Chargriller Akorn Kamado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chargriller Akorn Kamado

I just picked up one of these a few weeks ago from Lowes. So far I have to say I'm impressed with it. Although I've never owned a BGE or the equivalent, I have cooked on a Kamado Joe which I imagine would be near identical to cooking on a BGE. That being said I haven't yet smoked on it, but that is coming up the next time I can find time to hang around for 8 hours at a time. Still need to get the smoking stone for indirect cooking before I can do that.

Here are some pictures of the grill and of some steaks I did a 3,3,5,5 on which resulted in them being slightly overcooked. Next time it will be a 3,3,3,3.

I have modded the intake and put a gasket behind it. I still need to tighten up the latches, but other than that I'm 100% satisfied with it!
    Attached Files

Looking good.
    MES 30"
    A-Maze-N pellet smoker
    Weber 22" kettle
    E-Z-Que rotisserie
    Weber Smokey Joe
    Big Weber Gasser
    Cracker Smoker
    UDS

Comment

Ya know they had one on clearance at the local Winn Dixie...price was like 50 bux lesser than Lowes...Got the look then wave of from Louie! Get after it Man...you'll get it dialed in!
      Sunset Eagle Aviation
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Nice! I was just looking at one at Lowe's myself the other day!
        Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
        Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
        1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
        Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
        Weber Smokey Joe
        Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
        Pink Thermapen
        Purple Thermapen

Comment

Originally posted by sweet_magnolia View Post
          Nice! I was just looking at one at Lowe's myself the other day!
          X2...

Comment

Originally posted by jleiwig View Post
            I did a 3,3,5,5 on which resulted in them being slightly overcooked. Next time it will be a 3,3,3,3.
            Confused...not surprising cause have a few drinks in me but do you mean 3 minutes, flip or turn for diamond marks then flip turn type of combo?
            Good method turning for even cooking (personally I do one side with full grill marks then flip and rotate so only one time total and moved once per side) but 16 minutes cook time was definitely a bit long.
            Agree with a 3,3,3,3 sort of next time but maybe a 3,3,2,2 because the finished temp will rise while you allow the steak to rest.

Or Pittsburgh/blackened, can't go wrong with crispy crunchy on the outside and rare on the inside

Out of but loving the kamodo. Nice stuff
            There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fire it up View Post
              Confused...not surprising cause have a few drinks in me but do you mean 3 minutes, flip or turn for diamond marks then flip turn type of combo?
              Good method turning for even cooking (personally I do one side with full grill marks then flip and rotate so only one time total and moved once per side) but 16 minutes cook time was definitely a bit long.
              Agree with a 3,3,3,3 sort of next time but maybe a 3,3,2,2 because the finished temp will rise while you allow the steak to rest.

Or Pittsburgh/blackened, can't go wrong with crispy crunchy on the outside and rare on the inside

Out of points but loving the kamado. Nice stuff
              3 minutes each side direct heat over the coals, 5 minutes indirect each side away from coals. My wife likes shoe leather for a steak, but even she agreed it was overcooked. I was worried that at 3,3,2,2 would be too raw.

Comment

Overall I'm very impressed with this. Soon I will know if it smokes as well as it grills. It took 4 hours to completely cool down last time I used it. Very well insulated!

Comment

Looking at one myself, going shopping today and hopefully will find one on sale. Remember that the gauge on that kamado averages 40 deg or more off.
                  Smokin' in the valley! God bless the USA!!

Comment

Working...
                  X