Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Days Gone By & A Nice Surprise On The Front Porch.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Days Gone By & A Nice Surprise On The Front Porch.....

My FIL (Awesome Guy ) decided to leave aboot 6 pounds of vacuum packed smoked salmon on me front porch this afternoon. He got them from the Chehalis River from some of the local guys he knows & grew up with. He's a strictly dry brine with rock salt or kosher guy for aboot 1.5-2 hours & uses only vine Maple for smoke, with a propane assist heater inside. He has a 4' x 4' wide x 8' high wood smokeshack that was rebuilt aboot 10 years ago due to some issues with a SS smoke & jumping embers He really does a nice job & has been at it since he was a kid. The same way his father & relatives did it.

Some of their parties in the fall a few years back would features dozens of oysters, razor clams, shrimp, smoked salmon, summer sausage, elk & deer steaks, side dishes, etc. along with the liquid refreshments both legal & illegal ..... Usually accompanied with 50's through 80's country music with a big emphasis on George Jones, Elvis & Hank SR. & JR. etc......... A real small town get together party with friends & family, that I am thankful that I got to experience several times through the years...... Those bigger parties seem to be fewer & fewer as that core group gets older, though still live on in my memories..... Some of us younger folks in our late 30's to early 50's keep the family together with a lot of get togethers with some fine food of our own, but mostly indoors, or outside around a nice big swimming pool with a cabana with a 10 seat bar & built in grill...... There is just something about being alongside a river on a gravel bar on a fall night, in the moonlight, with a big bonfire going & lots of food & drink (some legal) & some good old tunes coming out of a jacked up F-350. ...... Anybody else have memories like this?
    sigpic

Corn roasts my parents had...late August. 20 dozen ears, burgers/dogs, pond in the back 10, sneakin' beers from the keg, Skinny dipping at midnight. Gone, but not forgotten.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
      Corn roasts my parents had...late August. 20 dozen ears, burgers/dogs, pond in the back 10, sneakin' beers from the keg, Skinny dipping at midnight. Gone, but not forgotten.
      Ahhhh.... Somebody gets it.... We need to keep sh!t like that alive for our kids IMO.... ILYM! :)
      sigpic

Comment

Yup, I can remember the big get togethers out at the Grand Parents ranch. Big fire lots to eat and drink, guitar and accordion going folks singing and getting faded, Dirt bike and horse riding. Tons of folk and everyone got along, man I miss those days. Now a days we vacation out in the White Mtns up between Sho Low and Greer at Hawley lake and rent a cabin that sleeps 20 +. Been doing this for about 27 years, cool weather fishing and just relaxing. In my eyes this is the kind of stuff that molds us into the person we become, I wish folks would slow down and get back to basics and spend more time with family and friends...
        God, Family and Friends is what it's all about. Great food just brings them all together... First John1:9...
        Weber Performer Gold
        Masterbuilt 26" twins
        Big Chief Electric smoker
        Brinkmann barrel smoker
        LEM sausage stuffer
        Cabela's pro HD grinder
        Maverick ET-732
        ThermoWorks Thermapen
        GrillGrates

Comment

There is just something about being alongside a river on a gravel bar on a fall night, in the moonlight, with a big bonfire going & lots of food & drink (some legal) & some good old tunes coming out of a jacked up F-350. ...... Anybody else have memories like
          we used to go camping when I ws kid in a little valley on the german/luxembourg border.
          Pretty basic. the showers were part shower block part cowshed :-)
          Looks like it been modernised slightly (it was over 30 years ago) - but the valley looks the same.

The border itself was the river and we camped about 10 feet from it. We used to have big camp fires at night, different nationalites sitting round cooking and drinking and eating: german, dutch, english, cooking perch fresh from the river. My dachshund susie - would guard any fish we caught. Nobody risked touching the fish lol
          Half the time you'd be wading in the river with your fishing rod and you'd turn round to find a little dachshund treading water behind you waiting for a fish.

Fabulous memories :-)
          Attached Files
          Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Dausschaund.... The other German dog :p lol. Will never be an Alsatian but got the spirit of a jack russel
            sigpic

Mary had a little lamb her father shot it dead, now it goes to school with her between two lumps of bread

Comment

In my 20's 30's me and some mates built a camp in the bush, every year we'd drag some more shit up there to make it sleep more more comfortably. When I was there last it had 2 double garages attached to a garden shed that was the kitchen, big timber fish smokehouse and brick BBQ/ grill, had many a a year up there eating bay scallops, fresb marlin and tuna steaks grilled and smoked kingfish and snapper
              Started out barebones camping but ended up a thrower together palace
              sigpic

Mary had a little lamb her father shot it dead, now it goes to school with her between two lumps of bread

Comment

Originally posted by dales133 View Post
                Dausschaund.... The other German dog :p lol. Will never be an Alsatian but got the spirit of a jack russel
                lol - not quite. Dachshund means badger dog. They were bred to go into the badgers set and either kill it or bring it out.
                Dacar was our other dachshund. A proper standard wire. His jaws and bite were the same size as a big alsatian (german shepherd) and his attitude would have done a wolverine proud.

Over the course of a week at gemund his territory would gradually increase until it covered the entire valley. And he wasn't averse to going out the caravan window after a rottweiler that was 200 yards away.

