Flounder 101 (fresh)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flounder 101 (fresh)

Mr. Flounder meet the Folks, Folks meet Mr. Flounder. Mr. Flounder was just released from a watery "prison" near Ft. Desoto. Exactly, caught right off the tip of...naaaa!

I'm using a flexible, thin filet knife. Here I have scored him down the back bone following the lateral line. Then around the "head" being careful to miss the gut cavity. I make these cuts after making a small incision at the top of the lateral line, then carefully slide the knife blade up through the skin (from below) as I am leaving the skin on (ie; not scaled).

Then carefully slide the knife tip along the back bones out to the top or bottom and remove. If I was gonna skin it I would leave the filets attached to the tail, but I'm gonna grill these so the skin stays on.

Flip the fish and repeat. Flounder is weird, ya gotta clean the top and the bottom...well I guess ya don't have to butt....

The results of the cleaning, lookin yummy!

Seasoned with GBP, Sea Salt, and GPMH over drizzled grape seed oil.

Gotta have side sooo, slice up a tater.

Make a foil pan and season with GBP, Sea Salt, and GPMH over drizzled EVOO.

Anputitonnagrille!!! Taters first for about 20 minutes @300° with apple chips.

Putdafishawn! Actually it's almost finished, about 7 minutes.

Plate it up and hope to get a pic before it disappears! Well...It's just me eatin so....

Thanks fer LuuKin!
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

First off, nice technique on the fillet... dat's zackery how I do it too! Great looking meal man... I'd hit that heavy!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Outstanding Mark! I love me some fish and grits, flounder and grouper are my fave with grits.

Have some sexy flounder

Comment

Yum yum looks great.
        I grew up spearing flounder from about 8 years old, I almost always cooked them on the bone because they are a simple fish to lift the cooked fillets away from the bone and a lot less waste, we get verry bus sole in nZ and thir fillets are excilent
        sigpic

Mary had a little lamb her father shot it dead, now it goes to school with her between two lumps of bread

Comment

Some nifty knifework Mark... nicely executed. How was the meal? Sure looks great!
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Nicely done, Mark. I have a guy that I work with that likes to fish with his son & they don't eat fish so he brings me his catches. What a system!! He brought 4 nice flounder last week.
            MES 30"
            A-Maze-N pellet smoker
            Weber 22" kettle
            E-Z-Que rotisserie
            Weber Smokey Joe
            Big Weber Gasser
            Cracker Smoker
            UDS

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
              First off, nice technique on the fillet... dat's zackery how I do it too! Great looking meal man... I'd hit that heavy!!
              Thanks Hawg!!

Originally posted by Squirrel View Post
              Outstanding Mark! I love me some fish and grits, flounder and grouper are my fave with grits.

Have some sexy flounder
              She is kinda sexy onna plate isn't she, thanks Cheryl!! Ummm, haven't have CHEESE grits for a while, Hmmmmmm.

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
              Some nifty knifework Mark... nicely executed. How was the meal? Sure looks great!
              Tummy smilin! You'll notice not all the fish-n-chips made it to the plate...GuuD lunch too!

Originally posted by dales133 View Post
              Yum yum looks great.
              I grew up spearing flounder from about 8 years old, I almost always cooked them on the bone because they are a simple fish to lift the cooked fillets away from the bone and a lot less waste, we get verry bus sole in nZ and thir fillets are excilent
              Yea if'n I was bakin um I'd leave um whole, but not onna grill.
              Mark
              sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?

Comment

looks well tasty

Nothing quite like simply prepared fresh fish
                Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Nice Job Mark!!!!------------ (Later)

Flounder is one of my favorite salt water fish!!!!

My Son hasn't brought me any lately---gotta get on that kid!!!

Bear
                  Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                  Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Nifty post Mark, never had flounder but i have heard it is very excellent eating... also nice job on showing us something a lil bit different. for something not seen before!!!

by the way, looking at the finished picture of the fish i can imagine it by how it looks, not real flaky as then it has a tendency to be dry but just at that right point where it does flake but maintains the translucence and great moisture as well as taste.
                    Charbroil SFB
                    GOSM
                    MES
                    Dutch Ovens and other CI
                    Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                    Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Being a Michigander I've never had flounder either, but it sure looks good

Comment

Mark, that looks so good I'm going to flounder around here and see if I can find you some .
                        sigpic
                        Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Originally posted by L20A View Post
                          Nicely done, Mark. I have a guy that I work with that likes to fish with his son & they don't eat fish so he brings me his catches. What a system!! He brought 4 nice flounder last week.
                          Nice arrangement, sweet...except you miss the time on the water. That is usually more important than the fish!!

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                          looks well tasty

Nothing quite like simply prepared fresh fish
                          Thanks CA, ya keep it simple stu......

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                          Nice Job Mark!!!!------------ (Later)

Flounder is one of my favorite salt water fish!!!!

My Son hasn't brought me any lately---gotta get on that kid!!!

Bear
                          Thanks Bear, now crack the whip on that boy!

Originally posted by erain View Post
                          Nifty post Mark, never had flounder but i have heard it is very excellent eating... also nice job on showing us something a lil bit different. for something not seen before!!!

by the way, looking at the finished picture of the fish i can imagine it by how it looks, not real flaky as then it has a tendency to be dry but just at that right point where it does flake but maintains the translucence and great moisture as well as taste.
                          Thanks E, yea it cooks great when it's fresh from the water and NOT overcooked. If anything with fresh fish you wanna undercook it as it will contunue to cook after it comes off the grille. As soon as it (flounder) is frozen it dries out a bit.

Originally posted by skunk View Post
                          Being a Michigander I've never had flounder either, but it sure looks good
                          Thanks shunk!

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
                          Mark, that looks so good I'm going to flounder around here and see if I can find you some .
                          Thanks Bass, you are a good flounderer!
                          Mark
                          sigpic

Comment

In case anyone is curious about Ft. Desoto Park.
                            http://www.pinellascounty.org/park/05_ft_desoto.htm

Great place!
                            Mark
                            sigpic

Comment

Zachary how we filet dem too! Love
                              Flounder! Especially stuffed with crab!
                              Mustang electric smoker
                              King Kooker vertical gasser
                              Charbroil silver smoker
                              Earnhardt Jr smoker
                              Brinkman smoke n' grill
                              a-maze-n cold smoker rack

USMC vet 87 - 91

Comment