Chicken thighs, need some ideas.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicken thighs, need some ideas.

Some friends from church just had a baby, and we are going to bring them diner on Tuesday. I have been wanting to do some chicken thighs. I have never smoked chicken can someone give me some tips. Rub, time, temp?

Thanks,

Todd

I'll give it a try, although chicken isn't my best forte!

You will want to brine the thighs for 5-6 hrs. There are alot of recipes for brine, some folks like to marinade in italian dressing, I'm not one of them.After the brining,use a good rub. jamacan jerk seasoning or lemon pepper is a good one to start with, grillmates makes a nice poultry rub too.

Smoke em hot 250-275 if you can about 1 1/2 hrs on the grate, then into a pan (skin side down)with some bbq sauce cut with apple juice or even margarine a bit.I try to do about 1/2 hr to 45 minutes, then turn them over , and smoke another 30 minutes or so, untill they get to 165-170 internal temp.

Hope it helps for your first chicken thigh smoke!
    Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

Here be a brine an spritz fer ya, otherwise Dan got ya covered.

Slaughterhouse Poultry Brine By Tip Piper of Hillbilly Vittles
      1 ½ Gal Water
      ½ C Salt - Kosher
      ½ C Dark Brown Sugar
      2 tsp Garlic Powder
      2 tsp Onion Powder
      2 tsp Cajun Spice (Louisiana Cajun Seasoning)
      2 tsp Celery Seed

Slaughterhouse Poultry Injection
      ½ Pkg Good Seasons Italian Dressing
      2 tsp Garlic Powder
      2 tsp Celery Seed
      2 TBS melted Butter (non salted)
      2 C Apple Cider

Slaughterhouse Spritz (Good fer everthin!)
      8 oz Apple Cider
      6 oz Water
      4 oz Whiskey
      2 oz Cider Vinegar
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys. I didn't have time to do the brine. So I am using your suggestions and and some of what erain did in his post. I have them on the smoker now. I'll post some pictures later when they are done.

Todd

Comment

If you have not started yet...... Thighs are great with just a rub & smoked in Hickory. Go for it!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tee2 View Post
            Thanks for the reply guys. I didn't have time to do the brine. So I am using your suggestions and and some of what erain did in his post. I have them on the smoker now. I'll post some pictures later when they are done.

Todd
            Well, if your following Erain's directions, I am sure you'll do just fine. That guy is a cookin machine. I sometimes wonder if he and cowgirl have a cooking show together!
            Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

The thighs are done and I think my wife sums it up the best, "WOW!!!.

I think she was worried that it might not turn out and we would be scrambling to get diner for our friends. But everything turned out great. She even gave me the OK to start planning the new smoker and said to do it right.

Olive oil, and chicken rub.
              BBQ-1.jpg

No shots on the garbage can smoker, but here is when they came off. I also made some rolls, and chicken rice (Rice a roni, I need to find a recipe for this, we make it alot)
              BBQ-2.jpg
              BBQ-3.jpg

And something sweet to end the meal. Chocolate chip cookies
              BBQ-4.jpg

I can't wait to try this with a brine.

Thank to everyone on SM, this is a great site. Two months ago I would have never thought I could be making BBQ that taste SOOOOO good. And in a garbage can on top of that. My wife is such a picky eater and she had loved everything I have made too.

Comment

Bravo! Well DONE Tee2!

As far as the chicken rice here's something off the top of my head:
                Procure chicken stock...I like to make my own, but you can buy it as well.

Make up some moir poix - 1/3 each chopped onion, celery and carrots, a bit of oil- add rice and vermicelli mix, sauteed until veggies are translucent NOT brown!

Add appropriate amount of the chicken stock, cover and simmer low until tender.

Variations include white wine, chopped chicken, parsley, etc...

As I said..it's just off the cuff, but if you are familiar with cooking this sort of stuff you already got a plan :{)

If you need a "recipe" let me know.
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Try this.
                  http://www.smoker-cooking.com/smoked...en-thighs.html
                  Craig
                  sigpic

Comment

The next time you do chicken and I will bet soon, do try this brine. I smoked a 5.5 whole chicken a week ago with this and I added something that I never have before and I thought it was great......( lemon extract )

2 Gals. Water.... Reserve 2 Cups
                    2 Cups Kosher
                    1.5 Cups White Sugar
                    1.5 Cup Brown Sugar
                    1/3 Cup Molasses
                    1/4 Cup Worchester Sauce
                    1 Tbls. Lemon Extract

In a sauce pan heat 2 Cups to a low boil and add

2 Tbls. Course Black Pepper
                    1 Tbls. Dried Rosemary
                    1 Tbls. Dried Thyme
                    1 Tbls. Garlic powder
                    Let come back to a boil and turn down heat to simmer, simmer about 5 minutes, remove from heat and cover to let steep till cool.

Mix all the above in a sterile container and stir to dissolve completly. I like to make mine a day early and keep it in the fridge overnight before adding the poultry or you could cut back on the water and replace with ice cubes.

I like to brine whole birds for 12 hours. And this recipe could be cut in half for doing chicken parts. just be sure to keep the meat covered with the brine. After brineing just a quick rinse, a pat dry, then a little coating of olive oil and your favorite rub will do the trick.

I am glad that lemon extract Idea popped in my head it went compleatly to the bone along with all the seasonings and was not overpowering. If you give it try, let me know what ya think.
                    LEE

Comment

Working...
                    X