Need some heat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some heat

I NEED to know how I can make a large, hot jalapenos. I've been growing them for a few years in the ground and decided to put them in pots this year. Got alot this year but they were small and bland. I understand our growing season up here is short for peppers but I had peppers turning red a couple months ago. Tried habs this year as well, just got peppers to form a couple weeks ago. Tried one yesterday before it froze and it was bland as well. Although it was still green I figured it would have something to it. What's my problem?
    I'm buying started store plants by the way.
    MES SS
    Weber Kettle Gold 22.5"
    Weber Genesis
    Green Mountain Daniel Boone

Could very well have been the fact that you didn't know exactly what you were buying cause when they start them in the store you have no way of knowing what seed stock they came from in the previous year, what the pepper plant they saved the seeds from was grown next to and if it was something like a bell pepper then the plant would be weaker in heat.
    I've grown no heat jalapenos for the past several years and they literally are just that, all the flavor with none of the heat.
    For your peppers you should always feed them calcium because they use a lot of it up.
    Also temps and conditions make a difference in how big the plant grows and performs as well as watering.
    You should try to give them minimum 6 hours of sun a day but 10-12 is best, Only water them once a week if possible, twice a week if it's really hot.
    Don't let the plant get overloaded with flowers because it won't have enough energy to grow dozens of peppers to maturity all ripening at the same time if it is also putting energy into new fruits.
    Also don't let the plant flower and set fruit until it is well established and 1-2' tall depending on the variety.
    As far as the heat goes I would guess it was the particular strain they sold you, next year you might consider starting your own from seed, that way you will know exactly what you are getting and where they started their new lives at.
    There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

I did a little research about this and I'm hearing about stressing them. Problem with that, is during our 90 degree weather this summer, I couldn't go 2 days without the leaves starting to wilt.
      I thought maybe I could keep some seeds from what I grew to plant next year but I imagine they would be too mild as well. Am I better off buying seeds as opposed to plants?
      MES SS
      Weber Kettle Gold 22.5"
      Weber Genesis

Comment

I find that you can buy plants but you want to get them from a reputable plant provider... dont pick them up at the grocery store...or your big box stores... yes you will pay a bit more but you will have a quality plant that produces the way that it is supposed to produce. I have found this to be very very true.

I also find peppers do well in full full sun 10+ hours and early water in the season and then very little water as the season goes on... just look at this year... I have had more peppers this year than in any other year and it has been very very dry and the plants produced a huge amount of fruit!

Good luck!!
        Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
        Yoder YS640
        Weber Genesis
        Weber 18.5" Kettle
        Weber Performer
        Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Personally I always grow from seed because I prefer that to buying started plants and you can choose from hundreds of different varieties out of a good seed catalog AND they use a lot of miracle grow and stuff like that when you buy them at the store so they look pretty.
          Also if you don't want to buy your own check on Craigslist sometime come Spring and I'm sure there are several people out there selling them.
          I start a ton of plants every year and what I don't give to friends, family or put in the garden I stick on Craigslist and have sold to home growers as well as a program that teaches children the wonders of caring for your own vegetables.

Some seed companies you can even buy plants from them that they start and ship to you at the proper planting time.

sigpic

Comment

Couple of my plants are looking pretty good now but the weathers all over the place, hot and cold so they are not loving it
            sigpic

Mary had a little lamb her father shot it dead, now it goes to school with her between two lumps of bread

Comment

So what do I do when the leaves wilt? I bought half of my plants from a big box store and the rest from a local store but neither one provided anything I wanted. In my family, I am famous for my abt's but only because I end up buying them from the grocery stores since my yield is so pathetic. Heck, my salsa was weak enough to buy more from the store.
              I am willing to start seeds, any recommendations?
              MES SS
              Weber Kettle Gold 22.5"
              Weber Genesis

Comment

Grow ya some Biker Billy Huffnagel Jalapeños from seed. Never had one that didn't sizzle.

Comment

Originally posted by MichChef View Post
                  Grow ya some Biker Billy Huffnagel Jalapeños from seed. Never had one that didn't sizzle.

Biker Billy came can cooked at our local little town mall years ago but unfortunately I didn't go see him.

Far as what seeds there are so many great varieties and overall they aren't a lot different from store bought if you buy the same strain and there are a lot of common strains sold as seeds and in stores (especially a garden center that carries several kinds) but then from seed they have jumbo, early, different disease resistant and even the no heat.
                  Burpee is always top notch but I highly recommend Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds for some of the best quality and strange varieties of seeds you can imagine.
                  Even their catalog they ship out if really nice with pictures inside of the family that runs the farm and collects the seeds working in the garden and enjoying the fruits of their labor (boy does that sound cliche ) but it's true, great company.

http://rareseeds.com/

For starting from seed I can give you any help you want with that, some people don't go as specific and overboard like I do with grow lights that mimic the sun and specific mixes of dirt but no matter what method you use the end result is more than worth it I think.
                  If you do decide to start from seed send me a PM when you're ready to start things up, or even better just start a thread about it so everyone who has any experience can chime in as well.
                  Garden is still going for Fall harvest and now you've already got me wanting to start my tomatoes and peppers for next year

Far as leaves wilting it could be because of so many different reasons from too much or too little water, nutrient deficiencies (though there are usually leaf damage signs to indicate that) bug damage if something is sucking out the liquid from the plant.
                  If it wasn't for weeds, bugs, diseases and all the work that goes into it gardening would be great!

