New yoder purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New yoder purchase

I have just purchased a YS 640 and am looking forward to getting it before Thanksgiving...hopefully.

A few of questions for a newbie to pellet smokers.

I see a lot of posts about a second fan.....is this a replacement fan for a defective one that came with the grill....or is it a second fan installed in the unit along with the original fan? Why is it necessary? What were the problems? Some of the posts were correlating this fan issue with the CFM of the original fan....is that correct and how did that effect the pellet usage?

If they are using 2 fans .... Will mine come with this upgrade/fix Already Installed?

Also will it come with the latest firmware and the device to install any future updates?

Have the updates and latest designs taken care of the temperature issues?

Don't mean to sound like I'm panicking....but maybe I am a little.

Still looking forward to the delivery and believe I have made the right purchase....just trying to do my homework ahead of time,

Thanks

Kelly
    sigpic
    Kmoser

BQGRILLS
    Large Patio Gas Grill
    Yoder 640
    UDS

Figgered ya deserved your own thread..and Welcome to Smoked-Meat!

And I removed your email from the post. Bad Idea to toss your email out on a public forum. Members can email you thru the forum, or private message you here easily enough.

Enjoy!
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Thanks

Kelly
      sigpic
      Kmoser

BQGRILLS
      Large Patio Gas Grill
      Yoder 640
      UDS

Comment

I'm sure the Yoder guy's and gals will be around soon
        Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
        Weber 22.5" WSM
        Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
        Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
        Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
        Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
        Weber 18.5" Kettle
        Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
        Weber Smokey Joe
        GMG Daniel Boone
        Pit Barrel Cooker
        Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
        6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
        Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
        The Vortex

Comment

Welcome from Dayton!! Now go smoke some meat!!

Okay I have had a Yoder YS640 since Dec 2011. You will LOVE it! Get to know your pit... As far as the updates... yours will come ready to rock and roll!! You will have the 2 fans and the most up to date firmware... I think it is U26 (which you see when you turn it on). They had a bad shipment of fans about 6 or 7 months ago.. they are ALL fixed right now from what I can gather. You will just need to clean off the grates... they will be DIRTY... that is it... fire it up and you will be good to go...

They put the second fan in to help regulate the temp across the pit.. I have not had any temp issues...since I put in the new firmware.. I was one of the lucky ones who was very success full with my old firmware.. the new one is better... you will still get a few HOT spots but for the most part the grates are even..

GET SOME PELLETS.... GOOOOOD PELLETS... if you did not add extra pellets then you will need some very quickly... what they sent you will last about 3 days...or less depending on temps you are cooking at and the weather outside...

If you have any other questions feel free to ask... if you need a good pellet guy let me know and I can send you the info in a PM..

You did make a great decision and will be a very happy Yoder owner and we cant wait to see you get after it!!
          Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
          Yoder YS640
          Weber Genesis
          Weber 18.5" Kettle
          Weber Performer
          Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

On an unrelated note... I talked to Okie Joe today. What a great guy. I know all issues are dealt with with these guys, but I gotta say- just yakking with him was good stuff.
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Thanks for the advice...feeling more relaxed now...
              sigpic
              Kmoser

BQGRILLS
              Large Patio Gas Grill
              Yoder 640
              UDS

Comment

Man the yoder is a beast. when i originally got mine I had some issues, however the guys at Yoder quickly solved them. I did upgrade to the new software and I am currently having issue temps, but Don at Yoder is all over that. I talked to him today and he is currently resolving the issue and will get back to me. I would recommend the Thermal Jacket and alot of friggin pellets. Also, your Yoder will come ready to rock and roll but make sure you clean the grates as BoB said. You picked an excellent unit and I hope you have as much as we do with ours. I am currently looking into buying a bigger unit because people love the food im making and asking me to cater crap now lol.

Comment

Thanks..

Km
                  sigpic
                  Kmoser

BQGRILLS
                  Large Patio Gas Grill
                  Yoder 640
                  UDS

Comment

Originally posted by Kmoser View Post
                    I have just purchased a YS 640 and am looking forward to getting it before Thanksgiving...hopefully.

A few of questions for a newbie to pellet smokers.

I see a lot of posts about a second fan.....is this a replacement fan for a defective one that came with the grill....or is it a second fan installed in the unit along with the original fan? Why is it necessary? What were the problems? Some of the posts were correlating this fan issue with the CFM of the original fan....is that correct and how did that effect the pellet usage?

If they are using 2 fans .... Will mine come with this upgrade/fix Already Installed?

Also will it come with the latest firmware and the device to install any future updates?

Have the updates and latest designs taken care of the temperature issues?

Don't mean to sound like I'm panicking....but maybe I am a little.

