Canadian Bacon is Curing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Bacon is Curing

Well, I cut up the loins and trimmed some of the fat. Followed the directions on the Morton's website for dry curing. Got 5 chunks just over 2 lbs. each. Not sure on time to cure though. It says 3-5 days, but maybe you folks could give me a better idea.

S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
    CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
    New Braunfels Bandera
    UniFlame Gas Grill
    Lil Chief

Since you followed directions on cure amounts.. for loins that size- let 'em go a week. No harm and you'll be assured of a good thru and thru cure.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Last batch i did went 14 daze, turned out great.
      My food WAS a vegaterian!!
      Death Row Outfitters

Comment

Originally posted by smokebuzz View Post
        Last batch i did went 14 daze, turned out great.
        Yanno Buzz..yer right..how BIG are those? I went by the pict. By big..I mean the thickest part.
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Thanks Rich. I followed this recipe.

http://www.mortonsalt.com/recipes/Re...l.aspx?RID=117

The two shown in pic have some garlic powder and onion powder, added to them. Give Red's deal a try.

I'll leave them a week, then.
          S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

GOSM Propane
          New Braunfels Bandera
          UniFlame Gas Grill
          Lil Chief

Comment

some where i heard, 2 days per# when doing the 1 TBS/# of the TQ and suger. Not sure if that would be true, i think thickness would play more into it than weight.
            My food WAS a vegaterian!!
            Death Row Outfitters

Comment

They're kinda flattened in the pic, but about 3 inches in diameter.
              S-M Misfit #16

GOSM Propane
              New Braunfels Bandera
              UniFlame Gas Grill
              Lil Chief

Comment

Well, I let them cure for 6 days. Took one out Saturday morning. Did the fry test. Nice color, too salty.

I soaked them for about an hour. Still too salty. Soaked for another hour. Tasted good. Should have taken more pics, but had too many things going at once. This one I put some CBP on it before smoking. Will do that again. MMMM.

Smoked with mostly apple, and a little hickory. Took the smallest one to 140and pulled it. Sliced thin for pizzas and such. The rest went until 160. Sliced thicker for sammies or whatever.
                S-M Misfit #16

GOSM Propane
                New Braunfels Bandera
                UniFlame Gas Grill
                Lil Chief

Comment

Ray, anything else need to be said. Nice stuff there. bravo bravo.

Oh yes, think I got a points in my little grab bag with you name on it.

Comment

Looks good Ray. Great pink color..
                    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Thanks. It turned out great. Everyone who's tried it, is amazed that it's homemade. I'll be doing this again. I don't think it will last long.
                      S-M Misfit #16

GOSM Propane
                      New Braunfels Bandera
                      UniFlame Gas Grill
                      Lil Chief

Comment

Great looking stuff! And yanno, why should they be amazed? Home made is typically better stuff than ya can buy.... as S-M members know :{)

Comment

Great job on that bacon. YUMMY.
                          sigpic

Comment

Lookin good ray. reminds me I need to start my annual corned beef brisket soon. And am lookin forward to it.

Comment

I couldn't have done it without asking questions here. Thanks to all that answered. It will only get better as I do more. Had some on a sandwich for lunch today. MMMMMMM. What more can you ask for?
                              S-M Misfit #16

GOSM Propane
                              New Braunfels Bandera
                              UniFlame Gas Grill
                              Lil Chief

Comment

Working...
                              X