Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Pheasant. OVERDONE, Need Salvage Advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoked Pheasant. OVERDONE, Need Salvage Advice.

Ok, so my neighbor whom I built a UDS for last year has been smokin off and on, when he can. He's not much for directions, you can give him a recipe and he'll say ok, then call ya and say well I didn't have such and such so I used this and I did it this way instead. He means well, he really tried, but yesterday, he was wanting to smoke up some Pheasant he had in the freezer from last year. Everything started out good, he made some ribs and some other things and left the breasts to finish smoking as they were only at 150 internal. He said he just wanted to go in and eat the ribs with the rest of the family and when he came out like 20 minutes later, internal temps of 190. YIKES. He figures the drum spiked when he took the ribs off, which it probably did.

What this all boils down to is......some very DRY Pheasant breasts. Very good flavor, subtle smokiness, but DRY. Desert dry. Dry like my wallet. Bone dry. See where I'm going with this?

So, what I want from you, is some sort of recipe, soup, stew, what ever that one could use this meat in to salvage it? Any ideas? Something simple, something fancy, I don't care. There's a good 1 1/2 pounds of meat to use so throw your ideas out there. I'm open
    https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

damn - pheasant's a little dry to begin with, and then he went and did that.... shame.

only think i can think of is some good, wet sauce. chop up the meat and add the sauce for sandwiches. or maybe have him mix them in with enchilada sauce and make enchiladas - or in gravy with veggies in a pastry crust for pot pies....
    Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 08-05-2012, 10:11 PM.
    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
    Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

I would do some soup or rice dish with it.
      MES 30"
      A-Maze-N pellet smoker
      Weber 22" kettle
      E-Z-Que rotisserie
      Weber Smokey Joe
      Big Weber Gasser
      Cracker Smoker
      UDS

Comment

here's a good pheasant stew from spain - it looks a little weird but once a person tries it, they love it:

http://foodsoftheworld.activeboards...._topic902.html
        Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
        Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

BBQ pulled pheasant, chili meat, or perhaps some sort of taco meat come to mind...
          Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Dang, that was some fast replies. I forgot to mention he gave the breasts to me just a while ago, said for me to use em if I could. I like the chili idea, but don't know if that would overpower the taste of the pheasant.

A rice soup sounds good too, perhaps with some sauteed hen of the woods shrooms tossed in?

Comment

Originally posted by Meat Hunter View Post
              Dang, that was some fast replies. I forgot to mention he gave the breasts to me just a while ago, said for me to use em if I could. I like the chili idea, but don't know if that would overpower the taste of the pheasant.

A rice soup sounds good too, perhaps with some sauteed hen of the woods shrooms tossed in?
              Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

I'd say like a tortilla chicken soup, but sub the chicken for the pheasant. Should still be able to get the flavor from it.
                Don

Humphrey's Pint
                Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"
                Weber Performer (Black Top, Stainless Steel Table Edition circa 2005)
                Blackstone Professional Series 36" Griddle
                Weber Spirit SP-310 Gas Grill
                Anova One Sous Vide
                AMPS
                Purple Thermapen
                Maverick ET-733
                DigIQ DX2
                Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tadowdaddy View Post
                  I'd say like a tortilla chicken soup, but sub the chicken for the pheasant. Should still be able to get the flavor from it.

Ohhhh, now that sounds like a good idea.

Give me a couple days and I'll put something together. Some good ideas for sure. to all.

Comment

Smoked pheasant Jambalaya!
                    "Because without beer, things do not seem to go as well"

Comment

Yea a soup or a braise in some chicken stock will work, rice soup was a good suggestion or simply braise it with veggies I had to do the same with some wild duck recently the soup was superb
                      sigpic

Mary had a little lamb her father shot it dead, now it goes to school with her between two lumps of bread

Comment

Originally posted by Meat Hunter View Post
                        Ohhhh, now that sounds like a good idea.

Give me a couple days and I'll put something together. Some good ideas for sure. to all.
                        Here's how I do mine (I pretty much eyeball everything):

8 Cups Chicken Stock (More if needed)
                        1 small bag frozen corn kernels
                        1 can black beans
                        1 can diced chiles
                        Minced Red Onion and garlic - Sauteed (amount is whatever you prefer)
                        1/2 cup white rice cooked
                        Cumin (to taste), I usually use at least 1.5 Tablespoons
                        Salt and CBP to taste
                        Chili Powder to taste
                        Cilantro- about 1/2 cup minced, no stems ( I put it in during the last 10 or so minutes of the cook)
                        Mexican Oregano - If you have it, if not, no biggie.
                        Chicken (Pheasant) - Chunked, usually 3/4 lb

I usually cook up the rice and set it aside. Cut up the onion and green pepper. Put all of my broth in a pot and add the beans, corn, and chiles. I then add my spices and let it cook for a good 20 minutes.

At that point, I add my rice, chicken, garlic, and onion. Cook for another 20 mins or so. Then add the cilantro and let it go another 10 or 15 mins. Really good stuff and actually very healthy. It's common that I use pulled chicken in this soup, and because its in big chunks or strips, I get the full smoked flavor from it. I use more cumin than chili powder in the broth. Don't want this to be a chili, make it brothy enough that it's a nice hearty soup.
                        Don

Humphrey's Pint
                        Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"
                        Weber Performer (Black Top, Stainless Steel Table Edition circa 2005)
                        Blackstone Professional Series 36" Griddle
                        Weber Spirit SP-310 Gas Grill
                        Anova One Sous Vide
                        AMPS
                        Purple Thermapen
                        Maverick ET-733
                        DigIQ DX2
                        Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hippy View Post
                          Smoked pheasant Jambalaya!
                          sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

Sounds good tadow, congee is similar too, it's rice porridge but savory some places make it more soupy than thick.
                            I make it with chicken or pork mostly you just boil chicken stock add herbs n spices of choice and meat, when the meats mostly done throw in raw rice and season with fish sauce, chilli oil and sesame oil.
                            I lives on the stuff in Laos and cambodia
                            sigpic

Mary had a little lamb her father shot it dead, now it goes to school with her between two lumps of bread

Comment

tell him he needs some poultry brine, and you know where to get it= so this won't happen again...
                              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
                              X