The green side of things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The green side of things

I am somewhat unfamiliar with the protocols of salads and such...cool greens.
    Any help with some guidelines here?

Washing, storage, serving? What about hot meat/poultry on the things?
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Depends on the country.

In the USA you can wash with cold water and store in the reefer. I wash the prebagged stuff as well, but they say you don't have to do so.

Hot things plated on greens are the same food protocol as normal food, once it is in the danger zone... 4 hours max!
    Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

Soo.. the greens must be stored at 40 or below? I'd assume you want to keep them close to 40 to avoid wilting/freezing. I do notice many places have seperate green chiller boxes for pre-made stuff.
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I tried storing lettuce in the reefer one time, makes the papers all wet.
        Chargriller Pro w. sfb
        Ducane 4100 propane grill
        Brinkman Electric

Member # 200

Comment

OK My father swears by these... Green Bags.. So I just ordered some... We will see how well they really work...

Guess this would be Smoked-Meat's version of Deal or Dud... I will report back when I get them and take pics from start to finish of a head of lettuce..
          Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

be interested in your trial results th. I've often seen those type of bags over here. never bought any Curious to see if they do work :-)

Sure ethylene causes foods (fruits in particular) to ripen, but absorbing ethylene won't effect bacteria and it's bacteria that causes rot.
            So I've always been a bit sceptical lol
            Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
              I am somewhat unfamiliar with the protocols of salads and such...cool greens.
              Any help with some guidelines here?

Washing, storage, serving? What about hot meat/poultry on the things?

lol. what about eating and not storing. just buy what you are going to use. and munch out. and bed bath and beyond,(do not know if you are familar with them) they have a salad saver has a plastic meash screen on the bottom and an air tight lid. I just make every thing in to the salad cept maters (they are to watery) eat and then put the rest in the salad saver and moister wicks into the bottom keeping the salad fresh for the next munch session. always store the cut tomato's in an ole plastic butter dish an add to the salad as needed.

meats and cheese, (I love it on salads.) I chop and store in zip locks, add as needed to the bowled up salad before eating. and to keep the chesse/meat fresh I have a jar of straws in the kitchen area. when I am ready to store the meat cheese ect. I insert a straw in to the zip lock as far as I can, zip the bag all the way to the straw, put the other end in my mouth and pull a vacum on it. holding my fingers on the straw as it rest against the locking device of the zip lock and as all the air is removed use my teeth (if from Oregon, NM use tooth) to slowly remove the straw and at the same time lock the air out of the bag..(pat.pendin)
              hope this was some type of help.

those green Bags TH wrote about. been there done that. every one swears by them that use's them. I found I have to clean them dry em and store them and, and. just did not have time for all the extra work.hence make her all up and eat.
              they might be enjoyed by others though.
              sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
              nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

I only buy what we will eat because lettuce just doesn't keep that long in the fridge. I try to do something with the lettuce in the next day or 2...maybe 3.

I love to make grilled chicken salads and as long as you eat your salad soon after you make it (before the lettuce starts wilting), I think it's OK to put hot chicken (or beef) on the lettuce. I can't stand ordering a grilled chicken salad in a restaurant and the chicken is cold when I get it. That's just not right in my book. I like my shredded cheese melted on the chicken.

Always rinse off your greens though...even the pre-packaged ones. Sometimes if I have some lettuce that is starting to wilt, I will rinse it again and the water seems to help it perk back up. But if it's starting to turn brown it gets tossed.
                Last edited by sweet_magnolia; 06-03-2009, 11:51 AM.
                Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                Weber Smokey Joe
                Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                Pink Thermapen
                Purple Thermapen

Comment

i keep lettuce for up to 2 wks fine in a gallon zip as soon as it comes from the store.
                  helpful hint- tomatoes will soften & make lettuce wilt faster in the same bin.
                  store lettuce w/ potatoes & onions & tomatoes in a separate bin or @ room temp.
                  brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
                  18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
                  cast iron Hibachi
                  22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
                  & rotisserator
                  12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
                  stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
                  Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
                  http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
                  my music recordings-
                  http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

Working...
                  X