Cooking with ci on flat top stove

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooking with ci on flat top stove

Our new house came with a fancy smooth top stove. It's nice and purdy but I fear my ci pans will scratch it. Ok my wife fears and. Ergo I fear it.

Ive seen ceramic covered do and wonder if there are frying pans like that too and if they are any good

Any thoughts or help are appreciated

To my understanding any pan can scratch the surface if you slide it on the glass top...you always want to pick them up when moving them. You also want to make sure the bottom of your pan is clean before placing it on the burner.

I have had a glass top stove for almost 3 years now and have used cast iron on it very carefully with no problems. Some say that CI will ruin the the burner but I've also heard a lot of folks say that if your CI sits FLAT with NO wobbles, it isn't an issue...so I make sure I don't use any pans that don't sit flat. And you also want to make sure your pan is the same size as the burner.
    Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
    Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
    1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
    Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
    Weber Smokey Joe
    Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
    Pink Thermapen
    Purple Thermapen

Comment

I use my CI pans on my glasstop stove all the time. Hasn't scratched it yet. While I don't purposely slide it around on the glass, I also am not very careful with it, so it does slide around some. I'm sure over time it'll eventually scratch the glass, but then the way things are made these days I'm sure something else will go wrong with it way before the glass gets bad enough to need replacing.

I think the biggest danger with CI and glasstop stoves is not cooking on them, but rather accidentally dropping the CI on it and cracking it, due to the CI's weight.
      Mike
      Life In Pit Row

Comment

Tks for the info

Comment

Originally posted by PitRow View Post
          I think the biggest danger with CI and glasstop stoves is not cooking on them, but rather accidentally dropping the CI on it and cracking it, due to the CI's weight.
          Yep, I am always so nervous that I am going to drop a CI pan. Hey, how do you clean your glass? I have some build up that I just can't get off no matter how much elbow grease I use. I have tried the glass polish, Windex and a mix of vinegar and water and still can't get some places clean.
          Becky

Weber Smokey Joe
          Pink Thermapen
          Purple Thermapen

Comment

>>>I have some build up that I just can't get off no matter how much elbow grease I use. I have tried the glass polish, Windex and a mix of vinegar and water and still can't get some places clean<<<

by chance it it kind of whitish, and seems to disappear when you clean it but returns a few minutes later? i have the same thing on one burner only. not sure what it is, not sure what to do, but if an answer is known, i'd love to hear it.

as to the original question - i use them all the time on ours, with no ill effects, the only real danger, as long as a person is careful and LIFTS rather than SLIDES, is the possibility of dropping one.
            Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
            Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

Originally posted by bigun94 View Post
              Our new house came with a fancy smooth top stove. It's nice and purdy but I fear my ci pans will scratch it. Ok my wife fears and. Ergo I fear it.

Ive seen ceramic covered do and wonder if there are frying pans like that too and if they are any good

[RANT-ON]Ditch the whole damned thing when ya can and go gas... UGH.[/RANTOFF]
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by bigun94 View Post

I've got a lot of that white shmeggy stuff off of ours with some brillo pads and 409.

I use my DO on the stove now and again, and it's never scratched it. I don't think I'm even that careful about it. I'm surprised Mrs Zip hasn't brought that up to me..... hrm...
                New Braunfels Black Diamond
                18.5" WSM
                Weber Performer Deluxe Black
                18.5 Weber Kettle
                22.5 Weber Kettle
                Maverick ET732
                6, 8, 10 and 12' Lodge DO

Smoked Meat Misfits: "the change it had to come. We knew it all along. We were liberated from the fold, that's all" - The Who.

sigpic

Comment

My last house as well as the new house we just moved into have the flat glass top stove and I use my CI fry pan on them all the time. I sure wish I had a gas stove.
                  Propane Smoke Shack
                  UDS
                  Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
                  sigpic

Comment

Sorry friend, but Ceramic is much harder than cast iron. Your Cast Iron stuff won't scratch it, but porcelain covered stuff is likely to. You have it backward. Use your cast iron stuff. However, I can tell you from experience that it WILL get scratched. It's kind of like a car, if you don't want it scratched, don't drive it.

I agree with you Rich, but in South Fort Worth, there is no natural gas. That's right, I lease my little postage stamp to folks drilling the Barnett shale for natural gas, we are sitting on a butt load of it, and I have an all electric house. Gas isn't even piped into that area at all!!!
                    A few of my favorite things:
                    Good Whiskey
                    Good Food
                    Bad Girls
                    sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
                    Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

Use CI on Louie's glass jacked stove...Got a few scratches...She cleans it with some stuff Cerama Brite & Pledge Specialty & a glass of Vino! Got a maintenance agreement...they will replace it for scratches!
                      Sunset Eagle Aviation
                      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by TasunkaWitko View Post
                        by chance it it kind of whitish, and seems to disappear when you clean it but returns a few minutes later?
                        Originally posted by MrZip66 View Post
                        I've got a lot of that white shmeggy stuff off of ours with some brillo pads and 409.
                        Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
                        Use CI on Louie's glass jacked stove...Got a few scratches...She cleans it with some stuff Cerama Brite & Pledge Specialty & a glass of Vino! Got a maintenance agreement...they will replace it for scratches!
                        Some is kind of whitish, some kinda clear. Thanks for the brillo / 409 and the Cerama Bryte tips. Going to give those a try and keep my fingers crossed!
                        Becky

Weber Smokey Joe
                        Pink Thermapen
                        Purple Thermapen

Comment

We have one at work at the firehouse. I hate it! Won't even boil a pot of water. Good thing we have two kitchens in the firehouse, the other is gas.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt View Post
                            We have one at work at the firehouse. I hate it! Won't even boil a pot of water. Good thing we have two kitchens in the firehouse, the other is gas.
                            Wow! Really? Mine will boil a big pot of water in 7 minutes or less. I timed it when I first got the stove because previously I was cooking on a one burner hot plate that would take about 30 minutes to boil. Does your pot wobble or sit flat?
                            Becky

Weber Smokey Joe
                            Pink Thermapen
                            Purple Thermapen

Comment

Originally posted by sweet_magnolia View Post
                              Wow! Really? Mine will boil a big pot of water in 7 minutes or less. I timed it when I first got the stove because previously I was cooking on a one burner hot plate that would take about 30 minutes to boil. Does your pot wobble or sit flat?
                              When you cook pasta for 4, it requires a big pot. lol

It has no trouble with a small sauce pan, but our big pasta pots, it sucks.

Comment

Working...
                              X