Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 69% contamination rate in pork?

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blog...ws-health.html

Holy Jesus, Joseph and Mary! Guess I never heard of this particular pathogen.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

I never did either, saw it on the news last night. It'll be interesting what pork prices do the next couple or days.
    sigpic

Comment

Keep buying that cheap factory pork folks,
      Just because you welded some shit together doesnt make it a WSM.

Twitter: @GrubSeeker

Comment

Originally posted by chisoxjim View Post
        Keep buying that cheap factory pork folks,
        No where in that article did it say that it was caused by the factory. Could be in your pork to from the butcher.
        sigpic

Comment

Unfortunately we consumers must trust the meat we purchase from the superchains. Not all of us have a farmer close to us we can trust to supply our meat. Cooking it to temp and using MH brine is the key to keeping it safe until it is deemed to be safe I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
            No where in that article did it say that it was caused by the factory. Could be in your pork to from the butcher.

Paragraph 5....

"There needs to be better hygiene at ANIMAL PLANTS." Aka factory farms and processors...

Enjoy your walmart and costco pork...

Comment

Originally posted by chisoxjim View Post
              Paragraph 5....

"There needs to be better hygiene at ANIMAL PLANTS." Aka factory farms and processors...

Enjoy your walmart and costco pork...
              Will do, cause its a pig that was probably raised in the same pen as the pig you get from yourbutcher just cheaper
              sigpic

Comment

Really?? We are here TOGETHER to discuss in an open forum peacefully. Lets keep it to discussions. Thank you!

Comment

they just want us buying that higher priced beef that's coming.
                  brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
                  18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
                  cast iron Hibachi
                  22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
                  & rotisserator
                  12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
                  stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
                  Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
                  http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
                  my music recordings-
                  http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

90% of the pork i buy is from small farms around where i live, none of their pork or beef ends up in costco. And by being a regular customer surprisingly the cost isnt that bad.
                    Last edited by chisoxjim; 11-28-2012, 06:34 AM. Reason: Ill play nice, some folks just dont know.

Comment

Originally posted by Marktee View Post
                      Unfortunately we consumers must trust the meat we purchase from the superchains. Not all of us have a farmer close to us we can trust to supply our meat. Cooking it to temp and using MH brine is the key to keeping it safe until it is deemed to be safe I guess.
                      I guess I don't know if the brine helps kill anything... but it will help if you feel better about 160° loins...

Really, this sounds more like a cross-contam issue during prep and such. Pork is rarely eaten "rare"... and I assume all those long cured things, with their salt and Ph levels are OK too.
                      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

News piece this morning said as long as you cooked the pork "properly" it would kill the pathogen.

Comment

Originally posted by Marktee View Post
                          Really?? We are here TOGETHER to discuss in an open forum peacefully. Lets keep it to discussions. Thank you!
                          Totally agree. From what I got from the article and the story on the news is that this is in the meat, not caused by humans. Important thing is to cook meat to correct temp. Just looked it must not be to big of a scare cause the market is up right now, usually it takes a hit when something like this happens.
                          sigpic

Comment

This article appears to be written more to attract attention to the writer and publication than inform the masses of the perils of yersinia enterocolitica . There is some "spin" to it. They mention the % of infection and 100,000 people infected yearly. What they do not say is what the level of contamination is and how it effects those infected. Trace levels can be called contamination if you want to call it that. Tap water is contaminated with chlorine just not enough to matter. If ten people get sick from peanut butter it is national news within 24 hours. Where are these 100,000 "infected" people ? I would venture to say that the writer is basing this number on how much pork is sold and coming up with a statistic based on those numbers. The article never mentions the actual effects of the bacteria. Never mentions the symptoms. If the purpose was to warn consumers of infection you would think those two things might have been included. You might leave them out if they pull a few of the articles teeth.
                            Weber Smoky Joe
                            18" Weber Silver
                            22.5" Weber Gold
                            22.5" Weber Silver
                            UDS X 2
                            Masterbuilt 30" MES digital
                            Masterbuilt MES 40" digital
                            Masterbuilt cold smoke attachment
                            Char-Broil Big Easy 3 in 1
                            Char-Broil COS with Ron Fischer mods.
                            Dual Char-Broil BBQ Bistros
                            Blackstone three burner flat top
                            5" AMZNPS
                            Vortex x 2
                            Maverick ET 73
                            Maverick ET 732
                            Maverick Pro Temp instant read thermometer
                            Thermo Works Smoke Dual Channel Thermometer
                            Pitmaster iQue 110
                            sigpic

Comment

and another piece of panic news gets spread.

bacterial spores are airborne. pretty much everything is covered in them.
                              Swab a newly cleaned surface and culture the swab and there'll be bacteria.

cook it properly and there is no problem - so there is no actual problem.

People who have poor hygiene and don't cook properly will continue to get sick and the rest of us won't.
                              Remember to throw away the green mouldy bits and you'll be fine.

It's NOT news.
                              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                              X