Looking for a vertical gas insulated smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a vertical gas insulated smoker

If I did have 300 gallons of propane to burn up I'd buy a MES 40. But, I have a 1000 gallon tank with over 30% left. So, since I live in Wisconsin in a windy area I like to find a larger vertical gas smokers. I have a Treager that's broke and I am working on fixing that. But, I need a sausage smoker that can handle 2 batches at once. I can find nice insulated ones, (MES) but not in gas. Anyone have a preference in these gassers? Does anyone actually build a quality one that can go low and slow? I don't mind do a few butts and brisketts at one time either. Love an MES but heck 300 gallons of propane for just smokin should last me almost a lifetime. Budget? $800 about. Thanks for any help or direction you can give.

If you yer handy and have acsess toa shop I built this one for just under your budjet.and it is a low and slow sausage smokin machine
    I heat it witha kettle for heavy meats and a gas burner for low temp sausages.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19609
    2-22.5'' weber
    1-18'' weber
    1 smokey joe
    22.5'' wsm
    24'' smoke vault
    1-outhouse
    Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
    Smoked meathead #135

Comment

That's nice very nice. Wasn't quite thinking that big though... Lol.. But, you never know

Comment

Originally posted by Pstores View Post
        That's nice very nice. Wasn't quite thinking that big though... Lol.. But, you never know
        Well, you'll never walk out to your smoker with a batch of sausage, go to hang it up, and say to yourself "I wish this thing was smaller......". Trust me.
        Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Originally posted by IrishChef View Post
          Well, you'll never walk out to your smoker with a batch of sausage, go to hang it up, and say to yourself "I wish this thing was smaller......". Trust me.
          That is for sure
          But you could use the design for anysize you would like .I actually just took BBQ Engineers Iron build and blew it up out of wood.
          2-22.5'' weber
          1-18'' weber
          1 smokey joe
          22.5'' wsm
          24'' smoke vault
          1-outhouse
          Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
          Smoked meathead #135

Comment

If I did have 300 gallons of propane to burn up I'd buy a MES 40. But, I have a 1000 gallon tank with over 30% left
            Surely they are both the same
            Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
              Surely they are both the same
              Yes, lol... That was suppose to say if I didn't have 300 gallons of propane to burn up..... Lol...

Comment

Alright, due to the lack of response thinking its a mds and then 2013 I will design and build a smoker. Have to go buy a plasma cutter..... Found a great place to buy controls and such. But, pretty pricey..... So, now shopping for MES.

Comment

So, now shopping for MES.
                  Not that I'm against the MES, I have owned one before..... Does anyone know if the newer ones have corrected the wiring problems? Also, they are made in China the last I heard, if that matters? To some, it does. I love the size & general concept of the 40" MES, but would like to hear from some folks that owned one that was built in the past 3-4 years & how well they like them & the reliability.
                  sigpic

Comment

Ya, I do my best not to buy anything from china. I did find some nice gas control on a site that is USA I hope. Anyway, I am going to start my design process. After done I know some very reasonable shops that will bend it the way I want it. Then I can weld all the pieces together from them. I do know if I go this route the budget will be gone. Gas controls and and burner will be a $1000 alone. But it will be very well made and will suit my purpose. I may also try to incorporate the Treager or part of it into the build.

Comment

Alright, due to the lack of response thinking its a mds and then 2013 I will design and build a smoker. Have to go buy a plasma cutter..... Found a great place to buy controls and such. But, pretty pricey..... So, now shopping for MES.
                      Ya want to share this information?....

Comment

Here is what I found so far. With the list I think I may talk to some local people and see if they can order the same parts for less. May not need the smoke generator. Just saw that that's $325. So, that gets it down to $700 roughly. Anyway here is the link. http://www.sausagemaker.com/49950gas...0lbsmoker.aspx

Comment

It is one stop shopping with them, but there are alternatives.

http://gassmoker.com/c-burner.htm

Is one, I am tinkering with the idea of a burner out of a waterheater that has all the safety features built in. Flame sensor, electronic ignition etc...

Although I am still thinkin of a WSM......

Comment

Hot water heater should work well. I want to find one maybe out of a very small oven. Thermostatically controlled. But get down to the lowest flame possible. I am going to insulate with K-wool. (High temp ceramic insulation)

Comment

I have found that most oven controllers really don't like to go below 250 or so. There is a whole bunch of thing to keep in mind with gas. pressure orifice size burner size etc.

Been there done it, still have not perfected it. Me personally I think I could heat my cab with a bunsen burner with higher pressure so it would not bur out when I open and close the door.

Have not blown my self up yet........

Keep us up to date what you come up with.

Comment

Working...
                              X