Brinkmann Gourmet Charcoal Smoker Mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brinkmann Gourmet Charcoal Smoker Mods

I am new to the forum, but I wanted to post a write up of how I modified my Brinkmann Gourmet Charcoal Smoker to be very similar to how the WSM operates. I obtained these ides from a write up I found online. These mods will definitely help with temperature control with the ECB and to assist with longer cooks. The longest cook i have done so far was 10 hours with only adding water to the water pan and wood chunks for smoke! this little thing is amazing now! Initially i cooked on it without adding longer legs to the bottom, but i ended up making longer legs which you can see later on in this post. Please let me know your thoughts/feedback :D

here is the finished product:

now down to business------

started by plugging the hole at the base with electrical box knock out plugs:

Next were the handles for the charcoal base:

Now to drill holes for the dampers on the base:

Now to add the dampers and bolts with nuts for levers:

All 3 dampers and levers installed:

bolts marked to raise charcoal grate:

bolts installed to raise charcoal grate:

grate raised:

screws installed to mark settings on bottom dampers---1/4 open, 1/2 open, 3/4 open, fully open:

view of finished base with extra charocal grate at 90 degrees to alleviate lump coal fall through:

WSM replacement temp gauge installed:

lid damper installed:

fire rope installed:

all done:

in action:

LEGS ADDED!

-Modified Brinkmann Gourmet Charcoal Smoker
    -22.5" Blue Weber Gold w/ weber side table
    -18.5" '69 daisy wheel Weber redhead restored
    -Smokey Joe Silver x 2 --- one turned Mini WSM
    -Coleman road trip grill
    -Charbroil performance gasser
    -Maveric ET-732
    -CI: Le Creuset#23, Wagner#3, Wagner square skillet, lodge#8, wagner #9 griddle, griswold #9 slant griddle, griswold #10 block skillet, griswold #5 small, griswold #7 slant skillet w/ heat ring, griswold #8 block with self basting lid

Impressive, VERY impressive! Like a lot of people, I went through several of these over the years. I now have a WSM, but after looking at yours, it looks like it would work just as well. Excellent job man!
    Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
    My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
    @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Very Cool! I like all of it. for thinking outside the box. My favorite part are the handles for the damper(s) GENIUS!

Comment

Very well done. I gotta wonder about the effort & cost versus cost of just getting the WSM. I don't know the cost of the initial smoker and the costs of the upgrades but I can't help wondering if it is worth it. I know the satisfaction factor of making your smoker way better than when you bought it is something to consider.
        MES 30"
        A-Maze-N pellet smoker
        Weber 22" kettle
        E-Z-Que rotisserie
        Weber Smokey Joe
        Big Weber Gasser
        Cracker Smoker
        UDS

Comment

Originally posted by L20A View Post
          Very well done. I gotta wonder about the effort & cost versus cost of just getting the WSM. I don't know the cost of the initial smoker and the costs of the upgrades but I can't help wondering if it is worth it. I know the satisfaction factor of making your smoker way better than when you bought it is something to consider.
          I bought the smoker for $80 and probably spent another $60 or so on materials for mods--- I had some stuff around in the garage. Time spent is probably 3-4 hours. It sure was fun though :D !
          -Modified Brinkmann Gourmet Charcoal Smoker
          -22.5" Blue Weber Gold w/ weber side table
          -18.5" '69 daisy wheel Weber redhead restored
          -Smokey Joe Silver x 2 --- one turned Mini WSM
          -Coleman road trip grill
          -Charbroil performance gasser
          -Maveric ET-732
          -CI: Le Creuset#23, Wagner#3, Wagner square skillet, lodge#8, wagner #9 griddle, griswold #9 slant griddle, griswold #10 block skillet, griswold #5 small, griswold #7 slant skillet w/ heat ring, griswold #8 block with self basting lid

Comment

YupYup! Great work RG! Hve some custom build/mod !
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I agree, great work! for the final product!
              Don

Humphrey's Pint
              Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"
              Weber Performer (Black Top, Stainless Steel Table Edition circa 2005)
              Blackstone Professional Series 36" Griddle
              Weber Spirit SP-310 Gas Grill
              Anova One Sous Vide
              AMPS
              Purple Thermapen
              Maverick ET-733
              DigIQ DX2
              Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X