propane vs. charcoal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• propane vs. charcoal

Just wanting some info... I am getting ready for my first real build... and am now considering a gas smoker. I want to know if you get good flavor from gas... i love my charcoal, but would like ease of gas. Any help would be great...

Thanks and God bless

I LOVE my gasser and also LOVE my Chargriller but when it comes to ease, time and temp speeds I go for the gasser, especially in the Winter.
    nothing beats a good stick burner for true Q flavor but with a gasser you add some wood and a chunk of charcoal the flavor is really so close (IMO) that many times I will go for the gasser because of ease.
    Don't get me wrong, love my stick burner too and it has a LOT more room but the ease of gas is definitely something to consider.
    though you can never have too many smokers so could always get one of each and add an electric like a MES to the family
    There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

If you are actually building it yourself, try and find an old LP range, and steal the burner and thermocouple out of the oven. You'll have awesome temp control.
      Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Gas is nice... especially in cold climates... but I stick with charcoal, or I do have a gutted gasser with an electric hotplate for sausage and such.

Gassers can turn out some dang good Q... and are convienient. You could possibly build a combo unit too... small charcoal/wood firebox and gas "assist" for the heat.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Alright... Will a smoker like an iron maiden work for a gasser

Comment

Originally posted by iPreach4God View Post
            Alright... Will a smoker like an iron maiden work for a gasser
            What the Hades is an "iron Maiden"?
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Far as I know it is a torture device or a metal band that has been around for a pretty good while. On the thread title. I am of the opinion they both have their place. I like just about all forms. Electric, gas, charcoal, stick burner etc. Seems they all have a thing they do better than the others.
              Weber Smoky Joe
              18" Weber Silver
              22.5" Weber Gold
              22.5" Weber Silver
              UDS X 2
              Masterbuilt 30" MES digital
              Masterbuilt MES 40" digital
              Masterbuilt cold smoke attachment
              Char-Broil Big Easy 3 in 1
              Char-Broil COS with Ron Fischer mods.
              Dual Char-Broil BBQ Bistros
              Blackstone three burner flat top
              5" AMZNPS
              Vortex x 2
              Maverick ET 73
              Maverick ET 732
              Maverick Pro Temp instant read thermometer
              Thermo Works Smoke Dual Channel Thermometer
              Pitmaster iQue 110
              sigpic

Comment

I like playing with fire. Thats how they did it in the old days, and that whole getting back to basics "thing" is why I smoke. To me, its half the fun of making BBQ. It complicates the process, and to me its more rewarding when you pull it off. Its almost therapeutic. its got more meaning to me that way....
                New Braunfels Black Diamond
                18.5" WSM
                Weber Performer Deluxe Black
                18.5 Weber Kettle
                22.5 Weber Kettle
                Maverick ET732
                6, 8, 10 and 12' Lodge DO

Smoked Meat Misfits: "the change it had to come. We knew it all along. We were liberated from the fold, that's all" - The Who.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                  What the Hades is an "iron Maiden"?
                  BQE will tell you.
                  Mark
                  sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                  Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                    BQE will tell you.
                    Ahh yesss..he has named his that... beauty too!

Comment

I had a girlfriend once that I reffered to as the "Iron Maiden"... Feed her onion rings and beer she was a "Gasser"! Damn near killed me a few times. No more Iron Maidens for me.
                      Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
                      Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
                      SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
                      Yoder Wichita
                      Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
                      Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
                      Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

Sorry, what I mean is a reverse flow smoker... i am pretty sure that is the way i am leaning. My concerns are numerous. I would like a gasser but I love the charcoal for flavor. Also, I am just now learning about gassers and not sure the flavor will be worth it. I know there are plenty of those on here who swear by it, and i am sure it is great... but side by side... not sure if it is gonna be close.

Next, and this has nothing to do with gas or charcoal... is the fact that i currently cater small gatherings, up to 250 people and with my smoker I am cooking for 24 hours at a crack..... so i am looking to go much larger than what i have. So i am not sure if the size of a 100, 250, or 500 gal. propane tank is closer to the size I would need to make it a more doable time. now, i am not even sure if i want to make a tank into a smoker or just build the boxes custom... i know the cost would be more, but then you have true control over size, chamber shape, etc... also, i may be new to this, but so far i have not seen any insulated propane designs. That is something i am leaning towards for sure.

the next question i am facing is trailer design. I have a boat trailer and a utility trailer already... so those can be converted into what i need, but is it better to design a custom trailer from the axles I already have... how do you determine tongue balance and weight... etc...

If this gets to the point i want it to be i will do more than just catering. I have served at 2 small county fairs, and may just do this as a full time gig.... so i am not just looking for a good backyard smoker, but a true competition style rig...

Now i do have an advantage, I am a state certified welder... so i very good with MIG, TIG, ARC, and even a plasma cutter... i can braze, oxy-acetylene... so i pretty good to go on that...

but on the size, fuel, and trailer i will need a ton of help...

thanks in advance for any advice

Comment

From a pure scientific point you want wood/charcoal for BBQ as propane gives of moisture when it burns and you may not want that extra wetness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propane..._and_reactions
                          Smokin-it Model #3 (new)
                          Masterbuilt Smoker (retired)
                          Charbroil Infrared TEC grill
                          My Food and Fun blog

Comment

I love the flavor from charcoal in my WSM but love the ease of Gas in my smoke vault.Hence ,check out my build from last year.designed from BBQE's reverse flow's.

I heat it with a 22'5 inch weber for heavy meat cooks and pull the grill and replace itwith a 3 burner cooktop stove for large sausage cooks.BEST OF BOTH WORLDS

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19609 :banana_smiley
                            2-22.5'' weber
                            1-18'' weber
                            1 smokey joe
                            22.5'' wsm
                            24'' smoke vault
                            1-outhouse
                            Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                            Smoked meathead #135

Comment

I can't help you with the Gas or Charcoal "Smokers", because I am a lazy old Watt-burner, but as far as grilling, I usually use my Weber "Q" gas grill.

However when I want some really great tasting Burgers or Ribeyes, I load up a little charcoal grill.
                              Gonna do that today, on my little bitty Weber (Ribeyes)!!!

Bear
                              Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                              Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Working...
                              X