Smoked Salmon - DRY BRINING.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoked Salmon - DRY BRINING.

I have been using this recipe for over 10 years. I have made my own (slight) modifications based on fish size, outdoor temp and smoking apparatus.

This recipe will definitely get you were you want to go. #1 Hint - use quality product and take your time. #2 Hint: make sure you dry your salmon to a shiny pellicle (using a fan) which takes at least 3 hours, usually more. #3 Hint: smoke your fish @ 140F max until finishing.

Start to finish for me is easily 36 hours.

Kudos to AnglingBC and JustSmokedSalmon for the education:

Smoked Salmon Recipe
    Fish Tank
    from Victoria, BC

Smoked Salmon Recipe
    Here's my method for smoking salmon:

Begin with quality salmon fillets that have been cared for. I gut & gill my fish immediately and keep them very cold with ice. Don’t let your catch get warm. Pink salmon especially will quickly go mushy if not kept cold. There’s an old myth that for smoking, one can get away with some old lousy pieces of salmon that will be turned into gold when smoked. Not true. Your final result will be vastly superior if you start with quality fresh fillets. I prefer to begin the process with fresh, unfrozen salmon, but thawed will do – just make sure that all fillets are thoroughly thawed, usually taking a couple of days in the fridge, or longer if fillets are large.

Brine:

I honestly don’t understand why so many brine recipes include such large quantities of water – if any. The whole point of the brine is to draw out the excess water from the fillets, so why the bath? I’ve found that the dry brine mix works perfectly.

- Mix one 1kg bag of Rogers Demerara brown sugar with just less than one cup of coarse pickling salt (7/8 cup is good). It’s very easy for your final result to be too salty if more than 1 cup is used. (Obviously, double or halve the recipe for larger or smaller batches). DO NOT use table salt! (Each bag of sugar is about 7 cups).

– At this point, you can add any of the myriad of flavorings used by many, but this simple sugar & salt mixture works fine. Some common flavorings: Pepper, maple syrup, Worchester sauce, soy sauce (but only a little as it’s very salty), real crushed garlic, rum, and the list goes on.

– If you have some fillet pieces that are very large and thick from a big fish (25 lbs +), you may want to make a slice into them every 2” about ¾ way through. This helps the brine get into the depths of the meat.

– Using a plastic tub (NO METAL of any kind), place one layer of fillets on the bottom (skin side down) and cover with a generous amount of your dry brine mixture. Spread it out evenly, leaving about a ¼” thick layer of sugar/salt mix on top. Attempt to not have any un-coated flesh parts. Now simply lay down another layer of fillets, skin side down and cover again with brine mix. Keep layering until you’re done, and give the top layer a good thick finish layer of mix.

Put a lid on it and place in refrigerator for 12 hours minimum. I’ve found recipes that instruct incredibly brief brine times. It takes time for the desired amount of liquid to be drawn out of the fillets, and I find that 12 hours is a minimum amount of time for regular sized fillets, with more time required for big fat fillets, and maybe 6-8 hours for smaller pieces. If you leave them in the brine for a day or two, no harm will come to them.

After a few hours you will notice a dark brown liquid developing. This is the liquid we want to get out of the fillets, and it is mixing with the brown sugar. You can move them around every 12 hours or so. (Top ones to bottom etc).

Drying:

– When they’ve had enough time in the brine, prepare your racks by spraying with your favorite “PAM” type product, and set them down somewhere on top of appropriately sized pieces of paper towel. These ought to be placed indoors somewhere out of reach of pets and direct sunshine. Not too hot, not too cold.

– Remove fillets from brine tub and gently rinse off under cold water just enough to remove any residual sugar/salt mix. Blot excess water off with a paper towel. (Use fresh paper towels once they become wet). Place fillets on racks, skin side down.

– This step may seem unimportant, but is critical! The fillets must “dry” on the racks for 2-3 hours. This forms the “pellicle” or glaze on the surface. A little bit of air movement or circulation during this time is helpful too.

Smoking:

– At about the 2.5 hour point of the drying process, plug in your smoker to pre-heat it. (No wood chips yet, but put the pan on the element). Pre-heat for about 30 minutes. *Don’t place your smoker in direct sunshine as this will get it too hot – we’re not cooking the salmon, we’re curing it, and smokers are designed to operate at a certain temperature. In winter, try to locate the smoker out of drafty/windy areas. If it’s really cold, you may want to build a “surround” for the smoker out of some old plywood just to help the smoker get to and maintain its proper temperature. The surround can be about 2” – 6” bigger than the smoker, and about 1” taller, with the front being open so your smoker is accessible. You can then lean a piece of plywood up against the front for additional protection on those cold days.

– Fill the pan level with wood chips. (Alder is best for salmon, with the addition of Cherry and/or Apple being good too). Then get your racks of fillets and load ‘er up. Make note of the time that you have placed them in the smoker.

– With my “Big Chief” smoker, a pan of chips will generally be burned up in about 40 minutes, so once it stops smoking, empty pan and replenish with new chips. You don’t necessarily need to have the unit “smoking” for the entire duration. After 3 or 4 panfulls, the fillets can simply be left in the smoker to finish curing for the required time. But if you get your chips for free, go nuts.

– Time required in the smoker is a huge variable, some people like their pieces as dry as jerky, while others prefer a very moist result. Most are somewhere in the middle though, so you’ll have to monitor it and decide for yourself. If the element in the smoker is working properly and the correct temperature is obtained, I generally find that smaller pieces (like the tail sections from a 5-10 lb salmon) will be done in about 4 hours. While big thick slabs from a 30-40 pounder may require 12 hours or more. If you have a variety of fillet sizes, remove them from the smoker according to their size.

