Sockeye Saturday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sockeye Saturday

Kinda sounds like a promo for a UFC fight.
    I had a big Sockeye Salmon filet in the freezer from Costco for a while now and decided yesterday was the day to give it a try. I had to cut it to get it to fit on the tray. My previous experiments with Salmon have been somewhat less than great, so I was a bit nervous about it. But I did a lot of researching here and Robs forum (Smokingpit.com) for a fail safe method and adapted a couple of recipes. I started out by using Bears brine recipe (thanks Bear) and brining the filet for 4 hours. Since I dont have the cold smoking abilities of Bears MES, I settled on Robs method of hot smoking using a slightly modified version of his Peach Smoked Salmon With a Sweet Garlic Marinade recipe. The only variation to his marinade was I used 1/2 the amount of brown sugar and substituted a couple of tablespoons of Yoshidas teriyaki sauce which is on the sweet side too.

A couple more filets just for the Halibut. I know, over used joke. I used the same brine and marinade recipes & time for the Halibut as I did with the salmon.

Both on the sheet after brining and as much time as I could spare to form pelicle, but not really enough.

On the smoker for 2 hours of cold smoke with my home made version on the AMS with apple sawdust.

After 1 hr, 45 min mark, I fired up the Yoder to 225 with Cherry pellets and cooked for a little over 1 hr until the were flaky but still firm. Off the smoker and ready to eat.

Dinner time! Mrs. Otis made up some twice baked potaotes, deviled eggs and broccoli for a feast that had us all stuffed.

After polling our dinner guests, the Salmon was the favorite of the 2, but both were great and a big hit. They were cooked to the right consistancy, moist and tasty. But I think the flavor profile was better suited to the salmon than the Halibut. The smoke flavor was a bit light too, so the next go around, I will wont be using the foil trays to get a little more smoke flavor. Still, the crowd was pleased, I was not as self critical as usual on the results, so it was a good night.

Thanks for looking.
    Last edited by Otis857; 08-26-2012, 12:12 PM.
    Mike
    Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
    POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
    Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

Nice... Man that S Salmon is pretty. Great fish! I had some a while back...on Salmon Enchanted Evening...

Get something like jerky or cookie/cake cooling racks for pellicle formation. And place in fridge to do so... helps evap moisture and keeps the food safe.

Be sure to keep the fish joices from hitting the inside of the smoker if yer not "panning" them. Trust me...fish juice in NOT pleasant to have hanging around in your cooker..and will affect subsequent smokes!
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
      Nice... Man that S Salmon is pretty. Great fish! I had some a while back...on Salmon Enchanted Evening...

Get something like jerky or cookie/cake cooling racks for pellicle formation. And place in fridge to do so... helps evap moisture and keeps the food safe.

Be sure to keep the fish joices from hitting the inside of the smoker if yer not "panning" them. Trust me...fish juice in NOT pleasant to have hanging around in your cooker..and will affect subsequent smokes!
      Salmon Enchanted Evening, AR AR.

Thanks for the points Rich. I put the filets in the fridge for a couple of hours after they were out of the brine to form pelicle, but ran out of time b4 I had to get things going.
      Good thing to remember on the fish juices in the smoker. I foil my drip tray anyway, but I'll use a pan under it when I cook fish on the cooling racks. The racks i used here are what I saw Rob using a few years back from Jacks Old South, but they aren't non stick and are a bit of work to clean, so I jumped on the foil trays Rob used on his recipe. Just would have liked a little more smoke flavor, so the foil is out next time.
      Mike
      Proud to be I.B.E.W.

Yoder YS640

Comment

Great looking meal!!
        Where to Shop -
        www.OwensBBQ.com

Follow Tatonka Dust on Facebook -
        https://www.facebook.com/TatonkaDust

Comment

Originally posted by TATONKA3A2 View Post
          Great looking meal!!
          Thanks Tanya, I wonder how they would taste with some Tatonka Dust on em? Hint Hint
          Mike
          Proud to be I.B.E.W.

Yoder YS640

Comment

Nice looking fish! Looked like they were still nice and moist; I hate overcooked fish, but it is real easy to do.
            Mismoke

Charbroil CB940x (or equivelent-35 yrs old)
            Solaire infrared portable
            Yoder YS640
            Maverick ET 732
            A-Maze-N Tube smoker

View some of my photos at:
            https://picasaweb.google.com/111720899019925422024

Comment

sounds bloody excellent to me
              Yeah apparently halibut is a more delicate flavour.
              But have some fishy for persevarance
              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

First I saw this one!!!

Looks Great, Otis!!!

Yup---gotta sacrifice "easy cleaning" to get better smoke flavor.

My frog mats keep anything from sticking, but you still have the cleaning problem.

Nice Job!!

Bear
                Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Thanks Gang!

THe guide who took us out on the trip in Port Hardy, Canada where I got the Halibut refers to Sockeye as the Filet Mignon of Samlon. We caught one up there, but it didnt make the trip home, meeting its fate on the grill up there. The Costco filet was pretty good, but nothing compares to fresh caught Sockeye.
                  Mike
                  Proud to be I.B.E.W.

Yoder YS640

Comment

Working...
                  X