Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yoder YS-640 Auger Noise

Hi-
    I have a new Yoder YS-640 and have used it 3 times. The first two times were uneventful.
    The last time I used it, the auger that drops the pellets made a loud metal to metal screeching noise. I called Yoder and was told this is normal. I am looking for experienced opinions. I am new to smokers and don't know what is right.
    Thanks for your help.
    Rich

Welcome Rich- to Smoked-Meat!...and I have put the resident Yoder expert on notice of this post.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

from Utah
      Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
      Weber 22.5" WSM
      Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
      Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
      Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
      Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
      Weber 18.5" Kettle
      Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
      Weber Smokey Joe
      GMG Daniel Boone
      Pit Barrel Cooker
      Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
      6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
      Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
      The Vortex

Comment

Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
        Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
        1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
        Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
        Weber Smokey Joe
        Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
        Pink Thermapen
        Purple Thermapen

Comment

from Washington
          sigpic

Comment

Welcome Rich from Dayton!!

I too have a Yoder and as far as mine goes every once and a while it does sound as if it is having a hard time "cutting" through a pellet or two. I have it sounds as if it is working harder to feed the pellets.... kinda grunting.... so i am guessing that is what it is doing a pellet gets stuck and it has to "cut" through it.

I would not call this a screech though. not like a pair of car breaks that are rubbing metal to metal...if that helps or not.

I am sure a few other Yoder owners will chime in shortly but that has been my experience. Good luck and go smoke some meat!!
            Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
            Yoder YS640
            Weber Genesis
            Weber 18.5" Kettle
            Weber Performer
            Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ramburgy View Post
              Hi-
              I have a new Yoder YS-640 and have used it 3 times. The first two times were uneventful.
              The last time I used it, the auger that drops the pellets made a loud metal to metal screeching noise. I called Yoder and was told this is normal. I am looking for experienced opinions. I am new to smokers and don't know what is right.
              Thanks for your help.
              Rich
              Wekcome!

Since pellets are not of a set consistant size, sometimes longer pellets can become wedged in between the hopper feed oppening and the auger. The auger and motor are strong enough to sheer them in two. However when this occours the auger motor may sound louder and stressed or under load. Its normal to hear this from time to time during cooks. That said, if your hearing a noise that is continueous I would remove all pellets and listen to it with no pellets feeding. It should be quiet. Im not sure who you talked to at Yoder. If this loud metal on metal sound does not go away I would call Joe Phillips at Yoder. I have never heard a loud metal on metal sound from mine and have not heard of anyone complaining of it.

If you could record it on your phone and send me a sound clip I could better tell you if what your hearing is normal.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
              Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
              Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
              SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
              Yoder Wichita
              Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
              Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
              Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

New Braunfels Black Diamond
                18.5" WSM
                Weber Performer Deluxe Black
                18.5 Weber Kettle
                22.5 Weber Kettle
                Maverick ET732
                6, 8, 10 and 12' Lodge DO

Smoked Meat Misfits: "the change it had to come. We knew it all along. We were liberated from the fold, that's all" - The Who.

sigpic

Comment

Hi Rob
                  I heard the noise every time the augur turned, I could here the pellets dropping each time. I talked to Byron Funk at Yoder service and he said the noise was normal. I will try taking the pellets out soon and see if the noise is still there.
                  Thanks for the good work on your website, your video's got me started. I sent a small donation for the troops. I said small because we can never give enough.
                  Thanks to all the wellwishers also.
                  Rich

Comment

Originally posted by ramburgy View Post
                    I sent a small donation for the troops. I said small because we can never give enough.
                    Thanks to all the wellwishers also.
                    Rich
                    Excellent...

Don't be a stranger Rich...

Signed...err... Rich ;{)
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Rich, keep us posted on how things go with your issue. Also as our other "Rich" RichTee stated, stick around. This is a great forum with some very savvy folks.
                      Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
                      Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
                      SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
                      Yoder Wichita
                      Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
                      Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
                      Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

Welcome to the Forum Rich, I called Joe about this issue a couple of months back. It is the auger motor slapping down on the metal below it. If you take the side panel off and watch the motor turn you will see the motor torque up at a certain point and come down a slap the metal below it. I was told to put something padding in between the motor and the metal below it. I put some rubber with adhesive on the back of it and the noise has went away. I was told that each smoker have different tolerences. I actually thought the auger had a burr on it and was hitting the metal in the hopper as it turned and came up each time.
                        Last edited by Bill-B-Que; 09-12-2012, 05:15 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
                        KCBS Competition team Bill-B-Que-Minnesota
                        KCBS-CBJ
                        Cookshack FEC120
                        Yoder Kingman/Comp Cart
                        Weber Performer
                        Weber Smokey Mountain
                        Rocks Stoker WIFI
                        ThermoWorks Pro BBQ Kit
                        ThermoWorks Thermapen Orange

http://www.yodersmokers.com/

www.amazenproducts.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bill-...8578881?ref=hl

I have a FaceBook page for our BBQ team Bill-B-Que
                        Please like the page if you would like so you may keep up with what we are doing

Comment

Originally posted by rsp076 View Post
                          I called Joe about this issue a couple of months back. It is the auger motor slapping down on the metal below it. If you take the side panel off and watch the motor turn you will see the motor torque up at a certain point and come down a slap the metal below it. I was told to put something padding in between the motor and the metal below it. I put some rubber with adhesive on the back of it and the noise has went away. I was told that each smoker have different tolerences. I actually thought the auger had a burr on it and was hitting the metal in the hopper as it turned and came up each time.
                          Rich. I have a Yoder with about 15 cooks on it so far and havent noticed anything like that. I hope this post solves your issue. Lots of Yoder owners here and you can surely find answers to your questions. Glad to have you here.
                          Mike
                          Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
                          POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
                          Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

Comment

Richtee--

I just noticed your from the Mitten state. I was born in Detroit, lived in Canton all of my working life, and retired to Surprise AZ. Michigan is a beautiful state and I miss it.

Rich A

Comment

It IS beautiful..unless yer trying to make a living here at the moment ;{)

Comment

Working...
                              X