Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted: Recipe for buns for sliders

Hi y'all

I have been wanting to make some sliders for a while now, and now I finally got some MH pulled pork leftovers.

I'm hoping you could point me towards a recipe for the buns :-)

What else besides pulled pork do you put in the sliders?

Have a smokin' great day ;-)

more pulled pork :-)
    And maybe some mayonaise.

Well slider buns are just buns, rolls, cobs. So any bread recipe will do the job.

Do you have a bread machine ? Or are you a strictly making bread by hand person ?
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Thank you for replying :-)

I have bread machine. Don't mind doing it by hand though :-)
      I was thinking the bun should be light, "air'y" and...uhmm fluffy (I think thats the right word ;-).

Comment

so a basic white bread.

just use a standard bread machine white mix - but add a couple tbs honey and a couple tbs peanut butter.

That'll give you a nuttier sweeter flavour bread that should work great with the pp.

I always add a couple crushed 100mg vitamin c tablets to the water as well. This gives you a much longer lasting bread. A couple tbs of balsamic vinegar wouldn't hurt either. Helps extend the shellife adds a little colour and just give the bread a bit of personality.

I like mixing malted grain bread flour with the white as well.

But for a basic white roll:
        1 cup warm water
        1 tbs honey
        2 good tsp peanut butter (smooth)
        3 tsp sugar
        1.5 tsp salt
        3 cups white bread flour
        2 good tsp bread machine yeast.

Use the dough setting.

Turn out in a large bowl with a little flour in. And knead lightly for a couple minutes.
        Divide into 8 for large rolls, 16 for medium size and 32 for mini-rolls like I make :-)
        Place on a baking sheet or in a large baking tin and let rise in a warm place for 30-45 mins.
        Brush lightly with beaten egg and liberally sprinkle with either grated cheese (sharp cheddar works best) or sesame seeds and cook in the centre of a pre-heated oven (should really have put that bit first ) for 30-40 mins at 350-375f - medium hot.
        Tops should be brown and rolls should sound hollow when tapped. DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN FOR AT LEAST 20 MINUTES INTO THE COOK !
        Or the rolls will probably collapse - which is not a good thing.
        should look something like this (click link for complete process)

You can shape the rolls into anything you like.
        For a traditional sub - divide the dough into 8. And roll into a long sausage. Bear in mind that the proved and cooked diameter is approximately 3-4 times the size of what you roll. So don't be afraid to make them long and fairly skinny. An 1/8 of that dough should easily make an 8 inch sub roll.

And you can mix and match shapes and sizes as wel. Just bear in mind that larger rolls will take a little longer to cook than smaller ones - so seperate roll sizes onto seperate baking sheets.
        Last edited by curious aardvark; 09-05-2012, 08:26 AM.
        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

People also make "wraps" and burritos/tacos out of PP too, Lasse...very good :{)
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Thank you!!!!!

A very detailed recipe. Your tips will definitely help me make better bread in generel :-). Great idea with the vitamin c powder - I didn't know that.

I gonna try to make them later this week.

Again - thank you so much for taking the time to help me out.

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
              People also make "wraps" and burritos/tacos out of PP too, Lasse...very good :{)
              Thanks Rich, my girlfriend and I have been wanting to try something else than our usual pp, cheese and coleslaw sandwiches.

I have used the first bag of MH now, so wont be long before I'll ask you if you will ship some more to DK
              My girlfriend (who we just find out is pregnant - yay) also loves the MH, which is pretty impressive as she is quite picky. She even uses the MH on popcorn...

Comment

Gotta give it to you ardie you know your bread, and it's a true art to make good bread, props mate
                sigpic

Mary had a little lamb her father shot it dead, now it goes to school with her between two lumps of bread

Comment

Nice bread recipe and tips right there.
                  Jerod
                  GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
                  sigpic

Comment

I know my bread machines - and I did some research into why the commercial bread has such along shelf life.
                    A lot of it's down to super fast mixing techniques and added enzymes. But it all started with vinegar and vitamin c. And those you can add yourself.

Making bread by hand - can't remember the last time I did that. I know it was pain in the arse with a lot more washing up and hassle than using my robot baker :-)

I figure my bread is good for sarnies for 3 days and toast for up to a week. Leave it 2 weeks and you might see some mold. But usually not and if there's abit that old I make it into breadcrumbs.
                    Without the vit c - it tastes stale and loses texture the next day. It's like magic. And no you can't taste the orange flavour from the vitami c tablets :-) (always orange flavoured in england anyway)

I actually add lea & perrins (proper wusster sauce) to my bread. A good 2 tbs per loaf. You don't really taste it and unless I told you you'd have no idea. But that adds some extra umami and the important vinegar to my bread.

Food alchemy rules

And don't forget lasse - Take pictures

Help is what we're all here for :-)
                    As rich says - take what you want - give what you can

We will be expecting some danish recipes and foods from you at some point too :-)
                    Last edited by curious aardvark; 09-05-2012, 08:23 AM.
                    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

I had one laying around. Roll out dough, place on a sheet pan, cut to desired size with a pizza wheel and let rise. I have a tub of vitamin C powder which it says on the lid,"yeast nutrient" ...don't use it too often.

Comment

This site is an amazing bread resource
                        http://www.thefreshloaf.com/
                        Scarbelly

Comment

Originally posted by Scarbelly View Post
                          This site is an amazing bread resource
                          http://www.thefreshloaf.com/
                          Thanks. Looks great :-)

Comment

Cheese on Pulled Pork sammies?
                            I yelled at my Sister for trying that

Don't really have a recipe for sliders but you're right, they should be lighter and even if more "compacted" in size still a light bun.

Of course burgers would be good on a tiny bun, pastrami, smoked sausages, peppers and onions with provolone, chicken tenders grilled with a slice of cheese or friend with some mayo, fried chicken tenders with blue cheese (I prefer ranch) and some hot sauce, bacon, bacon and more bacon with some tomatoes and lettuce, Italian beef or roast garlic pork, a slice of leftover smoked pork loin, the possibilities are deliciously endless!

Could always try out brioche buns for a richer more buttery bun that would compliment many meats really well.

http://livingtastefully.weebly.com/2...day-party.html
                            There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fire it up View Post
                              Cheese on Pulled Pork sammies?
                              I yelled at my Sister for trying that
                              Hehe sorry about that ;-). Had a pp sandwich in Florida with cheese so I thought the cheese was approved ;-).

Thanks for all the inspiration. I appreciate it. It's cool to see your suggestions and broaden my horizon!

I have never tried cooking smoked pork loin. I actually think we have got that cut in DK so I'm gonna give it a try.

Comment

Working...
                              X