Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The beautiful Mrs. Tas makes cream puffs

From my wife:

It has become a tradition in our household to make cream puffs each year for Ron's dad, and this year was no exception. His birthday falls on St. Joseph's day each year, and it wasn't until last year that we discovered that an Italian cousin to cream puffs, called zeppole, are traditionally served on the same day.

I learned a few things about cream puffs when I did a quick search on Wikipedia. For one thing, the cream puff is known outside the US as profiterole, and in France as houx à la crème:

A profiterole, cream puff (US) or choux à la crème is a choux pastry ball filled with whipped cream, pastry cream, or ice cream. This treat is usually very sweet. The puffs may be decorated or left plain or garnished with chocolate sauce, caramel, or a dusting of powdered sugar.

The term profiterole is traditionally used for small versions filled with whipped ice cream and topped with chocolate, although the usage varies and can include other fillings.

The choux paste is piped through a pastry bag or dropped with a nugget or pair of spoons into small balls and baked to form largely hollow puffs. Then the puffs are filled by slicing off the top, filling, and reassembling, or by injecting with a pastry bag and a narrow piping tip. The most common dessert presentations involve ice cream, whipped cream or a pastry cream filling, and are served plain, with chocolate sauce, or with a crisp caramel glaze. They can also be topped with powdered sugar, frosting, or fruit.

The origin of both the pastry and its name profiterole are obscure. However many sources suggest North Eastern Italy. The word profiterole (also spelled prophitrole, profitrolle, profiterolle) has existed in English since the 16th century, borrowed from French. The original meaning in both English and French is unclear, but later it came to mean a kind of roll 'baked under the ashes'. A 17th-century French recipe for a Potage de profiteolles or profiterolles describes a soup of dried small breads (presumably the profiteroles) simmered in almond broth and garnished with cockscombs, truffles, and so on. The current meaning is only clearly attested in the 19th century. The "cream puff" has appeared on US restaurant menus since 1851, if not earlier.
    Here's the recipe I've always used, which is from my Betty Crocker Cookbook:

For 10 cream puffs:

1 cup water
    1/2 cup butter or margarine
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    4 large eggs

Whipped cream filling:

2 cups whipping cream
    1/4 cup granulated or powdered sugar (I've always used granulated)

Heat oven to 400 degrees. In 2 & 1/2-quart saucepan, heat water and butter to rolling boil. Stir in flour; reduce heat to low. Stir vigorously over low heat about 1 minute or until mixture forms a ball; remove from heat. Beat in eggs, all at once; continue beating until smooth.

On ungreased cookie sheet, drop dough by slightly less than 1/4 cupfuls about 3 inches apart. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until puffed and golden. Cool away from draft, about 30 minutes.

To make the filling: In large bowl, beat whipping cream and sugar with electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form.

Cut off top third of each puff and pull out any strands of soft dough. Fill puffs with filling; replace tops. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate up to 4 hours.
    Making cream puffs is easy. First, you make the puffs themselves. Here's all you need:

I'm making a double batch, so 2 sticks of butter and 8 eggs will be used, in addition to the correct amount of water and flour.

Begin by preheating the oven to 400 degrees, then melting the butter in a saucepan:

As it melts, add the water:

Soon it will reach a rolling boil:

After adding the flour, reduce the heat and stir it all together until it holds together:

Then transfer the mixture to a bowl and add the eggs:

Keep beating the mixture until it is smooth:

Then drop your puffs onto an ungreased baking sheet:

Here's what they look like after about 35 to 40 minutes:

Next, prepare your cream filling. You will need this:

I use granulated sugar, but you can also use powdered sugar:

I have it out because I will be topping the finished cream puffs with it.

Add the sugar to the cream in the required amount, and whip them together:

You want to do this until it forms stiff peaks.

Once the whipped cream is prepared, we also add some jelly, jam or marmalade:

It is a tradition to use a different flavor every year. We've used everything from strawberry, blueberry and raspberry to currant, pineapple and apricot. This year, we are using orange marmalade.

Keeping with the orange theme, I also zested a couple of oranges for garnish:

Add enough to flavour the cream:

Half the jar is probably about right, although tastes will vary.

Stir the flavoring into the cream like so:

By now, the cream puffs will have cooled enough to fill them. Cut the top third off the puff:

Sometimes they are hollow, sometimes we have to hollow them out a bit. Anyway, give the puffs a healthy dollop of the filling:

Replace the top, and repeat until all cream puffs are filled.

Here are some of the finished cream puffs with the powdered sugar and orange zest garnish:

It is our tradition to take them out to Ron's dad with his birthday cards and other gifts on his birthday. Each year, the big surprise is what flavor we used, and Grandpa will be very happy to get them.
    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
    Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

OMG!!!!!! That's not only awesome, butt incredible!!! Thank you for sharing this!! I'd give you for this, butt the points nazi is still lurking... Ken?

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Oh yeah, the Mrs. Bark also makes the exact same ones!! The only difference is that she takes the "insides" out of the puff to hold more cream!! You are a happy one eating those!!
      Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
      Yoder YS640
      Weber Genesis
      Weber 18.5" Kettle
      Weber Performer
      Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

OH HELL YEAH! I'm gonna shamelessly steal these and put them in my belly.
        BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
        Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
        I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Yep, Gotta do this myself for sure!!!

Comment

Ron, those look exactly like the ones me mom makes... the only difference is she dont do the twist with the orange. but i would give that a shot for sure. for a recipe i remember as a kid and every now and then we still get to enjoy them. another thing that is good is to put fresh strawberrys or raspberrys in the filling...

guess i have to owe ya, the points police got me points incarcerated...
            Charbroil SFB
            GOSM
            MES
            Dutch Ovens and other CI
            Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
            Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

We buy those at Sam's Club and we just love them. I can only imagine that the homemade ones are that much better. Great job! I just can't get into baking or I would give those a try for sure.
              Propane Smoke Shack
              UDS
              Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
              sigpic

Comment

Great tutorial as usual Ron - I have not made these for a long time and you just sparked the need to do them again. Just like my mom made
                Scarbelly

Comment

Yeeeha!!!

The Beautiful Mrs Tas makes some Beautiful Cream Puffs!!!!-----

I'd be all over those things!!!!

Bear
                  Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                  Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Very nice Mrs. Taz! Pate Choux is very fun to make and I love that orange filling you did. Great job!!!!

Comment

I love cream puffs and these look fantastic! In addition to the sugar, I usually drizzle melted chocolate over mine.
                      Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                      Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                      1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                      Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                      Weber Smokey Joe
                      Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                      Pink Thermapen
                      Purple Thermapen

Comment

those look great....love the orange! you might get them to be more hollow if ya add one egg at a time and don't add the next one until the prior one is incorporated.
                        sigpic
                        it's all good my friend..........

Comment

hey, everyone, many thanks for the kind words, and the points ~ i'll be sure to pass the praise along to the beautiful mrs. tas!

rob, your suggestion makes perfect sense, and we'll give it a try next time we make these - thanks!
                          Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
                          Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

Working...
                          X