Gravlox storage time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gravlox storage time?

Someone posted this question on another forum I belong to and thought I would ask it here as I also want to know the answer. Seeing as we have members across the pond they might know the answer.
    Once lox has been "cured" and smoked, how long is it safely edible with normal refrigeration? Can you freeze it for later use?

PBC Drum Smoker
    Bradley Digital 4 Rack
    THE BIG EASY INFRARED TURKEY FRYER
    Miss Piggy Smoker
    Sedona SD-9000 food dehydrator

Originally posted by devo View Post
    Someone posted this question on another forum I belong to and thought I would ask it here as I also want to know the answer. Seeing as we have members across the pond they might know the answer.
    Once lox has been "cured" and smoked, how long is it safely edible with normal refrigeration? Can you freeze it for later use?
    I am no expert, but have kept smoked salmon that was brined & smoked vacuum packed in the fridge for several weeks (got some in the fridge now that is aboot 6 weeks in)..... Personally, I don't like to freeze it, because it seems to lose a lot of its quality when frozen after smoking...... I would think that if it was sliced thinly, then frozen, it would lose even more quality & the texture would be undesirable..... Just thinking oot loud.
    sigpic

Comment

Here's a pretty good thread on gravlax from over at the FOTW forums. Tas will surely be along shortly, and hopefully give you some more info.
      sigpic

Smoked-Meat certified Sausagehead

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1443745685

Comment

I've frozen brined and smoked fish for months, while its never as good as fresh it's awsum for soups chowder and the like.
        Back in the day I used to have 60 kg of tuna in the freezer at anyone time
        sigpic

Mary had a little lamb her father shot it dead, now it goes to school with her between two lumps of bread

Comment

Originally posted by Hoser View Post
          Here's a pretty good thread on gravlax from over at the FOTW forums. Tas will surely be along shortly, and hopefully give you some more info.
          Thank You for that link. It was very informative

PBC Drum Smoker
          Bradley Digital 4 Rack
          THE BIG EASY INFRARED TURKEY FRYER
          Miss Piggy Smoker
          Sedona SD-9000 food dehydrator

Comment

Working...
          X