Sourdough Pizza Shells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sourdough Pizza Shells

Rather than discard our sourdough starter when we feed it, we've been keeping it, and when we get enough, we make a pizza shell and freeze it. It's pretty handy. When we want to make pizza, we just grab the shells, thaw them (takes about 10 minutes), add our fixin's, and bake. The nice thing is since it is partially pre-baked, if you don't use a stone (we do) you can put it right on the oven rack to finish.

1 1/2 C sourdough starter
    1 1/2 C unbleached AP flour
    1 t salt
    1 T evoo

Mix and knead to make a soft dough (if too sticky, add flour, if too stiff add more starter), cover and let rest 1/2 hour, roll out 12 inch shell (toss if you're really good, I'm not) bake in 550° oven for 4 to 5 minutes, freeze.

When you want to make pizza, thaw shell, brush evoo on surface, put fixin's on shell, bake for about 10 minutes and 425°.

I would like to try this smoked, so if you do it before me, please post it.

Here is a taco pizza we made last weekend.

Started with a sourdough shell, brushed with evoo, topped with taco sauce, seasoned ground beef, crushed nacho chips, sharp cheddar cheese, baked at 425° for 9 minutes, then topped with lettuce, onions, tomatoes, and pizza cheese.

Tom

Whoa Gunny! That rascal looks real fine! Nice!
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Looking gooooooooooooooooooooooood
      Chargriller Pro w. sfb
      Ducane 4100 propane grill
      Brinkman Electric

Member # 200

Comment

Real nice lookin pie!
        Gene

sigpic

The Farm...
        http://gardenofeatn-rhf.blogspot.com/

Comment

Good looking pizza, Tom. Sounds like a real simple recipe too.
          sigpic
          Smoke Vault 24

Comment

I've never smoked a pizza before, and I'd like to try this dough when I smoke one.

Tom

Comment

I'm likin this! Tryin ta figure how to get some smoke on it!
              Sunset Eagle Aviation
              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Yummy pizza there Gunny!
                We have not made one at home in awhile I gotta get on that! Pastrami pizza is my favorite, but your taco pizza is gonna be the next one we make for sure!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Sorry I could only give you one
                  "points"

That's awesome Dude!

Comment

i hate to direct to the darkside, but i believe, it was Scott in KC, who has passed......i will to check.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ighlight=Pizza

if you go to smurf, just type in pizza in the advanced seach titles only, and LOTS of smoked pizza threads

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

that's a fine looking pizza - have to admit I've yet to play with sourdough. maybe a project for the next free weekend I get :-)

I do recall a couple of smoked pizza threads and in both people thought they were pretty disgusting.
                      Smoke the toppings sure - but the whole thing ?
                      Dunno somehow it just doesn't feel right.
                      Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Now that looks good. nice job...
                        Custom Reverse Flow Smoker, WSM 22", Blackstone Griddle 36"

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                          that's a fine looking pizza - have to admit I've yet to play with sourdough. maybe a project for the next free weekend I get :-)

I do recall a couple of smoked pizza threads and in both people thought they were pretty disgusting.
                          Smoke the toppings sure - but the whole thing ?
                          Dunno somehow it just doesn't feel right.
                          I don't know. A couple have done them here in the last few months, and they claimed they were good. I have smoked biscuits before. My wife loves them.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                          X