Well at it again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well at it again...

The caramel apple pie went so well they asked for another, gona go watch the Pac Man / Marquez fight at the In Laws and they asked for a pie. My little helper wasn't here to help today. Mom made her go home last night so I could sleep in today.

Here is the recipe...

Ingredients:

2 rolled-out rounds deep-dish piecrust

For the apples:

4 lb. Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and each cut into 8 slices
    1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
    1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
    1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
    3 Tbs. cornstarch
    1/4 stick of butter cut into small cubes

For the caramel:

1 1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
    1/2 cup light corn syrup
    6 Tbs. (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces
    1/2 tsp. kosher salt

1 egg white, beaten with 1 tsp. water
    2 tsp. granulated sugar and cinnamon

Directions:

Transfer 1 dough round to a 9-inch deep-dish pie dish and gently press into the dish. Trim the edges flush with the rim. Refrigerate the pie shell, cutouts and remaining dough round for 30 minutes.

To prepare the apples, in a large Dutch oven over medium heat, stir together the apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon juice. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the apples are just tender, about 20 minutes. Uncover and let cool to room temperature. Stir in the cornstarch.

To prepare the caramel, in a heavy 4-quart saucepan over medium heat, combine the brown sugar, corn syrup, butter and salt. Cook until the mixture is bubbling vigorously, about 9 minutes, stirring only during the first 2 to 3 minutes of cooking. Let cool until just warm. Preheat an oven to 425°F.

Let the pie shell stand at room temperature for 5 minutes. In a large bowl, combine the apple mixture and cup of the caramel; reserve the remaining caramel for serving. Pour the apple filling into the pie shell, place small cubes of butter on the apples, and place the top crust over the pie.
    Trim the edges flush with the rim and press the top and bottom crusts together. Brush the entire top crust with egg wash and sprinkle with the granulated sugar and cinnamon.

Place the pie dish on a baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes then turn oven down to 325 and finish baking for 1/2 hour or until the crust is golden brown, Let the pie cool on a wire rack for at least 2 1/2 hours before serving. Warm the reserved caramel sauce and serve alongside the pie for drizzling. Serves 8

Just got to thinking and this doesn't have any caramel in it , but that is what they called it and it's very tasty... good luck if you try and make it.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BIGGLOPEZ; 12-08-2012, 05:26 PM.
    God, Family and Friends is what it's all about. Great food just brings them all together... First John1:9...
    Weber Performer Gold
    Masterbuilt 26" twins
    Big Chief Electric smoker
    Brinkmann barrel smoker
    LEM sausage stuffer
    Cabela's pro HD grinder
    Maverick ET-732
    ThermoWorks Thermapen
    GrillGrates

Best I go to the store fer some vanilla ice cream! Best if you make another! Cause i'm on/all over that!
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Looks good Gilbert
      I rub it every chance I get!

QUOTE = Meat Hunter

Granted, all this is just in my head. Until I win the lotto, or my career as a stripper pays off, I'm forced to use the kitchen counter....

Comment

Good lord Gilbert! Your killing me with the pie...
        88 is on the throttle about the vanilla ice creme. I best get to heading your way. Got to get on it while it's hot!
        Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
        Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
        SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
        Yoder Wichita
        Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
        Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
        Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

Thanks for the kind words folks, yup gota have the vanilla ice cream.
          God, Family and Friends is what it's all about. Great food just brings them all together... First John1:9...
          Weber Performer Gold
          Masterbuilt 26" twins
          Big Chief Electric smoker
          Brinkmann barrel smoker
          LEM sausage stuffer
          Cabela's pro HD grinder
          Maverick ET-732
          ThermoWorks Thermapen
          GrillGrates

Comment

Working...
          X