Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pot Roast with Carrots, Onion and Celery in the Dutch Oven in the Oven

Got my pretty DO out a few nights ago to use in the kitchen

Tried a pot roast a different way. I got the pot hot and seared a couple of onions. After turning them, I added carrots and a little celery and gave them a little sear. Removed all from the pot and added my chuck roast that had been seasoned with salt and fresh cracked pepper. Let it brown for a few and even tried to stand it on its sides to brown them, too. Removed the roast then added some beef broth and a little butter to de-glaze the pot. Put the roast and veggies back in and more broth to make the liquid even with the roast. Added a little thyme and rosemary and the pot went into a 350 degree oven for a little over an hour. Then I turned it down to 300 and it went another hour. Mixed up some flour and water for thickener, added to the pot and back into the oven for 10-15 minutes while I mashed some potatoes.

BEST pot roast I have ever made. I don't know if searing the veggies had anything to do with it or not but I will do them this way from now on.

The pot I restored

They could have browned a little longer.

Done with the juices thickened.

And my plate. I usually like to dip my pot roast in ketchup but I didn't touch it with this roast. It was very moist, tender and had a great flavor!

Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by sweet_magnolia; 11-21-2012, 02:12 PM.
    Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
    Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
    1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
    Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
    Weber Smokey Joe
    Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
    Pink Thermapen
    Purple Thermapen

That's just downright Killer Kentucky Komfort Kooking Kid

I always try to flour & brown/sear beef chunks when making stew, time permitting, never thought aboot doing the veggies also. I'm guessing that adds even more flavor to it. Great idea Becky
    sigpic

Comment

OMG! Your Dutch oven cooks are sexy! It's a damn good the we live far apart. I'd be stopping by with an empty stomach and a full bottle of Jack!
      Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
      Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
      SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
      Yoder Wichita
      Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
      Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
      Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

Forgot, nice job on the DO restoration
        sigpic

Comment

Home Run!!!!

Comment

yep, nicely done as always. Old school DO cooking always impresses.
            Just because you welded some shit together doesnt make it a WSM.

Twitter: @GrubSeeker

Comment

A little caramelization on the classic mirpoix can be nothing but great in a pot roast Ma'am :{) Along with the Maillard reaction on the meat! I got for that!
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

agree with Rich... that caramelization is where its at... is that the "B' model there? looks like you started with a very nice looking roast too. awesome job as always and good to see the resto in action!
                Charbroil SFB
                GOSM
                MES
                Dutch Ovens and other CI
                Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Very nice looking meal!!!
                  Weber Performer, 26" Weber grill, 18" WSM, UDS, Santa Maria Grill

Comment

That's a beautiful Dutch Oven Becky. I'm going to have to look for one to use for myself then to hand down to my daughter. I do the veggie caramelization thing when I make Hamburger or Beef Stew to hurry the cooking process along. I does make a difference in the broth flavor.

Comment

Originally posted by Wingman View Post
                      OMG! Your Dutch oven cooks are sexy! It's a damn good the we live far apart. I'd be stopping by with an empty stomach and a full bottle of Jack!
                      i'll bring the milk. damn. thats is just fantastic. i so want a plate of the goodness.
                      26.75 OTG
                      18.5 WSM
                      Pit Barrel Cooker

Comment

Hey Becky...

...you rock!! Beautiful resto on the DO, and what a wonderful looking supper!!! Searing/braising the veggies makes a whirled of difference... it really brings oot their flavor. Great job!! Have some well deserved I wanna come to your house for supper!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Re:

Beautiful piece of work Becky

Just to toss ya an idea that you may enjoy with that, "Yorkshire Pudding". You could cut this recipe in half just to experiment.

8 ounces salt pork, chopped
                          2 cups all-purpose flour
                          1 1/2 teaspoons salt
                          2 cups skim milk, heated to 110°f.
                          3 large eggs

In a 8" or 10" dutch oven or cast iron skillet, over low heat, render pork, stirring occasionally, unit pork is lightly browned. About 25 to 30 minutes. Discard,( or save for other use) the pork. Pour off fat from pan. Let cool slightly. Make batter in a large mixing bowl, combine flour and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk in milk and eggs and 2 tablespoons of the fat until smooth. Slowly whisk milk mixture into flour mixture until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest at room temperature for 1 hour. Preheat two 10" dutch oven to 425°f. Divide remaining fat between the two ovens. Let fat come to a slight smoke. Whisk batter and pour half into center of each oven. Bake until golden brown, and edges are crisp, about 25 minutes. With skewer, poke small hole in center of each pudding and continue to bake until a deep golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes more. Transfer pudding to a cutting board and cut into wedges. Serve with au jus or gravy.

You may want to try this is a quiet kitchen where there isn't a lot of activity.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc1URQgQWNo

Comment

you did a great job on the pot roast, pass a plate this way.

my that is a good looking DO
                            Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Thanks, Everyone!

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                              Forgot, nice job on the DO restoration
                              Thanks. For those who missed it and want to see what the DO looked like before, you can see it here: http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17273

Originally posted by erain View Post
                              ... is that the "B' model there?
                              Nope and I'm not really searching for one since now I have FIVE of these that I'm working on. I think I need a 12-step program for cast iron.

Originally posted by MichChef View Post
                              I'm going to have to look for one to use for myself then to hand down to my daughter. .

Originally posted by eDJ View Post
                              Just to toss ya an idea that you may enjoy with that, "Yorkshire Pudding".
                              May give that a try sometime! Thanks!
                              Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                              Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                              1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                              Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                              Weber Smokey Joe
                              Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                              Pink Thermapen
                              Purple Thermapen

Comment

Working...
                              X