What size DO to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size DO to buy?

Heading up to bear, deer, coyote, almost elk country labor day weekend for a long weekend in the mountains of PA. Bro is part of a hunting camp up there and he reserves it for this weekend. We have a big camp fire going pert near all weekend long and I'm thinking about trying some DO cooking, like peach or apple cobbler. Question is what size is the best size to get? I have CI frying pans that are all like 10 or 8, etc., but I'm looking at what size quarts for cooking with a lid?

Thanks!!
    Mustang electric smoker
    King Kooker vertical gasser
    Charbroil silver smoker
    Earnhardt Jr smoker
    Brinkman smoke n' grill
    a-maze-n cold smoker rack

USMC vet 87 - 91

Most DOs, at least the "camp" style are measured by inches, just like the pans, instead of quart size. I have a 10" and it's about the right size for my family, plus some. 10s and 12s seem to be the most common size.

for reference here's how Lodge DOs measure up in quarts

8" - 2 qt - 3" depth - 11 lbs
    10" - 4 qt - 3.5 depth - 15 lbs
    12" - 6 qt - 3.75 deep - 20 lbs
    12" deep - 8 qt - 5" deep - 23 lbs
    14" - 8 qt - 3.75 deep - 26 lbs
    14" deep - 10 qt - 4.5 deep - 28 lbs
    16" - 12 qt - 3.75 deep - 32 lbs.
    Mike
    Life In Pit Row

Comment

bigger than you think you will need - you can always have extra room in the DO, but if it's too small, then you're SOL.
      Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
      Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

About how many folks you cooking for? A 10 or 12 would be what I suggest. A cobbler in a 10 should feed 8 - 10....from my experience anyway.
        Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
        Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
        1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
        Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
        Weber Smokey Joe
        Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
        Pink Thermapen
        Purple Thermapen

Comment

Originally posted by TasunkaWitko View Post
          bigger than you think you will need - you can always have extra room in the DO, but if it's too small, then you're SOL.
          It seems like I'm always at the max volume on my DO.
          https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Re:

From my own experience the 12" 6qt is a good starting point. I personally like the 10" 4qt for cobblers.

I believe the Boy Scouts use the 12" as their starting point too. Bear may know more about that.

Harbor Freight has these in 12" for like $29 dollars but look for a 20% off
            coupon. It will be more like $25 including tax.

LODGE is good stuff made in Tennessee. WalMart many have those for around $47 dollars+tax. (just look to see where it was made. Those from Harbor come from China. So if WalMart's LODGE are made in China, may as well buy one from Harbor.

A simple lifting tool like this can be made of a piece of rebar. If you have someone who can weld it only takes a spot weld and you're in business.
            Possible cost $1 dollar. Otherwise you can spend $20 on one.

If you find one of those longer handle cinnamon brooms or a little girls toy broom, they are nice for sweeping ashes off the lid so you don't get them in your food when you lift the lid to check how your food is coming along.

If you can find some Flax Seed oil, you can quickly season your iron with it. Flax Seed oil is an edible oil and does a fine job on iron.

In my 10 inch DO when I make a cobbler, I use two 15 oz (approx) cans of pie filling. Cherry, apple, peach, you name it. Dollar Tree has lots of that stuff this time of year. Then use a yellow cake box mix poured over the two cans of pie filling. (butter the inside of the DO first) Then put about five or six pats of butter over the mix and pour a 12 oz can of lemon lime soda over the top of all that. Stick it in the fire for 30 to 40 minutes
            and you should have a good first timers cobbler. You could sprinkle some
            cinnamon or nutmeg over the top and some coarse sugar with that. (but keep an eye on it as it will char. I suggest just using the butter and soda for the first one. After it comes off the fire let it rest about 4 to 8 minutes
            before serving it up. Longer if you want it cooled down. Ice Cream if ya have it. ;)
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc1URQgQWNo

Comment

>>>If you can find some Flax Seed oil, you can quickly season your iron with it. Flax Seed oil is an edible oil and does a fine job on iron.<<<

amen to that - a lot of different fats/oils will work, but flaxseed is the best i've found. reasonably priced, all things considered, near the pharmacy with the vitamins etc. at wal-mart.
              Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

I got my 30" long lid lifter off of ebay for about 20 bucks. Hand forged by someone in Michigan and he even sent me a free S hook. I love it!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hand-Forged-...item337b3863cf

Here is a good little guide on sizes, too.

