The price of fish ..yikes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The price of fish ..yikes!

The other day I watched Bobby Flay do some swordfish steaks cubed and skewered . I figured I would give it a try with my own twist. Mainly some Lemmon pepper and MH. I was thinking pineapple soaked in tamarin as skewer mates for the swordfish. So off to the store I go. I was going to be pressed for time so I splurged and bought two packs of already cut up onions, mushrooms and...green beans . buying it this way triples the price but as I said I was in a hurry so figured what the heck. I even bought my pineapple peeled and cored. I would regret this later lol.

So off I go to the fish department hoping they would even have swordfish. They did. At 17.99 a pound I guess this is normal but I stood there thinking about it for a few minutes. I buy catfish , salmon, perch and so on but this was my first foray into high end fish. The Chilean Sea Bass was 23.99 a pound. I finally went ahead and pulled the trigger. I did these on the weber so I guess I could've taken pics but I didn't think a meal that took less time to cook than the coals took to get hot warranted one. It was very tasty but it will be a good while before I do them again.
    Weber Smoky Joe
    18" Weber Silver
    22.5" Weber Gold
    22.5" Weber Silver
    UDS X 2
    Masterbuilt 30" MES digital
    Masterbuilt MES 40" digital
    Masterbuilt cold smoke attachment
    Char-Broil Big Easy 3 in 1
    Char-Broil COS with Ron Fischer mods.
    Dual Char-Broil BBQ Bistros
    Blackstone three burner flat top
    5" AMZNPS
    Vortex x 2
    Maverick ET 73
    Maverick ET 732
    Maverick Pro Temp instant read thermometer
    Thermo Works Smoke Dual Channel Thermometer
    Pitmaster iQue 110
    sigpic

We like fish here too, but man they can be really proud of it fo sho.... Ever get the vac packed frozed Tilapia from Costco? Great stuff & reasonable on the wallet.

Great to have on hand & will thaw in water in 30 minutes or so.
    sigpic

Comment

Good lord, that's almost 3X the cost of prime rib

Haven't had swordfish since I lived in Hawaii but I remember eating LOTS of it. We caught it
      https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

I hear ya... was going to do fish on Christmas eve.... might do crab legs at those prices I thought..... uggg....
        Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
        Yoder YS640
        Weber Genesis
        Weber 18.5" Kettle
        Weber Performer
        Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Wow... crap. Lake perch is cheaper..could the SF be any better?

Trivia: The Latin name for Patagonian toothfish is Dissostichus eleginoides. It is sold under the trade names Chilean sea bass in the USA; Merluza negra in Argentina, Peru and Uruguay; Legine australe in France; Mero, in Japan and Bacalao de profundidad in Chile.

The name "Chilean sea bass" was invented by a fish wholesaler named Lee Lantz in 1977. He was looking for a name that would make it attractive to the American market. He considered "Pacific sea bass" and "South American sea bass" before settling on "Chilean sea bass".[2][3] In 1994, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) accepted "Chilean sea bass" as an "alternative market name" for Patagonian toothfish.

Ugly bastages...
          Attached Files
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

KInda like when Dolphin became Mahi-Mahi!

Started to sell in the restaraunts a bit better!
            "Because without beer, things do not seem to go as well"

Comment

I think they should have worked a little more on the name "Scrod" How that relates to the price of swordfish I have no idea
              sigpic

The New Braunfels Black Diamond smoker
              Assorted other meat burners/smokers

Comment

Lucky for me, I live in a fishing town. If I do the work, I can buy whole Albacore for 2-3 bucks a pound. Other fish not so reasonable. White sea bass around 6 bucks I think. But that's comin right off the boats from local guys.
                JT

Comment

I remember reading about the fish names. They went with Mahi so Americans did not think that they were eating flipper I think. That Sea Bass thing looks too mean to taste good but it does. You folks should have seen me standing in my kitchen holding that 30 dollar package of meat. It was about the size of two New York strips.
                  Weber Smoky Joe
                  18" Weber Silver
                  22.5" Weber Gold
                  22.5" Weber Silver
                  UDS X 2
                  Masterbuilt 30" MES digital
                  Masterbuilt MES 40" digital
                  Masterbuilt cold smoke attachment
                  Char-Broil Big Easy 3 in 1
                  Char-Broil COS with Ron Fischer mods.
                  Dual Char-Broil BBQ Bistros
                  Blackstone three burner flat top
                  5" AMZNPS
                  Vortex x 2
                  Maverick ET 73
                  Maverick ET 732
                  Maverick Pro Temp instant read thermometer
                  Thermo Works Smoke Dual Channel Thermometer
                  Pitmaster iQue 110
                  sigpic

Comment

ugh...

mahi is not the mammal dolphin(aka flipper).

It is the dolphin fish. Coryphaena hippurus
                    Just because you welded some shit together doesnt make it a WSM.

Twitter: @GrubSeeker

Comment

We just don't hafta buy much seafood...FIL is a commercial fisherman, bro in law got a big azz boat & brings us filets all the time. So fish/shrimp/oysters/crabs are no problem here...Sux that stuff costs like that...But I do know first hand the cost involved & maintaining a commercial boat & species permit. And OBTW...Flipper sux...what a pest...won't say noooo more....
                      Sunset Eagle Aviation
                      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
                        We just don't hafta buy much seafood...FIL is a commercial fisherman, bro in law got a big azz boat & brings us filets all the time. So fish/shrimp/oysters/crabs are no problem here...Sux that stuff costs like that...But I do know first hand the cost involved & maintaining a commercial boat & species permit. And OBTW...Flipper sux...what a pest...won't say noooo more....
                        exactly. IF you can afford to fish or shrimp anymore. cost of diesel is nuts compared to the loading price of shrimps & now,between the predatory asian prawn & a virus they're getting from pond raised stuff that escaped you may not even see wild gulf shrimp in 10 years...

BTW,ther was a story on the news 2 days ago about the rebranding of fish on the market. stuff like Haddock & Cod or even tilefish(high mercury content)relabeled as snapper & such..
                        personally, I can tell the difference any day of the week having been on the blue water all my life....

make sure you buy fresh w/ the skin still on it.
                        brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
                        18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
                        cast iron Hibachi
                        22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
                        & rotisserator
                        12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
                        stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
                        Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
                        http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
                        my music recordings-
                        http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

Working...
                        X