Smoked trout from the creek, Erains Brine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoked trout from the creek, Erains Brine

The other day I wanted some fish for dinner, so I quickly drove down to the creek, tossed in the line and in about an hour, had 5 decent size trout. Wife said she didn't want fish and the boy wasn't home so the next logical thing to do is smoke em. Used Erains brine that he uses on his lakers that he catches (which I have yet to get the local from him lol).

Now these trout would probably be a bit more well suited for the fry pan as they are NOT huge, but wanted to try in anyhow.

Split them and removed the backbone. Then placed in the brine overnight.
    Next day, rinse and let them sit in cold water for one hour.
    Removed, let pectile form and added just a bit of light brown sugar along with some coarse black pepper.

In the smoker for a few hours burning Alder.
    Once done, removed and let the chill a bit.

My only regret is that they were not bigger. Great taste. Might let them soak a bit longer next time to remove a bit more salt but please with the taste. Cool thing is, the same creek that has these trout, also has some big ass suckers. Water temps right around 45-50, bet them would smoke up and taste great. Well that's it. A while since I posted anything I smoke, figured I best throw something up

Thanks E for posting your recipe.
    https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

cool beans on them trouters...never had me a creek trout as of yet, do they have the typical "trout fat" in them or are they more lean than a lake type trout. curious as they are working against a current at all times so mebe they a little more lean fish?

less fat fish will absorb faster, and maybe for the size next time leave unsplit or like you said soak longer after in fresh or even go with a shorter initial brine soak. look most excellent.
    Charbroil SFB
    GOSM
    MES
    Dutch Ovens and other CI
    Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
    Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Thanks E. Yeah, the steam trout have the fat/oil in them. Not like the lake trout pictured in your thread, but they do have it. Especially noticeable after they have been in the smoker a bit. Starts to come out of the meat.

I thought maybe I should have left them whole, but at the last minute, decided to split them. Next time, whole. A shorter brine time on these, given their size is the way to go I believe. Water levels are so low down here right now in the streams, holes that were once 5-6 feet deep are now a foot or so

Figured I best go back and catch more before the stream dries up lol

Not sure what the rules are on netting suckers in MN. I'm sure it's legal, but gonna call the DNR to make sure. I think those that live in that cold water would make a great smoked fish.

Comment

Never had smoked trout, but I do love me some smoked sucker.

Comment

Toast & side stick some bacon!
          Sunset Eagle Aviation
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Haven't had fresh trout in years, much less smoked. Nice stuff man, always enjoyed your posts.
            Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
            My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
            @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Yum yum gotta love some smoked trout
              sigpic

Mary had a little lamb her father shot it dead, now it goes to school with her between two lumps of bread

Comment

I love me some smoke trout ,.. but sure hurts me to see those specks/brokies smoked and not pan fried.
                sigpicbrinkman pitmaster deluxe
                members mark upright propane smoker
                kingsford bbq
                23"weber kettle

Comment

Damn, now I got a hankering for some smoked trout....
                  Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Originally posted by Meat Hunter View Post
                    The other day I wanted some fish for dinner, so I quickly drove down to the creek, tossed in the line and in about an hour, had 5 decent size trout. Wife said she didn't want fish and the boy wasn't home so the next logical thing to do is smoke em. Used Erains brine that he uses on his lakers that he catches (which I have yet to get the local from him lol).

Now these trout would probably be a bit more well suited for the fry pan as they are NOT huge, but wanted to try in anyhow.

Split them and removed the backbone. Then placed in the brine overnight.
                    Next day, rinse and let them sit in cold water for one hour.
                    Removed, let pectile form and added just a bit of light brown sugar along with some coarse black pepper.

In the smoker for a few hours burning Alder.
                    Once done, removed and let the chill a bit.

My only regret is that they were not bigger. Great taste. Might let them soak a bit longer next time to remove a bit more salt but please with the taste. Cool thing is, the same creek that has these trout, also has some big ass suckers. Water temps right around 45-50, bet them would smoke up and taste great. Well that's it. A while since I posted anything I smoke, figured I best throw something up

Thanks E for posting your recipe.
                    What do you mean by "Might let them soak a bit longer next time to remove a bit more salt but please with the taste"? How can it get LESS salty by sitting in the brine longer?

Thanks,

Selko

Comment

Brine Longer and Less Salty?

What do you mean by "Might let them soak a bit longer next time to remove a bit more salt but please with the taste"? How can it get LESS salty by sitting in the brine longer?

Comment

You had me hooked at "drove down to the creek and threw a line in" The only open water around here is the sanitary ship canal that flows from Chicago.....

I envy you guys up there. I think that the level of toxins in Lake Michigan around here finally allows an adult to eat 1 Lake Trout per lifetime, but its getting better.

Great looking post!

Comment

Originally posted by selko View Post

Thanks,

Selko
                          After soaking in brine, a fresh water soak is also done. He meant a little longer in the fresh water so it could become less salty.
                          Charbroil SFB
                          GOSM
                          MES
                          Dutch Ovens and other CI
                          Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                          Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Those Trout look awesome!!!

I'd be all over them!!

I know with my brine, I brine for less time on thinner fish, So that could be an option for you, along with "Not splitting" and soaking longer in fresh water.

If I were to choose, I'd go with shorter brine time.

Bear
                            Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                            Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by erain View Post
                              After soaking in brine, a fresh water soak is also done. He meant a little longer in the fresh water so it could become less salty.

Thanks E.

Comment

Working...
                              X