Competition Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Competition Ribs

Ok, going to my first ribs only comp. I've got a good plan I think. Going to use Wolfe rub original and a cherry chepotle (spelling) sauce for the finishing. Will spray with a mix of JD, white grape juice and cherry juice. Thought about doing half the ribs in foil and the other without. I've had complements on the ribs when I've done them this way. Anyone have any other suggestions to bring home a 1st or 2nd place??
    www.nopigleftbehind.com
    -----------------------------

Originally posted by gooose53 View Post
    Anyone have any other suggestions to bring home a 1st or 2nd place??
    Yep............................................... ....................What time do you want me to show up?
    Actually, I don't think I've successfully smoked ribs yet. Every time I try, I get sidetracked and end up over cooking them. Still edible, I guess, but nothing to brag about.
    But good luck. I hope you win.

Tom

Comment

Ok, going to my first ribs only comp.
      Anyone have any other suggestions to bring home a 1st or 2nd place??

Not unless you happen to know who the judges are and what their philosophy is on appearance, texture and taste. Every competition event is different. You can smoke your meat, dress your box the same way every time and come up with so varied results.

Where is your competition at and is it a KCBS sanctioned event. When you go, take some pics of the event happenings and post them for us all.
      sigpic

Comment

Make them "noticable". That said... I'd rather have them done on Sat afternoon for company. I have never done better than second, but I am guilty of cooking "edible" ribs, not comp ribs.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by davidmcg View Post
          Not unless you happen to know who the judges are and what their philosophy is on appearance, texture and taste. Every competition event is different. You can smoke your meat, dress your box the same way every time and come up with so varied results.

Where is your competition at and is it a KCBS sanctioned event. When you go, take some pics of the event happenings and post them for us all.
          That is so true!! I know guys who win on a regular basis and then sometimes they get 10th. They do the same thing everytime......judging? Had a conversation with someone on another board (you know which one) and he didn't believe that judging was subjective and that no matter where you went you would be judged the same. Can't go along with that. It's all blind judging so no one is getting unfair advantage. It's a SCBA (South Carolina BBQ Association) judged event. There is nothing in the box except meat, no garnish no nothing. I get so wrapped up in prepping, cooking, resting and cleaning I tend to forget about the pics. I'll try and do a better job at this one.
          www.nopigleftbehind.com

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
            Make them "noticable". That said... I'd rather have them done on Sat afternoon for company. I have never done better than second, but I am guilty of cooking "edible" ribs, not comp ribs.
            What did you do to get second? Anything special?
            www.nopigleftbehind.com

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
              Yep............................................... ....................What time do you want me to show up?
              I'll feed you if you help!!
              www.nopigleftbehind.com

Comment

What did you do to get second? Anything special?
                Well, I did use a sauce- I usually don't. Was just a commercial sauce thinned with my bourbon mop sauce.

If you hit the judges right- you win. Sometimes it has little to do with how "good" you and others around you think the ribs are. Do your best and good luck!
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Thanks!! Will have fun no matter what!
                  www.nopigleftbehind.com

Comment

When you say "Rib only" comp, i take it its not sanctioned, so you will probably be dealing with "back yard" type judges. Not that they are any easier as back yard just different strategies. In IOWA, our tastes could be a little different, such as sweet, ketchup, heavy sauced, not my idea of good ribs, but I'm not the judge. Something i have done, and won that event was, I sent the GF to the local grocery stores, to figure out what the most popular BBQ sauces where, and bought some. If the judges taste something familiar, than they probably will like it, if it's a sauce they like(most pop at the local stores) they will like it, translates to good scores.

Don't under estimate a Backyard/rib fest, they can be just a tuff to win as a large sanctioned event, you are still dealing with local taste buds, i can tell ya what it takes in IOWA,Mizzery, and Illanoise, but haven't any Idea what it takes in the Carolina's.

GODD LUCK
                    My food WAS a vegaterian!!
                    Death Row Outfitters

Comment

Can't go wrong with a 3-1-1 method. I open up the foil (last hr) and mop - that carmelizes the sauce and wowzer.

You've got good ideas and support here - pics, pics, pics. also my address is Po Box BR-549 Gravel Switch, KY 0ICU812 - so you can send me some - so I can assist you in perfecting your ribs.

Now it may take 7 or 12 times, but keep sending them and I'll keep critiquing till we get it perfect - I am here to help.

Comment

Originally posted by workoutchamp View Post
                        Can't go wrong with a 3-1-1 method. I open up the foil (last hr) and mop - that carmelizes the sauce and wowzer.

You've got good ideas and support here - pics, pics, pics. also my address is Po Box BR-549 Gravel Switch, KY 0ICU812 - so you can send me some - so I can assist you in perfecting your ribs.

Now it may take 7 or 12 times, but keep sending them and I'll keep critiquing till we get it perfect - I am here to help.
                        That's why I like this board....everyone is so helpful!! "Po Box BR-549" - almost missed that!! Good one!
                        www.nopigleftbehind.com

Comment

My idea of podium competition ribs evidently differs from what the judges think... so my advice to you is just do the best job you can, turn 'em in on time, and pray.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Good luck Goose!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

I get so wrapped up in prepping, cooking, resting and cleaning I tend to forget about the pics. I'll try and do a better job at this one.
                              I hear ya Goose, I forget all the time. Usually don't get around to a picture or two unless my wife starts making fun of the fact I forgot to take a picture. She thinks I am nuts for taking pictures and posting them online here and my blog/webpage.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X