question on drying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question on drying

As some of you already know I've been practicing my salmon smoking.
    The last two tests i've noticed that while trying to achieve this "pelicle" I go from still kinda wet and tacky straight to dry. My question is this....is this wetish tackyness where I should stop and put it in the smoker (only seems to take a half hour or so) or do I let it dry longer and it'll get there eventualy???? Have a whole salmon drying on the counter right now so any advice quickly would be much apreciated.
    Thanks,
    Rob

I let my salmon dry in the refrigerator overnight before I smoke it.
    sigpic MAK 2 Star General, Traeger PTG, Bradley Smoker, Char-Broil SRG, Camp Chef 3 Burner
    http://www.smokinpetebbq.com

Comment

ok...so I must just need to give it more time. I'm drying on the counter with a small fan on it. Seems like I read it should take a couple hours using that method.

Comment

Originally posted by smoker pete View Post
        I let my salmon dry in the refrigerator overnight before I smoke it.
        My FIL does that also. I'm typically 3-4 hours with a fan on it. I'm guessing the fridge will also suck some of the moisture out of it?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
          My FIL does that also. I'm typically 3-4 hours with a fan on it. I'm guessing the fridge will also suck some of the moisture out of it?
          FIL ??

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinRob View Post
            FIL ??
            father-in-law
            Where to Shop -
            www.OwensBBQ.com

Follow Tatonka Dust on Facebook -
            https://www.facebook.com/TatonkaDust

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinRob View Post
              FIL ??
              Father In Law

I have used the fan method... works well if you wanna get it done quicker. Usually, I use the fridge...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

to answer your actual question.
                the slightly tacky 'wetness' is the pellicle.
                IT's a layer of protein that forms - contrary to popular belief - rather than aiding smoke uptake it actually inhibits it by forming a barrier.

This is a good thing. Otherwise the fish would absorb way too much smoke and you'd end up with something that tasted like a nicotine addicts ashtray.
                Wet surfaces absorb more smoke than dry surfaces - and 'wet' meats like fish will absorb a lot more than 'dry' meats like beef, pork etc. Without the natural formation of the pellicle fish would be a right bastard to get the level of smoke right.

Personally I don't think it makes any difference whether you do this before you put the fish in the smoker or not.
                First thing that's going to happen in the smoker is the surface of the fish will dry out and form a pellicle !
                So why take extra time doing something that will happen in the smoker anyway

I just pat dry and smoke :-)
                Last edited by curious aardvark; 10-21-2012, 06:54 PM.
                Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

I have done it both ways, but you do want a really good pellicle. You will find forming a good pellicle will help you from not getting those boogers forming. Keeping to lower temps will help also. I usually set my PID controller in steps of 10°.
                  110°-120°F for 1-2 hours, then increase to
                  130-140° for 2-4 hours, then increase to
                  160° for 1-2 hours to finish

PBC Drum Smoker
                  Bradley Digital 4 Rack
                  THE BIG EASY INFRARED TURKEY FRYER
                  Miss Piggy Smoker
                  Sedona SD-9000 food dehydrator

Comment

Originally posted by devo View Post
                    I have done it both ways, but you do want a really good pellicle. You will find forming a good pellicle will help you from not getting those boogers forming. Keeping to lower temps will help also. I usually set my PID controller in steps of 10°.
                    110°-120°F for 1-2 hours, then increase to
                    130-140° for 2-4 hours, then increase to
                    160° for 1-2 hours to finish
                    the pellicle would naturally form in the first two hours.
                    long as the fish goes in dry - should never have any problems.
                    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

now I'm confused...I had read on the site that the pellicle helped to let the smoke "stick" to the salmon.

Comment

Dont be confused, yes the smoke will stick better to your fish. I have smoked many many pounds of fish and always follow this good advice.

Place fish in a single layer on drying racks and ensure that the pieces DON’T touch each other. Dry in a cool, shady place until a hard pellicle forms. Fish will have a tough, shiny coat and will be slightly tacky to the touch. (Winter time tip! Dry 12-36 hours in a cold place such as an unheated garage, but DON’T allow to freeze) In the summer temps, it can typically take 3-4 hours for the fish to “glaze”. A fan can help speed the drying process. DON’T let the fish spoil from warm temps! Turn the fish over 2-3 times during the Glazing process to ensure more complete glazing. It is during the glazing process that you can sprinkle on certain spices (e.g. cayenne pepper) and/or visual enhancers (e.g. parsley flakes).

PBC Drum Smoker
                        Bradley Digital 4 Rack
                        Miss Piggy Smoker

Comment

I have smoked a shitload of fish over the years & I have found that it makes no difference in the finished product. I rinse off the fish & pat it dry with paper towels & sprinkle on salt & pepper & put it in the smoker. Comes out great.
                          MES 30"
                          A-Maze-N pellet smoker
                          Weber 22" kettle
                          E-Z-Que rotisserie
                          Weber Smokey Joe
                          Big Weber Gasser
                          Cracker Smoker
                          UDS

Comment

Originally posted by L20A View Post
                            I have smoked a shitload of fish over the years & I have found that it makes no difference in the finished product. I rinse off the fish & pat it dry with paper towels & sprinkle on salt & pepper & put it in the smoker. Comes out great.
                            Well if that works for you that's great. For me I'm a firm believer in the pellicle serves several functions: it provides an ideal surface for the smoke flavor to adhere, it helps seal in the remaining moisture through the smoking process, and it prevents the fats in the fish from rising to the surface and spoiling.

Here is a batch I did that didn't have a good pellicle. A lot of the oils came to the surface. Not big deal, it don't taste any different just don't look that great.

Here's what my customers have come to expect.

PBC Drum Smoker
                            Bradley Digital 4 Rack
                            Miss Piggy Smoker

Comment

Wow....now I'm really confused..haha
                              I've heard all the way from "the pellicle is the most impotant part" to "it doesn't matter either way"...and from "the pellicle keeps the smoke out" to "the pellicle helps grab the smoke to get more in the fish".
                              So I waited until it was dry, slight film and then put it in the smoker. Heavy smoke and 130* right now. I will bring it up to 140* in a couple hours and finish it off at about 160* until the internat fish temp is between 140-150*

Comment

Working...
                              X