UDS if you did it again what would you do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UDS if you did it again what would you do

I'm gonna start on my UDS and wondered for those of you that built them what would you change.
    Like bottom vents, ball valve or magnets and hight off the bottom.
    Hight of charcoal basket off the bottom.
    And any other thoughts, any advice would be apreciated
    sigpic

Mary had a little lamb her father shot it dead, now it goes to school with her between two lumps of bread

I'd go with two 1" intakes instead of three 3/4" intakes. I have a bit of trouble holding my preferred high 400°+ chicken cooking temps.

Other than that, I wouldn't change anything on mine.

Dave
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Install my wheels wider so winds don't take my drum over when empty.

Use shelving brackets so I can adjust by grill and firebasket height to anything at anytime.

Other than that...nothin

Comment

Since I like to use the guru I would only drill one intake hole. I know some of the guys will have a fit but that's ok.
        www.nopigleftbehind.com
        -----------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by gooose53 View Post
          Since I like to use the guru I would only drill one intake hole. I know some of the guys will have a fit but that's ok.
          I use the Auber often times. Sure does make that odd sized lump burn nice and steady. Even when the basket is filled clear to the top.

Dave
          UDS 1.0
          Afterburner
          Weber Performer
          Blue Thermapen
          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
          Auber Smoker Controller
          -

Comment

Originally posted by gooose53 View Post
            Originally posted by DDave View Post
            I use the Auber often times. Sure does make that odd sized lump burn nice and steady. Even when the basket is filled clear to the top.

Dave
            I plan on making another.And as said above I would go 1 intake for a Pitmaster 110.
            sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

What hight off the drum bottom is best for the air intakes?
              sigpic

Mary had a little lamb her father shot it dead, now it goes to school with her between two lumps of bread

Comment

Sounds like I'd go 2 1 inch I guess
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                  I'd go with two 1" intakes instead of three 3/4" intakes. I have a bit of trouble holding my preferred high 400°+ chicken cooking temps.

Other than that, I wouldn't change anything on mine.

Dave
                  Dave have to tried one with 2 1" intakes at all? What is the advantage you think, just that only having 2 intakes open is easier for more eficiency
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dales133 View Post
                    What hight off the drum bottom is best for the air intakes?
                    Intakes 2" from bottom of drum.

Bottom of charcoal basket 3" from bottom of drum.

Originally posted by dales133 View Post
                    Dave have to tried one with 2 1" intakes at all? What is the advantage you think, just that only having 2 intakes open is easier for more eficiency
                    No, but Thunderdome I think has. Two 1" intakes gives more volume (1.57 square inches total) than three 3/4" intakes (1.32 square inches total).

I'm not really worried about the number, I just want a wider range of airflow and temps. And I wouldn't put valves on both of them. Just one ball valve and caps on the rest.

Dave
                    UDS 1.0
                    Afterburner
                    Weber Performer
                    Blue Thermapen
                    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                    Auber Smoker Controller
                    -

Comment

Originally posted by ThunderDome View Post

Use shelving brackets so I can adjust by grill and firebasket height to anything at anytime.

Other than that...nothin
                      I had thought about putting some concrete maybe 1 inch or so in the bottom, not only to hold heat (but don't think that's a real problem) but to add a little weight to it. Both good ideas!
                      www.nopigleftbehind.com
                      -----------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by ThunderDome View Post

Other than that...nothin
                        Love the shelving bracket gig... great idea!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I also would go with 2 valves vs 3. Do the adjustable shelving rack, that would come in handy. I'd also hinge my weber lid, in fact, I still might retro fit the one that's on there. A pain to find a place to set it when taking meat off mopping etc.

I also have plans to run some thing gauge sheet metal around the drum creating a jacket with some 1/4" kaowool between the drum and the sheet metal. So much heat escapes that could otherwise be used to cook with and I think you could turn down the valves a bit doing this saving fuel.
                          https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                            Love the shelving bracket gig... great idea!!
                            not sure of this shelving bracket gig.....got pics?

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Leaving in about an hour to get both drum and weber. Gonna get weber first as the drum place has hindered so I'll look for a good fit
                              Feel like a kid at Xmas :)
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X