Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why a pellet smoker instead of a gas Weber?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why a pellet smoker instead of a gas Weber?

-
    Last edited by burgy; 09-23-2012, 09:03 PM.

No expert on the pellet smokers, butt seems like a lot of guys are also using a Amaz-N-Smoker (sp?) pellet smoke generator along with the regular pellet smoke. Member here Todd Johnson makes them & they have excellent reviews. Maybe something to think about

I'm kinda partial to the Weber kettles/WSM with real wood chunks, butt that's just me
    sigpic

Comment

I like to have lotsa tools for lotsa different adventures.

Pellet smokers, stick burners, charcoal kettles etc.....

Each have a place and a learning curve.

To get max smoke flavor from a pellet burner will take different times, temps, and techniques.

For example. I usually do a 2 stage smoke on the pellet burner.

Lower temps increase the smoke output.
      "Because without beer, things do not seem to go as well"

Comment

Originally posted by Hippy View Post
        For example. I usually do a 2 stage smoke on the pellet burner. Lower temps increase the smoke output.
        Good points Monte See a few doing that as well
        sigpic

Comment

most pellet smokers are light smokers even though they smoke all the time all low temps. start off on a low temp for 2 or 3 hours or so and then set temp to 250 for the ride (the rest of the cook. any temp you want).
          26.75 OTG
          18.5 WSM
          Pit Barrel Cooker

Comment

A weber gas is an awesome grill. Key word being grill. A pellet smoker is a great smoker. Key word here is smoker. You can't really replace one with the other. You can grill steaks on a yoder with the right options . You can smoke on a weber gas with the right technique. Thing is you can grill more steaks at once with the weber as you can use the entire grilling surface. With the yoder you are limited to a portion if the cooking surface. On the other hand you can put a ton of meat on a yoder and smoke it at a precise temp for as long as you want. I would not try anything other than a short high temp smoke on a gas grill. Like chicken or a pork loin for slicing. Gas grills are not designed to seal as well as a smoker. They usually have holes for a rotisserie and lids that fit loosely. Not too big of a deal if you doing chicken at 300 with some smoked wood chips wrapped in foil laying on one of the deflector bars on low.

What you will find out as you get more into this is that each style of smoker has its strong suits and a grill is best for grilling. That is why if you look at member signatures you will see a few smokers and a grill in a lot of them.
            Weber Smoky Joe
            18" Weber Silver
            22.5" Weber Gold
            22.5" Weber Silver
            UDS X 2
            Masterbuilt 30" MES digital
            Masterbuilt MES 40" digital
            Masterbuilt cold smoke attachment
            Char-Broil Big Easy 3 in 1
            Char-Broil COS with Ron Fischer mods.
            Dual Char-Broil BBQ Bistros
            Blackstone three burner flat top
            5" AMZNPS
            Vortex x 2
            Maverick ET 73
            Maverick ET 732
            Maverick Pro Temp instant read thermometer
            Thermo Works Smoke Dual Channel Thermometer
            Pitmaster iQue 110
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post

I'm kinda partial to the Weber kettles/WSM with real wood chunks, butt that's just me
              Right on.

Ill take it a step further, i dont have any use for a gas grill or cooker. I also have zero use for any cooker you need to plug in. Most bbq gagets as well.

Its all good.
              Just because you welded some shit together doesnt make it a WSM.

Twitter: @GrubSeeker

Comment

Originally posted by tenacious bee View Post
                A weber gas is an awesome grill. Key word being grill. A pellet smoker is a great smoker. Key word here is smoker. You can't really replace one with the other. You can grill steaks on a yoder with the right options . You can smoke on a weber gas with the right technique. Thing is you can grill more steaks at once with the weber as you can use the entire grilling surface. With the yoder you are limited to a portion if the cooking surface. On the other hand you can put a ton of meat on a yoder and smoke it at a precise temp for as long as you want. I would not try anything other than a short high temp smoke on a gas grill. Like chicken or a pork loin for slicing. Gas grills are not designed to seal as well as a smoker. They usually have holes for a rotisserie and lids that fit loosely. Not too big of a deal if you doing chicken at 300 with some smoked wood chips wrapped in foil laying on one of the deflector bars on low.

What you will find out as you get more into this is that each style of smoker has its strong suits and a grill is best for grilling. That is why if you look at member signatures you will see a few smokers and a grill in a lot of them.
                Right on point!!
                Mark
                sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Working...
                X