8 x 8 baking pan = 8 or 10 inch dutch oven

11 x 7 baking pan = 10 inch dutch oven

9 x 13 baking pan = 12 inch dutch oven

10 x 15 baking pan = 14 inch dutch oven

Let us know what you decide, Shell! You can get a 12" D Lodge camp oven off of Amazon for $62 with free shipping and the 12" shallows are $59....made in America!
                Becky

Weber Smokey Joe
                Pink Thermapen
                Purple Thermapen

Comment

Originally posted by eDJ View Post
                  little girls toy broom, they are nice for sweeping ashes off the lid
                  Cool! I never thought of a toy broom. Great idea!!!
                  Becky

Weber Smokey Joe
                  Pink Thermapen
                  Purple Thermapen

Comment

I love my 10" DO. Had it for a lot of years and for just about every outing its more than covered whatever we make in it for 5-8 people. I have a bunch, anywhere from a little 1 cup to an 18" i've only used a few times. The 10 seems to be the one I always grab, and its so seasoned that its fun to cook in.
                    New Braunfels Black Diamond
                    18.5" WSM
                    Weber Performer Deluxe Black
                    18.5 Weber Kettle
                    22.5 Weber Kettle
                    Maverick ET732
                    6, 8, 10 and 12' Lodge DO

Smoked Meat Misfits: "the change it had to come. We knew it all along. We were liberated from the fold, that's all" - The Who.

sigpic

Comment

Looks like you're getting plenty of help on that, Shell !!!

I know little about DOs, so all I can say is have a great time, and bring us some pics back.
                      I spent a good part of my life in the Beautiful Pocono Mts, as one doesn't have to travel far from your house or mine to get there.

Bear
                      Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                      Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

I found that a 10 made it easier to burn the top of a cobbler because the lid was too close for my recipe. The 12s are great, plenty of head room. Other than that it's just how much you want to cook of whatever.

Chupa-cobbler.jpg
                        sigpicYeah...that's right...I'm smokin'.

The GOOD ONE smoker grill
                        Weber 22 1/2 Wannabe (aka WW)
                        Weber 22 1/2 Silver One Touch
                        Smokey Joe New model, Smokey Joe 1984 model
                        fire pit in the yard
                        10 & 12 Lodge DO,
                        Maverick ET73, ET732.
                        A-MAZE-N SMOKER 5x8, RED HOT Thermapen
                        MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric smoker

Rick

Comment

Thanks everyone!! I think I'll look at a 12"...I'm actually going to look at 2 of them, we have a huge group, the place we're staying at has 9 bedrooms and the 3rd floor sleeps another 28. I think we have about a total of 34 going. Just thought it would be something fun to get the kids involved into also.

One last question, with feet or without. I was leaning to without, but then thought to myself...well they put them on there for a reason...

Definitely want to do the cobblers!!
                          Mustang electric smoker
                          King Kooker vertical gasser
                          Charbroil silver smoker
                          Earnhardt Jr smoker
                          Brinkman smoke n' grill
                          a-maze-n cold smoker rack

USMC vet 87 - 91

Comment

whatever sweet magnolia says is what I'd do
                            Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

mine is WITH feet and gives more versatility outdoors ~ plus, i have no trouble with them when using it indoors, etiher - in the oven (slip the feet through the spaces in the oven rack, so the bottom rests on teh rack) or on the stovetop (adjust your stovetop temp slightly higher to compensate for the airspace between the surface and the bottom of the DO).

the only thing is that you just need to be careful on the glass top, but that's a no-brainer ~
                              Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Working...
                              X