Advice Needed On Building a Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice Needed On Building a Smoker

I acquired a large stainless steel cabinet that I want to now convert into a smoker. Dimensions of smoker "40 inches wide x 36 inches deep x 80 inches tall".
    Question is: Can someone advise me on what size gas burner is needed to heat this size cabinet all controlled by thermostat? This is all new to me! Websites to order smoker equipment or advice on how to build greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help!

Welcome from Dayton!!

I cant help you but BBQ Engineer will be shortly! He might have a few ideas for you!! good luck!!
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Can't help you much either but it might help to know what you're planning on smoking sausages, fish, or meat?
      sigpic

Comment

Mainly, I am looking to smoke sausages and meats.

Comment

Lots of variable in those questions. This an insulated or bare steel cabinet? What part of the country do you live in, cold, warm? One website that comes to mind would be the sausagemaker.com. Lots of propane parts for smokers. Something you might want to consider, is finding a used propane stove off craigslist. Often times you can get them for free or very cheap. Remove the oven parts and retro fit them into your smoker. You have the dial, thermostat, lines and burner. So many different ways to go really. Look around here, see what others did.
          https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/album.php?albumid=45

In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I live in South Louisiana- so warm.
              Cabinet is uninsulated now but may insulate if it is worth doing. My original plan was to take the guts out of an old stove, but just trying to do more research to see what other options there are. Thanks for your suggestions!

Comment

welcome aboard,

not much on smoker building, but i will watch you. along those lines if you could post some pics of the cabinet it may help out our builders
                Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Meat Hunter View Post

Lots of variable in those questions. This an insulated or bare steel cabinet? What part of the country do you live in, cold, warm? One website that comes to mind would be the sausagemaker.com. Lots of propane parts for smokers. Something you might want to consider, is finding a used propane stove off craigslist. Often times you can get them for free or very cheap. Remove the oven parts and retro fit them into your smoker. You have the dial, thermostat, lines and burner. So many different ways to go really. Look around here, see what others did.
                  If I ever got around to needing another upright, that would be the route I would go. One of those smaller sized ones out of an RV would be about perfect.
                  Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

I have a converted commercial stainless fridge that is insulated and propane powered, thermostatically controlled with an electronic pilot light that will hold steady 100º to 350º temps if you are interested...
                    --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
                    www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

That seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. I am very interested in your set up! Please send me some information. Thanks!

Comment

http://www.sausagemaker.com/buildyourownsmokehouse.aspx

PBC Drum Smoker
                        Bradley Digital 4 Rack
                        THE BIG EASY INFRARED TURKEY FRYER
                        Miss Piggy Smoker
                        Sedona SD-9000 food dehydrator

Comment

Lots of beer! when I built mine it took lots of beer. That's the best advice I can give, drink heavily! Good luck And keep us posted.
                          JT

Comment

Whiskey Fish,
                            I like the way you think!

Comment

Working...
                            X