Drummers a ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drummers a ?

Do yall get ALOT of moisture build up in the bottom a yer drum?

I finally drilled a drain hole in the bottom an put a drip pan under there before the charcoal basket an pan floated away!
    sigpic

I do get some moisture at the bottom. Not a lot but there is always some. After the cook is done I pull out the charcoal basket and ash tray and tip the drum over to let it drain, then I leave the top off so whatever is left can evaporate.
    Last weekend had two butts in the drum for about 15 hours and there might have been 1/2 a cup of water at the bottom.

Comment

There's usually some in there at the end. Sometimes more than others. The drum seems to be a pretty moist cooking environment. Seems like I get a lot more if I shut down the vents and snuff out the fire after a cook. Occasionally I'll just let the coals burn out if there is a ton of grease in them and I don't feel like reusing them next time. Then there is usually a lot less moisture left on the bottom

I used to tip the drum over and pour it out like Smokin' Dick said but now I have the Weber ring in there so if I tip it, it will just go up under the ring and soak into the wood stove gasket. So if there's a lot, I'll just rock the drum back and forth and get most of it to drain out an intake hole then paper towel the rest out. Then let the drum sit open to evaporate the rest.

I like your drain hole idea though.

Dave
      CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
      UDS 1.0
      Afterburner
      Weber Performer
      Blue Thermapen
      Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
      Auber Smoker Controller
      Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
      -
      "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Working...
      X