Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do with them Extra peppers. Or, a reason to grow a bunch.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with them Extra peppers. Or, a reason to grow a bunch.

I meant to post this several weeks ago, but forgot. Running thru my pics and it reminded me to do so.

Anyhow, I love my peppers. Didn't have much of a crop this year due to low rains but did manage to squeak out some, namely, Cayenne.

A couple things I did. One, sliced in half lengthwise and dried in my dehydrator. Once dried, I ran them thru one of them Universal old time grinders that your grandmother might have used. Pretty cheap, and easy to find them, they work for so many things. This is a pic I stole offline to show what grinder I'm talking about. Its the same one I have.

Using the finer grind plate of the two shown here,

I run the dried peppers thru and into a bowl. From this, I get two things. The dust, which I use just like store bought Cayenne, and the coarser stuff, used just the store bought red pepper flakes. Keep both in mason jars that are vacuumed with my food saver jar lid sucker. I take everything and dump it into a fine meshed hand strainer and tap it till everything sifts out. Works like a champ.

For us sausage makers, sometimes we like to use peppers in them. Well if ya grow your own, you can either chop and use what ya can, or freeze until needed. Or.....

Using the same cheap Universal grinder, take fresh peppers, use the coarse grind plate and grind fresh whole peppers thru it. This is what you end up with. Raw pieces about the size of a garden pea.

Tossed in the dehydrator, you now have peppers that need no refrigeration, no freezer. Just keep in an airtight jar until needed. I figure they shrink to about 1/4 of the original size.

What you end up with after dehydrating.

So there you have it. Something I though might interest some, hope you find it useful
    https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

great use of the #2, todd -

looks like some wonderful, aromatic and surely delicious home-grown pepper dust and flakes there ~ points-worthy for sure!
    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
    Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

I just had a sympathy sweat across the nose bridge...WHEE! My Thais are still drying...maybe we do a swap? :{)
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Great idea!!

Comment

Good ideas Todd
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X