Carrier liquid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrier liquid?

Ya think some red wine would work for a carrier for some hi mountain jerky seasoning? If so, how much liquid per lb would be ok?

I ALWAYS use red wine in my jerky. Crap..there goes a secret. 1 cup/5Lbs.

Merlot or cabs
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Ty sir

Comment

Wine + meat...almost as natural as smoke + meat. Can't lose. Beer works too.
        A few of my favorite things:
        Good Whiskey
        Good Food
        Bad Girls
        sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
        Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

Wine works well as mentioned. I have also used a mixture of beer and worshy sauce. Not much, a cup will do.
          Don

Humphrey's Pint
          Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"
          Weber Performer (Black Top, Stainless Steel Table Edition circa 2005)
          Blackstone Professional Series 36" Griddle
          Weber Spirit SP-310 Gas Grill
          Anova One Sous Vide
          AMPS
          Purple Thermapen
          Maverick ET-733
          DigIQ DX2
          Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

what rich said.

Does depend what flavour profile you're aiming at with the jerky.
            Apple juice works better than wine if you're going for sweetish.

And 50:50 coke and red wine will also help tenderise the meat.
            I will never undetstand why people drink that stuff - but it's a useful for tenderising meat and cleaning things with real stubborn stains.
            Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Hmmmm.... Never seen a Hi Mt jerky cure/seasoning that called for any liquid. Is this just something you would like to add, or do they carry a product that calls for a liquid I have always been happy with their products
              sigpic

Comment

You'll first off get a better spice/cure distribution, and second, add flavor... third there is the anti-oxidant properties of the wine. Win-win-win!
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

what he said

There is ALWAYS room for improvement with commercial cure mixes :-)
                  Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                  Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

I'm with fish, never used a liquid for the Hi Mtn stuff. Do you just mix it up like regular, then add the cure/seasoning to the wine and marinate?

I typically measure and apply the cure, then do the spices afterwards.

if you're adding the cure to the wine, aren't the proportions going to be different? I know for TenderQuick it's a different ratio when doing wet vs. dry.
                    Mike
                    Life In Pit Row

Comment

I'm going to have to give this a try on my next jerky adventure.
                      Propane Smoke Shack
                      UDS
                      Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PitRow View Post
                        I'm with fish, never used a liquid for the Hi Mtn stuff. Do you just mix it up like regular, then add the cure/seasoning to the wine and marinate?

I typically measure and apply the cure, then do the spices afterwards.

if you're adding the cure to the wine, aren't the proportions going to be different? I know for TenderQuick it's a different ratio when doing wet vs. dry.
                        It's not really a "wet cure". A cup of wine in 5 pounds of meat disappears :{) It's all absorbed basically.

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                          It's not really a "wet cure". A cup of wine in 5 pounds of meat disappears :{) It's all absorbed basically.
                          Ah... gotcha. That makes sense now.
                          Mike
                          Life In Pit Row

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                            As long as you have two cups available...the cook WILL need one!
                            Mark
                            sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                            Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

my rule of thumb is 1 oz of liquid per pound of meat. 5 lbs. I'd add 5 oz liquid.
                              Col. Big Guy

Comment

Working...
                              X