WK - had one before, considering getting another one again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WK - had one before, considering getting another one again

i haven't had a weber kettle in quite a while, but will keep my eyes out for one, because i'd like to get back to charcoal for grilling. propane is quick, convenient and easy, but charcoal lends a certain authenticity, in my opinion, and a WK can't be beat for that

when i had mine, i used it excusively for direct-heat cooking, so no questions there, but when it cmes to indirect heat, it seems to make sense to do the snake or some other similar arrangement running along the outside perimiter of the charcoal area, rather than piling it all up on one side. the perimiter idea seems like it would provide more even heat. any experiences there?
    Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 08-11-2012, 12:10 PM.
    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
    Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Originally posted by TasunkaWitko View Post
    i haven't had a weber kettle in quite a while, but will keep my eyes out for one, because i'd like to get back to charcoal for grilling. propane is quick, convenient and easy, but charcoal lends a certain authenticity, in my opinion, and a WK can't be beat for that

when i had mine, i used it excusively for direct-heat cooking, so no questions ther, but when it cmes to indirect heat, it seems to make sense to do the snake or some other similar arrangement running along the outside perimiter of the charcoal area, rather than piling it all up on one side. the perimiter idea seems like it would provide more even heat. any experiences there?
    My only real experience with the perimeter or snake style was 4.5 hours of it last night.... I'm an expert on it now ..... Butt, I am cooking a couple more butts today soon & am gonna try the perimeter method. I will keep you posted. One way I like to cook chicken is light a chimney & when they ash over bank them all on one side & cook the chicken indirect with wood chunks. Temps aboot 375-400.
    sigpic

Comment

hey, scott - thanks for the quick reply. i've got a post on the local "facebook" garage sales, seeing if anyone has one out there sitting in a garage or shed. i can't afford a new one and don't want a knock-off, unless folks have tested the pick-ur-mart brand and found them adequate?

let me know what you find out - the full-perimeter method seems to me like it would be "better" from an even-heating point of view, but it might not get the temps needed?
      Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

hey, scott - thanks for the quick reply. i've got a post on the local "facebook" garage sales, seeing if anyone has one out there sitting in a garage or shed. i can't afford a new one and don't want a knock-off, unless folks have tested the pick-ur-mart brand and found them adequate?

let me know what you find out - the full-perimeter method seems to me like it would be "better" from an even-heating point of view, but it might not get the temps needed?
        Ron, when I ran it last night with 4 lit coals it liked the 250ish range & seemed pretty stable once I got the air flow adjusted. I will try to get good pics & more detailed notes today
        sigpic

Comment

sounds good!
          Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Everything Fish said, and for direct heat, it is really only 15 minutes of inconvenience to get the coals lit! Hope you find one!!
            Lang 84 Deluxe (sold it, broke my heart)
            Weber Performer
            Weber 22.5" OTG
            Weber Q Tabletop Gasser
            Bunch of Sausage Makin' Kit
            Big Azz BBQ Concession Trailer
            BBQ Food Truck

Comment

>>>15 minutes of inconvenience to get the coals lit<<<

good point - i can even still use "ol' gasser" to start the charcoal chimney! :D
              Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

IMO, the perimeter method works well, but only with briquettes. Lump is to irregular to pull it off... But you really can't go wrong with a Weber...
                Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Coals on each side and meat in the middle and drip pan below works well for indirect heat IMO. I have also done the perimeter method for when I use my stone to cook pizzas. Additionally, for salmon I have half of the grate coals and the other half with none for indirect heat. Lots of options, just depends on what you are cooking and what you prefer :).
                  -Modified Brinkmann Gourmet Charcoal Smoker
                  -22.5" Blue Weber Gold w/ weber side table
                  -18.5" '69 daisy wheel Weber redhead restored
                  -Smokey Joe Silver x 2 --- one turned Mini WSM
                  -Coleman road trip grill
                  -Charbroil performance gasser
                  -Maveric ET-732
                  -CI: Le Creuset#23, Wagner#3, Wagner square skillet, lodge#8, wagner #9 griddle, griswold #9 slant griddle, griswold #10 block skillet, griswold #5 small, griswold #7 slant skillet w/ heat ring, griswold #8 block with self basting lid

Comment

Got the perimeter ring going now on somd butts. Layered 2 leaning against each other in rows, then 1 on top and wood chunks spaced throughout the ring. Started with 4 lit and it wanted to stay at 215 just added 2 more lit. See what happens.
                    sigpic

Comment

I recently bought a used WK for my Fire Station and I just finished cooking 2 yardbirds, spatchcocked and brined in MH brine overnight. The guys said it was the best chicken they have ever had. I put 1/2 of the chimney on one side & the other 1/2 on the other side with a drip pan in between. I put hickory chunks on both sides & ran it at 300* to 350* for 1 1/2 hours. I like putting the briquettes on both sides with smaller meats like chicken or ribs and I put it all on one side for butts & briskets. I will turn the butts a couple of times so the side that faces the coals doesn't get over done.
                      MES 30"
                      A-Maze-N pellet smoker
                      Weber 22" kettle
                      E-Z-Que rotisserie
                      Weber Smokey Joe
                      Big Weber Gasser
                      Cracker Smoker
                      UDS

Comment

2 more and 20 minutes later it climbed to 250 and we did have a bit of a light breeze come on. Adjusted bottom vents where i was at 250ish last and marked on the ash catcher. Dead nuts on 250 and steady for 1/2 +- hour then dropped to 235. Breeze is gone opened back up wide open now picking up some degrees and breeze is back. Just part of the fun.
                        sigpic

Comment

the full-perimeter method seems to me like it would be "better" from an even-heating point of view,
                          I think you'd be surprised at how even it cooks even with the coals banked on one side. When I did the chicken thighs maiden voyage cook, I had it set up like this.

I flipped the thighs but did not rotate them. I was amazed at how evenly they cooked. They all reached the finish temp at pretty much the same time.

I think there is a lot of convection going on in there due to the shape. And suspect that the Weber kettle has its distinctive shape for some very specific reasons.

Dave
                          CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                          UDS 1.0
                          Afterburner
                          Weber Performer
                          Blue Thermapen
                          Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                          Auber Smoker Controller
                          Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                          -
                          "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                            I think you'd be surprised at how even it cooks even with the coals banked on one side. When I did the chicken thighs maiden voyage cook, I had it set up like this.

I flipped the thighs but did not rotate them. I was amazed at how evenly they cooked. They all reached the finish temp at pretty much the same time.

I think there is a lot of convection going on in there due to the shape. And suspect that the Weber kettle has its distinctive shape for some very specific reasons.

Dave
                            With a indirect cook with coals banked like you did Dave & the other 1/2 of the grate filled with wings, etc. I often see items farthest away from the heat source on the opposite outer edge brown up before things closer to the actual heat source. Convection at work?
                            sigpic

Comment

>>>Convection at work?<<<

it sure seems like it and, like dave says, the design/shape evidently hasa lot to do with it.
                              Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Working...
                              X