No announcement yet.

The Desert From My Contest Entry - Flambee'd Butter Rum fruit Phyllo Dough Tart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Desert From My Contest Entry - Flambee'd Butter Rum fruit Phyllo Dough Tart

I wanted to post my desert from the June contest - A Flambee'd Butter Rum peach and pear butter rum tart in a crispy phyllo dough with toasted pine nuts and gorgonzola cheese...it really rocked.

I started with some peaches and pears.

Toasted some pine nuts too...

Put the peaches and pears in a pan with some melted butter and some brown sugar.

Added some vanilla and some cinnamon, and then dumped in a bunch of this...

This is actually on fire (but the camera isn't showing it)...scared the hell out of Hannah the Cow Girl...I lit it up and it made that "Whoosh" sound...she thought she had been had and exited the kitchen really fast!

Next take some phyllo dough sheets and butter each of them with a brush

I stacked 'em about 4 high and then folded them in two to wedge into a muffin pan.

Add the fruit mixture, and top with toasted pine nuts and some gorgonzola cheese. If you use blue cheese, add way more. I know it sounds kind of wierd, but it really works like this...it is an awesome compliment to the other flavors that are going on.

Bake at 350° until the phyllo dough is crispy and golden brown, the cheese is melty, and the filling is bubbly delicious.

Serve it hot with some ice cream!
    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Looks good fro this side of the screen... I do however have a protest.... I am so damn sick of hearing about pine nuts. Could care less if pines have nuts but it seems they are all the buzz these days. Nice post though and heres to next month.

Comment

Originally posted by THE__DRIFTER View Post
      Looks good fro this side of the screen... I do however have a protest.... I am so damn sick of hearing about pine nuts. Could care less if pines have nuts but it seems they are all the buzz these days. Nice post though and heres to next month.
      Hey Drifter...Thanks for the words and points...I really like pine nuts...especially toasted. I hate to have a salad without them...they also lend themselves really well to deserts like this, and they are an absolute must have for a decent pesto. They have been through the roof expensive, but I just recently splurged on a giant bag at Costco...I love 'em! Now if I could get my basil to grow some...this heat is just kickin' its butt.
      BBQ Eng.

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Looks DD Delicious Dana ..... Love the line "and then dumped in a bunch of this"
        sigpic

Comment

Great work! That looks really tasty and thanks for sharing the recipe gonna bookmark the Hell out of this one !!!
          There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Outta Points But that looks Decadent as can be.
            sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

Originally posted by Critterhunter View Post
              Outta Points But that looks Decadent as can be.
              Did i read rays post right??? Decadent....

Dana that really looks awesome. i must say that your entry picture dont do it justice. the better pics of it in this post really made it look more better, ok maybe even Decadent...

always wanted to mess with some a that phyllo dough and now this on me list, thanks for sharing!
              Charbroil SFB
              GOSM
              MES
              Dutch Ovens and other CI
              Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
              Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Awesome dessert, Dana.

I'm going to give this one a try. The kids are simply fearless when it comes to "creations" as they call them. The next chance I get, we're going to give this one a go.

PS...I also LOVE pine nuts!!! To toast them, I'm assuming you just used a CI skillet and shook the hell outta them? Never done that before.

Oh yeah - and have some of these!!

Comment

Originally posted by WALLE View Post
                  PS...I also LOVE pine nuts!!! To toast them, I'm assuming you just used a CI skillet and shook the hell outta them? Never done that before.
                  Hey Tracey,

Yeah, toasted pine nuts are the bomb...into the oven at 300-350 degrees and let them get hot...shake 'em around when they start to get toasted which will reveal their untoasted underbelly. Back in the oven. Once they start to get toasted, they will finish pretty quick, so keep a close eye on them...I have gotten distracted for a couple of minutes before and ended up with a batch for the garbage and then I got to do it over and watch them properly.
                  BBQ Eng.

Comment

That's one fantastic looking dessert, Dana. I'll be trying it as soon as the peaches are ripe here in the valley.
                    sigpic
                    Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Great looking dessert and recipe.
                      Always used phyllo dough for traditional Greek recipes. (stuff is a pain in the a$$ to work with) Definitely going to give this a go.

Comment

Fabulous dessert, Dana, and great entry. I don't know if I like pine nuts or not....never had them but I bet pecans or walnuts would be pretty good too.
                        Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                        Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                        1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                        Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                        Weber Smokey Joe
                        Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                        Pink Thermapen
                        Purple Thermapen

Comment

That does sound strange... strangely tasty!
                          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by sweet_magnolia View Post
                            I don't know if I like pine nuts or not....never had them but I bet pecans or walnuts would be pretty good too.
                            Give em a try Becky. Very tasty and versatile little guys.

Comment

Dang Dana, that dessert looks awesome!!!!
                              Don

Humphrey's Pint
                              Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"
                              Weber Performer (Black Top, Stainless Steel Table Edition circa 2005)
                              Blackstone Professional Series 36" Griddle
                              Weber Spirit SP-310 Gas Grill
                              Anova One Sous Vide
                              AMPS
                              Purple Thermapen
                              Maverick ET-733
                              DigIQ DX2
                              Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X