Ok another boring UDS thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok another boring UDS thread.

Sorry! I'm excited and I'm not totaly sure the direction I'm going but I see polished wood side tables big wheels and flames in my future, not to mention custom sturdy drum lifting proof stock weber handle mounts.
    sigpic

Mary had a little lamb her father shot it dead, now it goes to school with her between two lumps of bread

Ok as I posted previously I got a drum without a liner that had been used for paint thinners, weber lid is a good but TIGHT fit
    I was going to degrease the lid and sand down the drum rim for some clearance.
    Over the last few days I've got everything I think I need
    sigpic

Mary had a little lamb her father shot it dead, now it goes to school with her between two lumps of bread

Comment

I've found it a lot more expensive than what i thought setting out but i plan now due to costs making it something more than just an "ugly drum smoker" i wanna put my metal work and wood working skills to the task without spending much more than i have.

heres a basic brake down of what it cost me,

drum 20
      weber complete 22
      1 inch id nipples, washers caps lock nuts and valve 36
      stainless bolts for ash pan basket legs 15
      shelf bolts 10
      sand blasting drum 20 (can't burn it out here )
      belowV 60
      paint, i got 5 cans of high temp pant for just under 50

couldn't find expanded steel mesh that wasn't galv, I've gone for punched steel 2mm plate for the walls of the basket , he tells me its 58 % "hollow" as in there is 58% more air holes than steel,
      the plasma cutting me a base for my ash pan and supplying the 35mm, (1'1/4 ) sides to it I'm welding on.

unfortionatly i don't live in a major city so I'm stuck for choices for steel but the sash pan, and charcoal basket plus an insert for smaller cooks is gonna set me back 60 bucks, but he's forming it and taking it into place, ill weld it up myself.

as you can see it isn't a cheap one, well compared to what you pay in america
      lets hope its a good one that does me proud.
      ill get serious on the build this weekend of during the week if the weather shits itself
      sigpic

Comment

anyone know whats used to run maverick probes into a uds or webber, as far as the grommets used, i assume rubber would just burn ??
        any help would be appreciated
        cheers. Dale
        sigpic

Comment

Ok I got busy today and got some progress and some more parts

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344493488.558581.jpg
          10 inch all terrain wheels :p

Ash pan tacked up
          ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344493569.835421.jpg
          ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344493601.760901.jpg

Charcoal basket tacked up
          ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344493672.699944.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344493707.422855.jpg
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dales133 View Post
            anyone know whats used to run maverick probes into a uds or webber, as far as the grommets used, i assume rubber would just burn ??
            any help would be appreciated
            cheers. Dale
            I just drilled two small holes in the side of my UDS just big enough for my probe to fit through and I stick each probe through their own hole. But a lot of guys do buy a grommet at the local hardware store but I haven't ever looked for them. I believe they are some sort of electrical grommet but I'm not sure. I think I ended up having about $125-$150 into my UDS and that was having to buy everything. That's not a bad price for an awesome smoker in the overall scope of things.
            Propane Smoke Shack
            UDS
            Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
            sigpic

Comment

I do the same - drilled a hole in the side. I did it for all the WSM's too. Grommets are for sissies.....
              www.nopigleftbehind.com
              -----------------------------

Comment

The steel for my charcoal basket is aluminused or nikle plated buts it's all I can find, will it burn off when I season it or should I sand blast it?
                sigpic

Comment

Great Start
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rbranstner View Post
                    I just drilled two small holes in the side of my UDS just big enough for my probe to fit through
                    Ditto on the just drilling holes.

as you can see it isn't a cheap one, well compared to what you pay in america
                    I can't exactly say mine was cheap either.

Nothing wrong with making them look nice.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1708

Dave
                    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                    UDS 1.0
                    Afterburner
                    Weber Performer
                    Blue Thermapen
                    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                    Auber Smoker Controller
                    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                    -
                    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

What primer did you use Dave?
                      sigpic

Comment

Drilled and bolted basket and ash pan together, still need to do some more welding but finished late ish and was still ega to get something done

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344584570.825831.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344584598.191603.jpg
                        sigpic

Comment

What primer did you use Dave?
                          Duplicolor High Heat Engine Enamel Primer

http://www.jegs.com/i/Duplicolor/318...oductId=763060

Dave
                          UDS 1.0
                          Afterburner
                          Weber Performer
                          Blue Thermapen
                          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                          Auber Smoker Controller
                          -

Comment

Can't seem to find any primer here, I'll jump on the phone and ring around I guess
                            sigpic

Comment

Can't seem to find any primer here, I'll jump on the phone and ring around I guess
                              In all actuality, it may not need it. Unless you let the fire get away from you the UDS doesn't really get that hot. If you're primarily going to use it for smoking around the 250ish mark it's probably fine.

Now if you like doing chicken at 400+ like me, or you accidentally leave the lid off when removing pork shoulders then you'll probably want some high heat primer.

Dave
                              UDS 1.0
                              Afterburner
                              Weber Performer
                              Blue Thermapen
                              Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                              Auber Smoker Controller
                              -

Comment

Working...
                              X