– When you feel that you’re done, unplug the smoker, open the cover and let it cool down for about an hour. Then remove fillets from racks and place on large plates and place in fridge for 2-3 hours. I then vacuum seal them and freeze them, marking the date with a Sharpie marker.
    Weber 22.5
    Lil Chief
    1950's Crosley Shelvadore
    Bradley Smoker
    Maverick ET732
    Nesco Dehydrator
    Thermapen "Blue Bayou"

So this will be the first time smoking salmon with the new Bradley Original BT1S1 (instead of the trusted Lil Chief).

17 lbs of King (Chinook) Salmon:
    (and a shameless plug for my new home made butcher block kitchen island)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by XLR8R; 09-27-2012, 06:05 PM.
    Weber 22.5
    Lil Chief
    Bradley Smoker
    Maverick ET732
    Nesco Dehydrator
    Thermapen "Blue Bayou"

Comment

figuring out how to post descriptions to photos.....
      Weber 22.5
      Lil Chief
      Bradley Smoker
      Maverick ET732
      Nesco Dehydrator
      Thermapen "Blue Bayou"

Comment

Originally posted by XLR8R View Post
        figuring out how to post descriptions to photos.....
        If you use a photo host like Photobucket... they show up in the post allowing that.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by XLR8R View Post
          I honestly don’t understand why so many brine recipes include such large quantities of water – if any. The whole point of the brine is to draw out the excess water from the fillets, so why the bath? I’ve found that the dry brine mix works perfectly.
          Actually no. The whole point of a brine is to flavor and add moisture. What you are doing in more a salt cure...altho it contains no curing agent. Salt meat/fish has been done forever and yes it will pull moisture out. But it's not really a brine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brining
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Thanks - I'll have to give photobucket a try.....

That BATH comment was a quote - not my words!
            Weber 22.5
            Lil Chief
            Bradley Smoker
            Maverick ET732
            Nesco Dehydrator
            Thermapen "Blue Bayou"

Comment

I gotta give you points for this. I have done it this way for years. ( I grew up in southeast Alaska) Ketchikan Ak
              I never new there was a different way then this. I was always told to keep it simple.
              Thank you for posting.
              Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, Rage against the dying of the light.

www.wedlinydomowe.com/

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage...ure-calculator

ExhaustedSpark
              Disabled
              Member American Legion
              Life Member NRA
              Life Member ARRL

Comment

Great thread

I'm a dry briner also & pretty much follow your method, but just Kosher, regular & brown sugar. Might have to try some of the other stuff some time. I am also a big believer in the fan for drying them before smoking.

Rock On!!!
                sigpic

Comment

Dry briner here too. Salt, sugar and minced garlic. Easy and simple.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
                  Mike
                  Life In Pit Row

Comment

Thanks for the comments everyone. Much appreciated.

So here we are at 2 hours and at 6 hours. Lots of liquid here. I can see these in the brine for 36 hours (24 is fine) to get the texture I need. Normally I use a smaller container but these chunks are at least 50 percent larger than I usually smoke, so I'll have to adjust. (I'll just rotate them in the brine until then.) My wife will thank me for not messing up the fridge with overflowing salmon sludge. Make sure you have at least 2-3 inches of air/space on top of your mixture to avoid a mess.
                    Attached Files
                    Weber 22.5
                    Lil Chief
                    Bradley Smoker
                    Maverick ET732
                    Nesco Dehydrator
                    Thermapen "Blue Bayou"

Comment

18 hours: Realized my container was WAY too big and the sauce was not covering the project as intended. Normally a typical fish for me would be 2 layers high and I wouldn't have this problem. This fish is 3 layers high. Good excuse to transfer to another smaller container, and while I am at it I'll rotate the bits, top to bottom.

FYI: The fish almost feels ready to rinse and dry now - but I must have patience.....

I'll rotate again in another 6 hours then probably quick rinse, towel dry, and then really dry (with a rotating fan) about 10-12 hours from now. Smoke on first thing tomorrow. Outdoor temp is 11c (54F) forcasted to 19C (70F)......15% cooler tomorrow - sounds better.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by XLR8R; 09-28-2012, 11:59 AM.
                      Weber 22.5
                      Lil Chief
                      Bradley Smoker
                      Maverick ET732
                      Nesco Dehydrator
                      Thermapen "Blue Bayou"

Comment

Have you tried the "pressure" method? Place a food safe surface...cutting board, whatever, and weight it down?

Comment

None of the fish is floating (not since it was caught anyway). I'll probably just move it to an even smaller container, First time I've come across this dilemma.
                          Weber 22.5
                          Lil Chief
                          Bradley Smoker
                          Maverick ET732
                          Nesco Dehydrator
                          Thermapen "Blue Bayou"

Comment

I found a smaller, deeper container but I want my fish pieces to be flat, and not "curled" on the ends. I guess I'll just keep rotating....
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by XLR8R; 09-29-2012, 01:32 AM.
                            Weber 22.5
                            Lil Chief
                            Bradley Smoker
                            Maverick ET732
                            Nesco Dehydrator
                            Thermapen "Blue Bayou"

Comment

Well, 6 hours later, rotating again but the wait is killing me. Just took out some "Indian Candy" I made a few weeks ago to get the monkey's off my back.
                              Weber 22.5
                              Lil Chief
                              Bradley Smoker
                              Maverick ET732
                              Nesco Dehydrator
                              Thermapen "Blue Bayou"

Comment

Working...
                              X