Maiden GOSM voyage - stuffed chicken pics - Help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maiden GOSM voyage - stuffed chicken pics - Help needed

Sorry for the long title. Posted this in Propane, but it could go either way.

Backstory...Have had a GOSM 16" for awhile. Have perfected TBS on the 16". I know exactly how much smoke I should be seeing out of the vent & when it's perfect.

FF to today. Just bought a 20" GOSM. Seasoned it yesterday. Threw the chicken on & smoked until done. Problem is that I can't get the smoker to smoke appropriately unless the temp is at 260* which is a little high for my taste. 240* & she won't smoke. Open the door and the wood is not smoking. I thought about modifying by putting a vent on the side near the smokebox to allow a little more air to get to the wood, but wasn't for sure if it's the right play. NO smoke ring whatsoever & that's odd since I get a beautiful ring on the 16". See last pic for wood burn info...

fyi - the chicken was boneless/skinless so there was no need to bring temps up.

Please help!!!

Anyway..here's my stuffed chicken pics...

Flattened out chicken breast

added swiss, broccoli, green onion

cheddar on top

On the smoker

Done

Plated

Closeup w/ NO SMOKE RING

For a 3 hour smoke, here's how much wood was burned

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I kept cranking the temps up to 260* then down to 240*. Really got old after awhile.
    Chris
    UDS - Buckeye 1
    Charcoal Grill - Panther 1
    GOSM Wide Body
    Cabela's Masterbuilt 7-1 Electric
    2 Dutch Ovens
    Cabelas Grinder
    Cabelas Jerky Blaster
    Maverick ET-73 Thermometer
    Maverick ET-7 Thermometer

was the wood moist a little? maybe the thermostat is fubar? is there a bearer that you forgot to remove between the heating element and chip pan?
    I don't own a gosm. some one should be along soon.
    sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
    nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

nice job Coop. Great looking stuffed chicken....
      Custom Reverse Flow Smoker, WSM 22", Blackstone Griddle 36"

Comment

I don't have the GOSM, but on the Smoke Vault I usually use some chips along with the chunks. The chips get everything smoking and help keep the chunks smoldering. Throughout the smoke, I add a few more chips as necessary.
        sigpic
        Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Looks like the heat that got thru did the job for the cook though. How was the smoke flavor? Sound like ya know what yer lookin for lookin for TBS, bur yeah, them chunks shoulda been a bunch more charred! Remember it don't take a lot of smoke to be smokin!
          Lang 84 Deluxe (sold it, broke my heart)
          Weber Performer
          Weber 22.5" OTG
          Weber Q Tabletop Gasser
          Bunch of Sausage Makin' Kit
          Big Azz BBQ Concession Trailer
          BBQ Food Truck

Comment

Originally posted by Kyote View Post
            was the wood moist a little? maybe the thermostat is fubar? is there a bearer that you forgot to remove between the heating element and chip pan?
            I don't own a gosm. some one should be along soon.
            No moisture in the wood. Totally dry & been indoors for 6-9 months at least.
            No barrier between element & chip pan. Got an ET73 thermo and it's spot on.

Quite aggravating!!! I really think the wood pan is suffering from lack of oxygen, & will only smolder at higher temps.
            Chris
            UDS - Buckeye 1
            GOSM Wide Body
            2 Dutch Ovens
            Cabelas Grinder
            Cabelas Jerky Blaster

Comment

Originally posted by Seboke View Post
              Looks like the heat that got thru did the job for the cook though. How was the smoke flavor? Sound like ya know what yer lookin for lookin for TBS, bur yeah, them chunks shoulda been a bunch more charred! Remember it don't take a lot of smoke to be smokin!

Didn't have the smoke flavor I was looking for. Used cherry wood from a batch that I've used numerous times & it just wasn't there.
              Chris
              UDS - Buckeye 1
              GOSM Wide Body
              2 Dutch Ovens
              Cabelas Grinder
              Cabelas Jerky Blaster

Comment

get rid of the stock chip pan if that was what you were using...i have a gosm and mine did the same thing but when i changed it out to a 8" cast iron skillet no more problems with not getting any smoke...now i get the tbs nice and smooth..try that and see and remenber it doesnt hurt to run at 260 alot of people here do that and chicken you can always run hotter than that....hope this helps

on this pic you can see the the ci skillet
                Mike
                Oklahoma City
                22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
                Weber 22.5 Performer
                GOSM 3405gw
                Boomer Sooner Drum
                Maverick ET-732
                Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
                A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

Originally posted by doctor phreak View Post
                  get rid of the stock chip pan if that was what you were using...i have a gosm and mine did the same thing but when i changed it out to a 8" cast iron skillet no more problems with not getting any smoke...now i get the tbs nice and smooth..try that and see and remenber it doesnt hurt to run at 260 alot of people here do that and chicken you can always run hotter than that....hope this helps

on this pic you can see the the ci skillet
                  Already got rid of the stock pan....Transferred my 9x9 cake pan from my 16" GOSM.
                  Chris
                  UDS - Buckeye 1
                  GOSM Wide Body
                  2 Dutch Ovens
                  Cabelas Grinder
                  Cabelas Jerky Blaster

Comment

Hmmm, I use an 8 X 8 pan in my 16". Maybe it's just too big of chunks. Like Bassman suggested, use some chips too. Can you break some of that down a little?

I've got some oak chunks just as big in mine right now and it's smoking away. I broke some of it down a bit. Don't see why it wouldn't in a 20".
                    S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                    CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                    New Braunfels Bandera
                    UniFlame Gas Grill
                    Lil Chief

Comment

Working...
                    X