pork spareribs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pork spareribs.

well i changed things around they had whole spare ribs two or three to a pack for 2.00 a pound at sam's club. 29.99 for 14 pounds. First thing should i cut them down to st louis style and the rib tips or leave them whole.
    I am thinking two rubs one.
    Lemon pepper garlic itailan seasoning salt some brown suger. can i just do a part of each say 1/4 cup of each or should i go alittle more specific.
    second i am unsure and open to your thoughs. Maybe a wine sauce or just do them the same as the others.
    How long should i smoke them and what temp I did some a year ago in the oven with a wine sauce and in alum. foil. They fell apart. And is apple wood in the bradley ok for the ribs.
    Also what is this i hear about soaking them in apple juice just so happens i bought some today,

I like to leave them whole and do a 3-2-1. There is a lotta great meat to nibble on around those tendons. Take the leftovers and pull the meat off for sammies.

As far as that rub goes, go with your first instinct, then just keep stickin your finger in there and tastin and adjusting till you go WOW.

Oh and try to keep that smoker around 250.
    Keith

Comment

Apple should be fine. I've used it and combined with hickory. Both are good. Trimming is completely up to you. I don't bother. I just clean up the excess fat and remove the membrane, but that's me. There's a couple of stickies in the pork section pertaining to that.

225-250 and use the 3-2-1 or 2-2-1 method depending on how you trim them. Some like to use apple juice and or combo of liquor in a spray bottle. I usually spray them before foiling.

Here's a post for some rubs. If you don't have Excel, use openoffice.org, that's what I use.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101

Edit: Here's a post on the 3-2-1 method. And I believe it's 172 internal temp of ribs? Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. But that's what I shoot for.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1676
      Last edited by RowdyRay; 06-06-2009, 03:04 PM.
      S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
      CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
      New Braunfels Bandera
      UniFlame Gas Grill
      Lil Chief

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRay View Post
        Edit: Here's a post on the 3-2-1 method. And I believe it's 172 internal temp of ribs? Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. But that's what I shoot for.
        Temps on ribs are pretty rough to get... meat's too thin and too much bone. If you can get a decent reading, "feel" them at your done point. Some folks look for the "bend" when grabbing a slab at one end, some grab a bone and twist... some just KNOW. Experience is the best teacher here..and it's pretty fun getting the experience too!
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

thanks i did not know what the 3-2-1was heck i was going to throw them in for 4 hours of smoke and two or three of heat. but thanks guys. Brining chicken for the smoker mom and dad was not neg. that fact they loved the chicken yesterday.
          Originally posted by Richtee View Post
          Temps on ribs are pretty rough to get... meat's too thin and too much bone. If you can get a decent reading, "feel" them at your done point. Some folks look for the "bend" when grabbing a slab at one end, some grab a bone and twist... some just KNOW. Experience is the best teacher here..and it's pretty fun getting the experience too!

Comment

Originally posted by bigtim665 View Post
            thanks i did not know what the 3-2-1was heck i was going to throw them in for 4 hours of smoke and two or three of heat.

Hell, that would work also if you had your temps nice and low. Foil is not a necessity for tender ribs. The meat braises in the foil and becomes tender from the liquid in the foil instead of from the low and slow heat.
            Keith

Comment

Working...
            X