Pintos & Sausage Hoppin John

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pintos & Sausage Hoppin John

I had some smoked kielbasa, andouille to use up so I thought a nice little pot of Hoppin John was in order. Soaked the pintos over night then simmered in chicken stock for about 4 hours with some oregano, parsley, basil & Thyme.

Sauteed some japs, yellow and orange bell peppers, onion, garlic, cayenne pepper and CBP in bacon fat then added the andouille, kielbasa, and thome thrimps.

Stirred this mixture in with the pintos and stock and added about 1 cup rice and let it think for about 2 hours on low simmer.

Was a nice stick to your ribs dinner. Thick and saucy like a risotto.

Also had some extra smoked kielbasa and some asparagus and tried my hand at pickling. Stuffed a jar with the sausage, asparagus, garlic, japs, and filled it with a hot brine of cider vinegar, white vinegar, kosher salt, CBP and pickling spice.

Well see how this turns out in a couple of weeks.

Thanx for looking!

Lou
    sigpic

GOSM/propane
    UDS (Cam)/lump
    22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
    Weber Genesis/propane
    Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Now that is a good combination! Looks mighty tasty!
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Like the idea of the hoppin john (rice is obviously optional lol)
      looks great - but what are pintos ? I'm guessing some sort of chilli ?
      Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
        Beans of a brownish color. Used a lot in southwest cuisine.
        sigpic

GOSM/propane
        UDS (Cam)/lump
        22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
        Weber Genesis/propane

Comment

Mmmm...looks great Lou
          Gene

sigpic

The Farm...
          http://gardenofeatn-rhf.blogspot.com/

Comment

Pinto or mottled beans

Pinto beansThe pinto bean (Spanish: frijol pinto, literally "painted bean") is named for its mottled skin (compare pinto horse), hence it is a type of mottled bean. It is the most common bean in the United States [2] and northwestern Mexico [3], and is most often eaten whole in broth or mashed and refried. Either whole or mashed, it is a common filling for burritos. The young pods may also be used as green beans.

In the southwest United States, the pinto bean is an important symbol of regional identity, especially among Mexican Americans.[citation needed] Along with the chile/chilli, it is one of the official state vegetables of New Mexico (under the name frijol). The prepared beans are commonly known as frijoles. This type of bean is also referred to as "Cowboy Beans" in Texas, all along the Mexican border and wherever Mexican cowboys were employed. In areas where Mexican cowboys did not travel on the trails north from Texas, it was probably not known.

This is the bean most commonly used for refried beans (fresh or canned) and in many dishes at Tex-Mex restaurants. Rice and pinto beans served with cornbread or corn tortillas are often a staple meal where there is limited money for meat, as the combination of beans and corn creates all the protein amino acids needed in a meat substitute. [4] When it comes to making chili, if a bean is added, this is the one typically used, although the kidney bean, black bean, and many others may also be used in other locales (see below).

In the southeastern part of the United States, pinto beans were once a staple of the poor (usually eaten with cornbread, milk, and cabbage), especially during the winter months. Some churches in rural areas still sponsor "pinto bean suppers" for social gatherings and fund raisers.

Alubia pinta alavesaThe alubia pinta alavesa, or the "Álava pinto bean", is a red variety of the pinto bean which originated in Añana,[6] a town and municipality located in the province of Álava, in the Basque Country of northern Spain. In October, "la Feria de la alubia pinta alavesa" (the fair of the Alubia pinta alavesa) is celebrated in Pobes.[7]

Pinto bean varieties include:

Burke
            Othello
            Maverick
            Sierra

Icruzen

your beans look awesome. rib stickin I am sure.
            sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
            nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Lou, if I didnt know better you must be from Texas or Oklahoma... Great job!!
              Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

lol saves me looking in wikipedia :-)
                Have to admit I do like refried beans. Pinto beans eh ?
                Should have those on a supermarket shelf round here somewhere :-)
                Cool - they do say it's never a wasted day if you learn something.
                Also had a chat with some romanian clients today, hopefully they'll email me some romanian sausage recipes :-)
                They sounded very interesting. Horse salami sounded good. but I'll have to wait till someone sends them some over from romania, just can't get horsemeat in england :-)
                Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

lcruzen I like the looks of that jar of pickled sausage and veggies.
                  Steve

Comment

Around these parts the hill folk call them "brown beans."
                    I say "pinto beans," they say............ "Huh?"
                    Probably the favorite food in the Ozarks is "brown beans and corn bread."
                    When I lived up north, we used navy beans in our ham and bean soup, here it's pinto beans. Oops, I mean brown beans.

Oh yeah, lcruzen the "Brown Beans & Sausage Hoppin John" looks yummy.

Tom

Comment

Also had a chat with some romanian clients today, hopefully they'll email me some romanian sausage recipes :-)
                      They sounded very interesting. Horse salami sounded good. but I'll have to wait till someone sends them some over from romania, just can't get horsemeat in england :-)
                      Be a cold day in U know where before I eat horse! Ain't Happenin! Like jellied eels! Ain't Happenin!
                      Sunset Eagle Aviation
                      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
                        Lou, if I didnt know better you must be from Texas or Oklahoma... Great job!!

Just a Detroit boy that loves southwest cuisine but that is a huge complement. Thanx!

I do need to visit that area one day.
                        sigpic

GOSM/propane
                        UDS (Cam)/lump
                        22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
                        Weber Genesis/propane

Comment

WHAT KIND OF SALAMI?? Oh ney, ney, I say! EAT WHAT? no. no. no. no...

They are for riding, racing and farming not for EATING!!!

To the pintos.. OMG and I mean "pinto beans" not Pinto ponies...
                          Here is a link for ya Alex.. http://www.purcellmountainfarms.com
                          they have all kinds of beans here.

Lou,
                          Your hoppin' john looked wonderful.
                          I can't wait to see how your pickled sausage comes out, I have never heard of pickled sausage before.... never heard of people eating horse before either... guess I learned so much from this thread, I feel like I stayed at a Holiday Inn express last night...
                          Last edited by Bbqgoddess; 05-29-2009, 09:19 AM.

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Originally posted by Bbqgoddess View Post
                            WHAT KIND OF SALAMI?? Oh ney, ney, I say! EAT WHAT? no. no. no. no...

They are for riding, racing and farming not for EATING!!!

To the pintos.. OMG and I mean "pinto beans" not Pinto ponies...
                            Here is a link for ya Alex.. http://www.purcellmountainfarms.com
                            they have all kinds of beans here.

blaaaahaaahaaaa,,,I think she took points from you CA. we can learn her.
                            horse kabobs..you can ride the little stick when done eating..he-yah giddy up little stick..lol..
                            sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
                            nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Lou it looks fantastic!!! I love pintos and hoppin' john..
                              jeanie

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X