Drink of the week...The Manhattan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drink of the week...The Manhattan

I made some maraschino cherries back in July. They've been marinating in my fridge for a couple of months. I wonder how long they can last? They're pretty pickled at this point.

Summer has ended, and it's cool enough for my favorite drink, the Manhattan. This is Carpano Antica red vermouth, but I like Carpano's Punt e Mes even more. I like the dryness of a rye Manhattan, but you can make them out of bourbon as well. Make it with scotch and you've got a Rob Roy. I haven't tried it with dry vermouth, or a "perfect" Manhattan with 1/2 sweet and 1/2 dry vermouth.

Chill the glass. Two parts rye, one part sweet vermouth and a couple of shakes of bitters. Some recipes call for a higher ratio of rye to vermouth. Stir with ice and strain. Add a cherry or two.

Photograph.

Consume.

Oh boy, love the Manhattan, with Bourbon however, and when I'm not enjoying it neat.
    my vermouth of choice is Tribuno sweet.
    Those Cherries look awesome, how were they? Need I ask

Comment

The cherries are very good, but they taste a lot like the maraschino cherry liqueur that I marinated them with. The liqueur in the jar is a deep red, and I could probably use it instead of the original liqueur in recipes that call for it. I made them with some Bings that I had on hand. I never did find the proper sour cherries. A stronger tasting cherry would probably make a better maraschino cherry.

Comment

Oh Yes. One of my FAVORITES. I been laying back on the consumption, but I think this might be something worth having a couple of. I even have such cherries... Mmm the bitters... great old-time drink right here folks.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

For my taste I like it with Makers Mark, however I absolutely hate bitters in mine...ewww!!!

Comment

I can never find the Jim Beam Rye, I think it makes a fine Manhattan, and in the 1.75l, it's a great deal too.

Bitters for Rich, and to Make you Smile, I'll happily not add any to yours. Speaking of bitters.

Comment

Working...
            X