He was Fantastic with people - but pure death on legs to anything else. fastest animal I've ever seen. He could move his head, bite through something and move the head back faster than your could see. All you'd hear would be a click and you'd be holding one end of a neatly severed leather lead while he was tearing off down the road after a great dane. And when a 22 pound dog with jaws like godzilla launches itself at the head of a dog weighing 100 lbs. The big dogs always turned round and ran.
                Sensible really lol

Never understimate a hunting dachshund. In germany they used to use them in pairs to hunt wild boar. The idea is the dachshunds track and hold the boar at bay for the hunters to shoot. But every now and then the hunter gets their and the boars legs are broken and it's throat's torn out.

He was the toughest animal I've ever known. At his prime I'd have put money on him taking down a honey badger 1-1
                Cheated death half a dozen times, second bout of peretonitis finally got him.
                He went down fighting.
                Attached Files
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Everyone loves a good dog bud, my Alsatian rodesian ridge back cross was the best ill ever have, heart of a lion but general as a kitten when around kids
                  sigpic

Comment

Memories?
                    Here's a short one:
                    Sitting around a campfire at the camping area at "Peck's Pond", toasting hotdogs & marshmallows on sticks, and feeding peanuts to the many friendly chipmunks.
                    And if you stayed up late enough, you could watch "Miriam", a friend of my parents, drop peanuts between her huge boobs, and watch a chipmunk disappear into her blouse & return with the peanut.

I was just a kid, but I found that amazing!!!
                    No TV---No Computer games, so we watched "Miriam"!!!!

Bear
                    Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Always remember as a kid my dads friends would have about two parties a year and it was usually shortly after castrating time. Yep they would have nut fries from their pigs. As a kid I loved them and still do. The women would bring sides that fit on about 20 feet of tables, just covered with great food. Us kids would be out playing and always come back to grab a nut or two ans go back outside. The parents would be inside draining the kegs. Always a great time and usually led to us kids being tuckered out and a drunk dad driving the 2 miles home at 20 mph. Those ended in the early nineties and I sure do miss them. With a kid on the way I'm hoping to start something like this. Great memories!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                        Memories?
                        Here's a short one:
                        Sitting around a campfire at the camping area at "Peck's Pond", toasting hotdogs & marshmallows on sticks, and feeding peanuts to the many friendly chipmunks.
                        And if you stayed up late enough, you could watch "Miriam", a friend of my parents, drop peanuts between her huge boobs, and watch a chipmunk disappear into her blouse & return with the peanut.

Bear
                        And who wouldn't have :-)

Wonder if it works with squirrels too
                        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                          Memories?
                          Here's a short one:

Bear
                          Now THAT is entertainment!!!

Growing up, me parents had a house on a cul-de-sac. Every summer, all the neighbors would get together and have a huge block party in the center of the circle... It was a huge, grassy area just perfect for such an occasion. Everyone brought food... tons of it, and lots of liquor. Lots. Of. Liquor. Need I say more?

It was a shitload of fun, even as a wee lad that wasn't "supposed" to drink... It was funny as all hell as the night went on, watching the adults getting loose. We didn't have a "Miriam", butt we had a "Brenda", who had a rack you wouldn't believe. Let's just say, I got quite an education one year...

Heheheee!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Kelly Station on the Allegheny River.
                            Sittin on the dock in the evening fishing. Bonfires.. Cook over an open fire pit, Fish Fries, kids learning how to swim, horseshoes and cold brews.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                              My FIL (Awesome Guy ) decided to leave aboot 6 pounds of vacuum packed smoked salmon on me front porch this afternoon. He got them from the Chehalis River from some of the local guys he knows & grew up with. He's a strictly dry brine with rock salt or kosher guy for aboot 1.5-2 hours & uses only vine Maple for smoke, with a propane assist heater inside. He has a 4' x 4' wide x 8' high wood smokeshack that was rebuilt aboot 10 years ago due to some issues with a SS smoke & jumping embers He really does a nice job & has been at it since he was a kid. The same way his father & relatives did it.

Some of their parties in the fall a few years back would features dozens of oysters, razor clams, shrimp, smoked salmon, summer sausage, elk & deer steaks, side dishes, etc. along with the liquid refreshments both legal & illegal ..... Usually accompanied with 50's through 80's country music with a big emphasis on George Jones, Elvis & Hank SR. & JR. etc......... A real small town get together party with friends & family, that I am thankful that I got to experience several times through the years...... Those bigger parties seem to be fewer & fewer as that core group gets older, though still live on in my memories..... Some of us younger folks in our late 30's to early 50's keep the family together with a lot of get togethers with some fine food of our own, but mostly indoors, or outside around a nice big swimming pool with a cabana with a 10 seat bar & built in grill...... There is just something about being alongside a river on a gravel bar on a fall night, in the moonlight, with a big bonfire going & lots of food & drink (some legal) & some good old tunes coming out of a jacked up F-350. ...... Anybody else have memories like this?
                              You've got WAY TOO MANY MEMORIES. Can I join in yours since mine are limited? All the old ways are the things I love and see disappearing.
                              Arizona Deano
                              "Illegitimas Non-Carborundum!"

"Life is tough. Its tougher when you're stupid."
                              John Wayne

Comment

Working...
                              X