Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Memorial Weekend Butt Smokefest at Hardhead Farm!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memorial Weekend Butt Smokefest at Hardhead Farm!

Howdy, and welcome to the Memorial Day Weekend Smokefest! We're proud y'all stopped by. After I got the tedium of work out of the way Friday, the festivities began!

Bud Light in the cooler and first one opened ... CHECK!

The Stanley Brothers and Hank Jr. on the CD player ... CHECK!

Rain was in the forecast, so I went to extraordinary means to make this ugly but effective (UBE) cap and stovepipe extension, which allowed me to wheel the smoker under a porch. Because I did all this extra work, it never rained a drop during the entire smoking process ... CHECK!

Cheat with an 18-pounder of Kingsford ... CHECK!

Add the sticks of Tennessee's Finest Hickory ... CHECK!

Take butts out of the marinade bags and slather with the stuff that makes 'em tastes good ... CHECK!

Temps are at 200, which is where the smoker seemed to be most comfortable the whole time, though we ran her up to 250 at times ... CHECK!

Slap those bad boys on there at 8 p.m. ... CHECK!

Let's get smoky! ... CHECK!

Have a midnight beer ... another in the long line as I "tended" the smoker, but they will make more! CHECK! (I turned in at 1 a.m.)

Get up at 6 and add a couple more sticks of wood, then snooze until 9 and take out the meat ... CHECK!

Covered and cooling ... CHECK!

Make the first pull, to find that even after 13 hours and the correct temp on the thermometer, it was done but not as tender as my standards. Take that pull and put it in the crock pot. The rest goes back on the smoker for another 3 hours ... CHECK!

Make the second pull, and Y-E-S-S-S, it is beautifully tender! CHECK!

Still cruising along at 225, it is time for the venison and sausage fatties ... CHECK!

The finished fatties -- one plain meat, one with Pepperjack cheese ... CHECK!

Redneck serving suggestion ... CHECK! My presentation skills suck ... CHECK! I used Jimmy Dean regular sausage and an equal amount of ground vension. That Jimmy Dean turned out spicy after 3 hours on the smoker! I might try mild next time. But they are yummy good! A great way to use the "leftover" heat from a smoke. Wifie is already requesting more be made and frozen for use in all kinds of dishes ... CHECK!

All in all, a successful smoky weekend! My coworkers are about to devour some of the pulled pork at lunch today. It's in the crock pot at my desk right now! Y'all come back!

It all looks just great and thanks for the laugh I needed it.
    Chargriller Pro w. sfb
    Ducane 4100 propane grill
    Brinkman Electric

Member # 200

Comment

Wish I had some of that right about now! Looks great and I'm gettin' hungry.
      sigpic
      Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Jimbob everything looks great! Especially like the anti-rain device- HOWEVER...

I could SWEAR there's lighter fluid on that Kingsford.... say it ain't so!
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

CHECK!.....Damn good lookin! Check!
          Sunset Eagle Aviation
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Man, that's an awesome smoke there JB! NICE!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Tasty looking feast Jimbob!
              jeanie

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/

Comment

Way to bring it Jimbob... Great looking smoke.. & Good tunes too... Points!
                Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                  Jimbob everything looks great! Especially like the anti-rain device- HOWEVER...

I could SWEAR there's lighter fluid on that Kingsford.... say it ain't so!
                  Yes, there is lighter fluid on that Kingsford. With the smoke chamber lid and fire door open, I let the charcoal burn down to all white before adding wood and commencing to smoke. Temp rises to 300, then I settle it to 225, which drives off the aromatics from the fluid, and the isolated smoke chamber in the double barrel design helps, too.

If I am going to go over to the dark side by cheating to shortcut the sacred process of really smoking meat with all wood they way God intended it to be smoked, then by golly, I am gonna use lighter fluid, too. The charcoal is a starter, not the main fuel as it would be in a UDS. I would be reluctant to use fluid in a UDS or any smoker without a separate smoke chamber.

I brought a huge crockpot full of the pulled pork in to work yesterday, and my coworkers feasted on my treat of sandwiches, chips, sweet slaw and pickle spears. People were positively ecstatic about the meat, and everyone around here grew up on cue. That's what counts.

Thanks to everyone for the points!

Comment

Nice work. At least you got your checklist completed.
                    KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

nice work my friend...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbob View Post
                        The charcoal is a starter, not the main fuel as it would be in a UDS. I would be reluctant to use fluid in a UDS or any smoker without a separate smoke chamber.
                        Point given...but that nasty petro smoke still gets into the chamber, and deposits it's devil spawn soot everywhere. An issue? Minor. But why not use a weed burner, or an industrial charcoal chimney/load chute setup?
                        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                          Point given...but that nasty petro smoke still gets into the chamber, and deposits it's devil spawn soot everywhere. An issue? Minor. But why not use a weed burner, or an industrial charcoal chimney/load chute setup?
                          I'm happy if y'all just promise not to tell the guy I apprenticed with for 2 years that I am using charcoal. I would never live it down. So let's keep it our secret, OK? I can't say I am proud of it, just too busy to do things the traditional way.

Comment

Heh..I have no problem using charcoal for a heat source. I'm sure you COULD burn all sticks in that, but you don't HAVE to. Another improvement would be lump charcoal. Less ash, more heat, cleaner burning. Couple that with a weedburner to light and I bet you see some improvment. In case ya get bored some day anyway...

Comment

Jimbob.
                              Great smoke and a hoot to read! Nice butts man, and your co-workers are happy oh so happy!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Working...
                              X