Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PID Controlled Traeger/Masterbuilt Combo

My current Modified Smoker Combo

Here is how the modifications evolved over the years.

Six year old standard Traeger Lil Tex Pellet Smoker with heat and smoke provided by pellets which is consider by KCBS to be competition legal. Replaced the 3 position control with a digital control, added a second shelf, modified the auger, replace standard auger motor with high speed auger motor and added a chimney.

Added Smoke Daddy and A-Maz-Smokers

Smoke from Smoke Daddy. I have since moved the input below the drip pan.

Design an Auber PID Control System, based on Billy Merrill concept, and built it using off the shelf products. Added an adjustment for fan airflow and auger speed.

Added Rock's Stoker with wifi setup to provide monitoring of up to four meats and pit temperature. Added an interface between the Auber Controller and the Rock's Stoker which provides me the capability to adjust pit temperature remotely through my home network or the internet. This also provides me the capability to program pit temperature changes based on time or food temperature. This is KCBS legal.

Attached a Master Built Smoke house to increase cooking area from 422 to 1139 square inches and to hang sausages. Heat and smoke travels from the Traeger through the MB and out of the MB upper exit vent. I left the propane installed to provide the additional capability to operate the propane side with or without the Traeger operational.

sigpic

hot damn Savannah, That baby has everything except the two inch white wall tires and the curb feelers. Fuzzy dice from the rear view...check. Dingle balls from the head liner...check. Super charged hi performance engine...check. Hydraulic suspension...check. High power kick ass thumper stereo...check. You are ready to roll!

I'd like to find an auger type system and bolt that to one of your savannah stoker PID controls...I got lot's of steel to put to use.
    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

That's really cool.... Nicely thought out too.... on re-load
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
        I'd like to find an auger type system and bolt that to one of your savannah stoker PID controls...I got lot's of steel to put to use.
        Dennis who sells the Smoke Daddy will sell the complete hopper/auger assembly. It slide in and is mounted with 4 bolts. I remove and re-install my assemble twice a year when I pressure wash the pit.

I set one up for a friend of mine and the price at that time was $295.00. At that time there was two sizes available.

BTW I am going to add an electric element to the MB side.
        Last edited by Savannahsmoker; 07-17-2012, 10:01 AM.
        sigpic

Comment

As many know the Traeger temperature has major swings when using the standard controller and a PID reduces the swing.

If anyone is curious here is a video I made showing start up and operational features up to temperature 180.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrP2x...1&feature=plcp

Temperature control of an standard Traeger is un-stable at best. Here is a video showing the stability of this system at 192 degrees.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS5am...2&feature=plcp
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X