Still looking forward to the delivery and believe I have made the right purchase....just trying to do my homework ahead of time,

Thanks

Kelly
                    Great purchase, I have had mine since Feb. of this year, and love it.
                    Your pit will arrive with all updates installed...including the newer quiet fans and firmware U26.
                    The 2nd fan (which is the most outside fan) was added to help cool the pellet hopper, reduce pellet coning, and reduce pellet consumption. The pellet consumption on my pit went down a solid 1/2 to 3/4 lb. per hour since I installed the 2nd fan.Again, yours will already be installed.

The temp issues your hearing about have been corrected by the fans.
                    The only temp issues they seem to have right now are caused by ambient temps. The temps outside here in Iowa are around 45*, this is causing problems with heat-up. If I start in H1, it may take 1 hour for my grill to get to set temp. H2 is a little faster...and H3 is around 20 minutes.

When you get your pit, it will be fully assembled...for the most part. Before starting it, I recommend washing the drip pan, stainless firepot plate and the inside of your pit. They will have oil and manufacturing residue on them...and they stink when burned. So, wash it well with dish washing detergent and warm water.
                    To do the initial burn in, set the pit at 350* with the sliding baffle all of the way to the right. When it reaches 350*, let it burn for a solid 1 hour... this will burn out the impurities left in the pit. Some folks put a small amount of cooking spray on all surfaces before this step...it is purely optional.

I also recommend getting some of that green abrasive pad used for washing dishes. Gently clean your thermocouple every 2 or 3 cooks...excess build up "could" throw off your temps in time.

Other than that...stock up on pellets! I have averaged 80 to 100 lbs per month....and I only use mine moderately.

ENJOY!!!
                    Mark

Homemade 22 year old "Pro-smoker"
                    Yoder YS640
                    Smoke daddy
                    100% Lumberjack pellets

Comment

Mark

do you have a suggestion on pellet brand....I see you have listed lumberjack?

Also what is the most economical site/method of getting the pellets?

thanks

Kelly
                      sigpic
                      Kmoser

BQGRILLS
                      Large Patio Gas Grill
                      Yoder 640
                      UDS

Comment

Mark

do you have a suggestion on pellet brand....I see you have listed lumberjack?

Also what is the most economical site/method of getting the pellets?

thanks

Kelly
                        I like Lumberjack pellets. They are pure wood...no flavor oils. They don't use oil to lube their machinery, only straight water to clean it, and only use whole trees. Which means no recycled pallets covered in anti-freeze or motor oil. I also smoke and cure my own meats/sausages...so I'm fussy.

Call Jerry...he's the head of sales.715-866-8535.... Here's a link

www.bbqgrillingpellets.com/Dealers.html

The shipping depends on where you live. I'm in Iowa, so I can get a pallet delivered for $85. Others on this forum...say in California, would experience higher shipping costs. But, the price for a 40 lb. bag is $7.70, unless you want 100% apple which is $16.80...or 100% mesquite which is $16.00.
                        They currently have 14 different flavors to choose from.

Anymore questions, feel free to ask.

Mark
                        Last edited by gwapogorilla; 11-19-2012, 04:03 PM.
                        Mark

Yoder YS640
                        Smoke daddy
                        100% Lumberjack pellets

Comment

Originally posted by gwapogorilla View Post
                          or 100% mesquite which is $16.00.
                          Can't figger out why that brushwood should be sold at all...

Comment

Mark

Do you use the blended pellets?

Are they as good?

Big difference in price..

Kelly
                            sigpic
                            Kmoser

BQGRILLS
                            Large Patio Gas Grill
                            Yoder 640
                            UDS

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                              Can't figger out why that brushwood should be sold at all...
                              Gawd, I thought I was the only person that didn't care for mesquite. Just way too harsh for my palate.

Mark

Do you use the blended pellets?

Are they as good?

Big difference in price..

Kelly
                              Personally...and I mean for my own personal taste, I buy only the 100% varieties. Simply so I can use them in my smoker to hams and sausage as well.
                              My wife and I liked a hand blended mix of 100% hickory and 100% cherry in a 50/50 ratio. It came up to temp well, has a great flavor and the cherry wood punches the smoke ring all of the way through a rack of ribs.
                              Others on here have bought lumberjack blends...maybe they will jump into the thread.

As for over smoking...no such thing on a Yoder. The duel fan system keeps the air circulating ...so you end up with a very mellow smoke flavor. So don't be afraid to try 100% blends. I actually have to use my smoke daddy in conjunction to my grill. Others here us the "mazing-smoker".
                              Last edited by gwapogorilla; 11-19-2012, 04:26 PM.
                              Mark

Yoder YS640
                              Smoke daddy
                              100% Lumberjack pellets

Comment

Working...
                              X