I do love it but damn it's a lot of work at times, worth it but still...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mossy View Post
                    I did a little research about this and I'm hearing about stressing them. Problem with that, is during our 90 degree weather this summer, I couldn't go 2 days without the leaves starting to wilt.
                    Originally posted by Mossy View Post
                    So what do I do when the leaves wilt?
                    crap, stop babying them.............shit mine wilt all damn summer! they are lucky to see 90 deg and that's only for an hr at 2a.m., for me it's IF i can keep mine alive till now i will have them around nov.

also FIU is right on about the seeds.......try NM state univ., i think they have a seed program i think.
                    sigpic
                    it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Too bad you didnt post this a few days earlier. Since your plants were in pots, you could have brought a few in the house and overwintered them in a sunny window, and got a good head start with them in the spring. Ihad a "bonsai" habenero for about 3 years that I kept in a hanging planter in my kitchen window. It would kick out marble size peppers in the winter that were just the right size and heat. Id put it back outside in the spring and it would flower and produce full size fruit. In the fall I trimmed it back some.and brought it back inside. It finally died last spring when I forgot to bring it in on a frosty night.
                      Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Originally posted by Fire it up View Post

Biker Billy came can cooked at our local little town mall years ago but unfortunately I didn't go see him.

Far as what seeds there are so many great varieties and overall they aren't a lot different from store bought if you buy the same strain and there are a lot of common strains sold as seeds and in stores (especially a garden center that carries several kinds) but then from seed they have jumbo, early, different disease resistant and even the no heat.
                        Burpee is always top notch but I highly recommend Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds for some of the best quality and strange varieties of seeds you can imagine.
                        Even their catalog they ship out if really nice with pictures inside of the family that runs the farm and collects the seeds working in the garden and enjoying the fruits of their labor (boy does that sound cliche ) but it's true, great company.

http://rareseeds.com/

For starting from seed I can give you any help you want with that, some people don't go as specific and overboard like I do with grow lights that mimic the sun and specific mixes of dirt but no matter what method you use the end result is more than worth it I think.
                        If you do decide to start from seed send me a PM when you're ready to start things up, or even better just start a thread about it so everyone who has any experience can chime in as well.
                        Garden is still going for Fall harvest and now you've already got me wanting to start my tomatoes and peppers for next year

Far as leaves wilting it could be because of so many different reasons from too much or too little water, nutrient deficiencies (though there are usually leaf damage signs to indicate that) bug damage if something is sucking out the liquid from the plant.
                        If it wasn't for weeds, bugs, diseases and all the work that goes into it gardening would be great!

I do love it but damn it's a lot of work at times, worth it but still...
                        I am sure I will pm you and pick your brain. I checked out that website and their grande japs were reviewed as mild. There are plenty of other hot peppers on there that I will probably be ordering though.
                        MES SS
                        Weber Kettle Gold 22.5"
                        Weber Genesis

Comment

http://www.pepperjoe.com/ First year trying Scotch Bonnets.Did good,I panicked and pulled at the first threat of frost and it didn't freeze.Then had 3 weeks of good weather.Everything I started did good the growing Season is what the short fall was.I'll use him again.And he gives free seeds with every order.
                          sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

Originally posted by Critterhunter View Post
                            http://www.pepperjoe.com/ First year trying Scotch Bonnets.Did good,I panicked and pulled at the first threat of frost and it didn't freeze.Then had 3 weeks of good weather.Everything I started did good the growing Season is what the short fall was.I'll use him again.And he gives free seeds with every order.
                            Awesome. Had $30+ on seeds but it diidn't go through. Guess I'll give them a call on a weekday. Thanks for the site, looks to be what I'm looking for.

went back through and it ordered fine this time? Anyway, looking forward to the new seeds. We will hopefully be moving next summer, around 15 miles away in a co-op fruit and vegetable community that has been around for years. Good ground and good sun but I still plan on pots for my peppers next year.
                            Last edited by Mossy; 10-07-2012, 01:21 AM.
                            MES SS
                            Weber Kettle Gold 22.5"
                            Weber Genesis

Comment

I guess I kinda cheat. I buy (bought) from a Mexican market, tasted them when I get home and keep the seeds from the hottest ones. Dry them out, then plant them. I have four plants I've had for four years now.
                              Mossy, the leaves on mine wilt every afternoon but come back as the heat dies down. I think it's how they regulate their temp.

I also saved some seeds from my Hatch Chilies this year. Gonna try some this fall.
                              Mark
                              sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                              Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Working...
                              X