Minor Deflector Adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minor Deflector Adjustment

Added another set of bolts to the UDS to allow positioning of the deflector a little higher above the charcoal basket.

I'm thinking this will help with convection and also keep the deflector from smoking grease during high heat cooks.

So there are four sets of bolts and for information sake (I get asked a lot ) the measurements from the top of the drum's rolled edge are . . .

First
    1-1/4" Top rack used for double cooks with Weber lid

Second
    6-3/4" Main rack that is 24" from the bottom of the charcoal basket.

Third
    12-1/4" New position to place deflector on or charcoal basket for grilling.

Fourth
    18-3/4" Lower position where deflector sometime sets and charcoal basket when doing some grilling as well.

I'm sure if someone rounded to the nearest inch, it would still work just fine.

Dave
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

A 1/2 pan filled with water will rid you of much of your grease sizziling issues...
    Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Wanna build me a drum, one day I will...one day.
      There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Dave, watcha gonna put under that new rack to keep it from drippin down and smokin?? The added distance gonna keep it from flaring up?
        Don

Humphrey's Pint
        Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"
        Weber Performer (Black Top, Stainless Steel Table Edition circa 2005)
        Blackstone Professional Series 36" Griddle
        Weber Spirit SP-310 Gas Grill
        Anova One Sous Vide
        AMPS
        Purple Thermapen
        Maverick ET-733
        DigIQ DX2
        Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IrishChef View Post
          A 1/2 pan filled with water will rid you of much of your grease sizziling issues...
          Originally posted by tadowdaddy View Post
          Dave, watcha gonna put under that new rack to keep it from drippin down and smokin?? The added distance gonna keep it from flaring up?
          I hope so.

But I think some clarification is in order.

When the deflector is on the bottom set of bolts and I am cooking at a temp of 240° when measured on the 2nd grate, dripping fat sizzles on the deflector but does not burn or make smoke.

When the deflector is on the bottom set of bolts and I am cooking at a temp of 315° when measured on the 2nd grate, the deflector was MUCH hotter and dripping fat was smoking on the deflector.

The new (3rd) set of bolts will give the deflector an additional 6-1/2" between the charcoal basket and the deflector. I believe this will keep the deflector from getting hot enough to cause the dripping fat to smoke during a higher temp (300°) cook.

I could, however be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

But, additionally, I remember SmokeMiester (who designed the deflector that I am using) posting that he good results with the deflector higher up from the charcoal basket than I had originally placed it. I believe it will allow for greater convection and hopefully extend the burn times a bit while still keeping a majority of the dripping fat from hitting the coals (or something else hot enough) and smoking.

So the purpose of the extra set of bolts is more than just trying to avoid the brisket disaster I experienced earlier in the week. It is an idea that I had been toying with for awhile but had not gotten motivated enough to do it. It also gives me a lot of flexibility when using the UDS as a grill as I have in the past. I can place the charcoal basket closer to the grate for grilling. But with the recent acquisition of the kettle, I'm not sure how often that would happen.

Plus with all the talk of cooking stuff in foil pans that has been posted lately, I just may change my process and do some of that as well.

Dave
          UDS 1.0
          Afterburner
          Weber Performer
          Blue Thermapen
          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
          Auber Smoker Controller
          -

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post

Dave
            I see you mention SmokeMiester designed the heat deflector. Is there a place they are available to purchase?

I still haven't got mine put together and have a friend interested in adding a heat deflector to a drum he just recently put together... do you suggest this style as the best design you have found so far?
            --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
            www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Don't tell me I need a heat deflector I thought I was done shoping
              sigpic

Mary had a little lamb her father shot it dead, now it goes to school with her between two lumps of bread

Comment

Originally posted by MossyMO View Post
                I see you mention SmokeMiester designed the heat deflector. Is there a place they are available to purchase?

I still haven't got mine put together and have a friend interested in adding a heat deflector to a drum he just recently put together... do you suggest this style as the best design you have found so far?
                I do prefer that design over anything else I have used. There isn't anywhere that you can buy them. Thunderdome (Bill) contacted SmokeMeister awhile back and found enough buyers to where they could have some made.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15501

Originally posted by dales133 View Post
                Don't tell me I need a heat deflector I thought I was done shoping
                I don't know that you need one. You may want one though. Some folks just use a perforated pizza pan.

Dave
                UDS 1.0
                Afterburner
                Weber Performer
                Blue Thermapen
                Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                Auber Smoker Controller
                -

Comment

Working...
                X