What cut of elk meat to smoke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What cut of elk meat to smoke?

Hello can you guys please give me advice on what cut from a big bull would be good for smoking. I have been smoking ribs brisket butts pretty much every meat available at a butcher shop. I have never done wild game, my brother stuck a big bull and I have first choice on the cut of meat I want to smoke. Can you please give me advice on times temps and what cuts will turn out good.
    Thanks for any advice.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348793550.587268.jpg

Welcome to Smoked-Meat.. Sweet looking bull.. I would grab me a few nice roasts.. You can look in the wildgame forum where you posted this and search for Elk in the title and find some really nice ways to smoke up Elk..
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Just make sure you don't over cook it. We like our elk roasts at about 140° - 145°.
      sigpic
      Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Thank you Texas hunter, will do. My brother thinks the meat is to lean but I knew you guys here could help.
        Thanks

Comment

So 140 internal temp?? So won't be a very long smoke? Wow I thought it would be. Thanks

Comment

I think this one only went to 135° but still was only a couple of hours in the smoker.

sigpic
            Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Thanks Bassman that piece looks tasty.

Comment

Like I said be sure to read and wait for a few folks to respond that have smoked this cut... I would hate for you to waist a great cut of meat..
                Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

I absolutely love Elk, butt don't hunt. Roasts n steaks are awesome, you are a lucky guy. Let us know what you get and Welcome to Smoked-Meat.
                  sigpic

Comment

Well... I guess I'd grab the loins

Give them a fast hot sear over coals...couple strips of bacon wrap and smoke at maybe 225 until internal of 135-140 for med- rare. Don't cross 150... remember to rest the meat, and it gonna gain 5 degrees or so once pulled.
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Thanks guys for all the responses!

Comment

I'd pull @130F. Tent, Rest and Rise.
                        Weber 22.5
                        Lil Chief
                        1950's Crosley Shelvadore
                        Bradley Smoker
                        Maverick ET732
                        Nesco Dehydrator
                        Thermapen "Blue Bayou"

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                          Well... I guess I'd grab the loins

Give them a fast hot sear over coals...couple strips of bacon wrap and smoke at maybe 225 until internal of 135-140 for med- rare. Don't cross 150... remember to rest the meat, and it gonna gain 5 degrees or so once pulled.
                          What Rich said!!! If he's giving you the wide open, first shot at any piece of this critter, I would strip out the loins and the back straps. Then, there are several choicer cut from both the front or back shoulders that you can get at if you guys are the ones boning and packaging.

Front shoulder - I like the one that you can peal right off the top of the shoulder blade.

Hind quarter - you've got the eye of the round, or the top round that are great, clean pieces for cross grain slicing like da'Bassman did.

I think Erain or Minbill posted a great deboning post last year if you need help with that.

Can't wait to see what get and what you do with it!

Comment

Bassman & Walle would be my first checks on this, then a few others.
                            Just click on their names---Then "View public profile"----Then "Statistics"----Then "Find all threads started by".
                            Then scan their lists for their various "Elk" posts.

Congrats to your brother!!!
                            And if by "stuck" you mean he shot that beast with a bow----Double Congrats to him!!!

Bear
                            Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                            Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
                              Just make sure you don't over cook it. We like our elk roasts at about 140° - 145°.
                              yup, tops! aint seen anything Bassman has posted that dont look good... like mentiooned check Walle's posts as well.

Originally posted by gixx1070 View Post
                              So 140 internal temp?? So won't be a very long smoke? Wow I thought it would be. Thanks
                              generally not. if i had a choice of cut i would definatly take the backstrap and if possible get the halves towards the rear, generally would steak em out and grill hot and fast though, not saying you couldnt put some wood on the coals. there is also the rib section, same as rib roast in beef. rump roast and top round are the best roast choices. can actually cut the top round cross grain into steaks too.
                              Charbroil SFB
                              GOSM
                              MES
                              Dutch Ovens and other CI
                              Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                              Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X