Wondering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wondering

I picked up some Brine for some lake trout, and salmon that I want to smoke. I am going to be using Alder and keep her at about 200 for 2 hrs. If that does not sound right any input from you vets would be greatly appreciated. Now the question is do I have to brine before I smoke the fish?? What is the benefit?? Thanks everyone for the help!!

Brining adds flavor and helps draw excess moisture from the meat... in fish's case. It will make for a firmer more appetizing product. I prefer a dry mix myself. A coat of Kosher, brown sugar, onion, and garlic powder. But as yer in a hurry... go with what ya got.

Fish is done when the thickest portion "flakes" easily. Chill after for best results.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

If you have time consider searching some of the slamon posts here. I actually use cure (tenderquick) on mine usually. Compress them, let the moisture weep out, then dry a bit to form a pellicle... a protein layer on the surface that helps keep the fish firm and moist, not soggy.
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

2 hrs would be a good guess but again time is just a guess. cook untill the meat is flaky and firm.
        2-22.5'' weber
        1-18'' weber
        1 smokey joe
        22.5'' wsm
        24'' smoke vault
        1-outhouse
        Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
        Smoked meathead #135

Comment

2 hours sounds fine.
          I've smoked whole trout and quite a bit of salmon sides.
          One thing I would recommend is to smoke them in an enclosed tray - just the sides, obviously you need the top free so it can take some smoke :-).
          That way all the juices stay with the fish and keep it moist.
          Never yet brined one or felt any need to, so can't help with that aspect.

Sides have been cooked several ways: best to date is dutchs maple glaze - but rubbing honey and garlic on works too.
          The trout I just rubbed with some evoo and stuffed the gut void with herbs - real good that was too.

Just keep the temps low and the juices with the fish and you can't really go wrong.

So how big are these trout then ?

ps: dutchs maple glaze recipe.
          Maple Glaze for Salmon

1 cup pure maple syrup
          2 tablespoons finely grated peeled fresh gingerroot
          4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
          3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
          1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
          1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
          Fresh ground pepper to taste

In a small heavy saucepan simmer maple syrup, gingerroot, 3 tablespoons lemon juice, soy sauce, garlic, lemon zest and pepper to taste until reduced to about 1 cup, about 30 minutes, and let cool. (Maple glaze may be made 2 days ahead and chilled, covered. Bring maple glaze to room temperature before proceeding.)

In another small saucepan heat half of glaze over low heat until heated through to use as a sauce. Stir in remaining tablespoon lemon juice. Remove pan from heat and keep sauce warm, covered.

NOTE: If you simmer the glaze for the full 30 minutes it will be more of a basting sauce. To use as a mop, divide the glaze into two equal portions after simmering for 5 - 10 minutes (long enough for the flavors to meld together). Simmer the second portion for the remaining 20 minutes and then add the last teaspoon of lemon juice. Serve as a side sauce.

The original recipe listed "Salt to taste". Since this recipe also contains soy sauce I omitted the salt altogether and replace the soy sauce with a "Low Sodium" Soy sauce.

If you choose to "spray" your mop, strain the sauce through some cheese cloth or pour though a fine mesh strainer to remove the garlic, ginger root and lemon zest.

Enjoy!!
          I'm going to try a version without maple syrup as maple syrup has now hit £4 per 250 ml (yep around $6 per 1/2 pint, which is too mrich for my wallet at the moment) so I'm thinking maybe substitute with a honey and apple juice mix.
          haven't tried it yet. let you know when it does.
          Last edited by curious aardvark; 05-24-2009, 07:26 AM.
          Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Thanks for the help CA. I can't wait to try it!!! It was a lake trout so its about 7-8 lbs, and the salmon came from a 28 lber and it's a quarter filet. I was thinking about rapping the grill in foil and punching a few holes in the bottom to allow for smoke. What do ya think about this idea??? thanks

Comment

for me fish takes on plenty of smoke through the open top.
              given that fish has a fairly delicate flavour I like the smoke to complement it rather than take over.
              Bacon you want real smoky but fish - for me - only needs hint of smoke.
              Plus if you punch holes in the bottom, you'll lose all that great juice :-)
              And once cooked and cooled the juice is a great base for a table sauce as well !
              so if it were me I'd just line the tray/grill with foil, or even cook it in a sided baking tray or roasting dish if that's more practical :-)

ps. however you cook it -don't forget the pics, without pics it's just virtual food
              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Thanks CA, makes alot of good sense to me. As long as it works out rest assured there will be pics to follow. If not....NO PICS NEVER HAPPENED!!!

Comment

Working...
                X