Yoder YS640 in the rain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yoder YS640 in the rain

Ok so my question is, Has anyone had any problems / issues with using their YS640 or YS480 for that fact in the rain or snow? I know when it is not being used it should be covered or protected, but how do the electronics / control panel hold up if you get caught in a rain / snow storm half way through a smoke?
    Jerry
    YS640
    Weber Performer Platinum
    Master Forge Gasser
    MES 40 x 2
    AMNPS x 2
    AMNTS x 2
    Vortex
    Taylor 808N x 2
    ET-732
    White Thermapen (so fast color can't stick to it)
    Blue Thermapen (Backlit)
    Q Matz

I would suspect, like any electrical/electronic device it must be protected from water.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

If it rains I will keep the hopper/electronics under the eave of the house to keep it dry. Ours really has never been very wet so I am not much help...
      --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
      www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Of course i assume you are running off of a GFI outlet... if not then do not use in the rain... If you do have a GFI outlet then you should be fine. I have used mine in a light rain and have had no issues what so ever. I do kinda stick the plug "under" the grill to keep it dry.... but other wise it does fine, just keep your hopper closed... wet pellets a very bad thing!

Wingman has done several videos in the rain. I assume he has had zero issues as well.. I do not even think he keeps his covered... just lets it sit on his patio...

Snow no issues.. use all the time!... Ran mine in this past week with the temps at 23* outside!
        Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
        Yoder YS640
        Weber Genesis
        Weber 18.5" Kettle
        Weber Performer
        Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by barkonbutts View Post
          Of course i assume you are running off of a GFI outlet... if not then do not use in the rain... If you do have a GFI outlet then you should be fine. I have used mine in a light rain and have had no issues what so ever. I do kinda stick the plug "under" the grill to keep it dry.... but other wise it does fine, just keep your hopper closed... wet pellets a very bad thing!

Wingman has done several videos in the rain. I assume he has had zero issues as well.. I do not even think he keeps his covered... just lets it sit on his patio...

Snow no issues.. use all the time!... Ran mine in this past week with the temps at 23* outside!
          Brian, I will deficiently be using it on a GFI as well as a surge protector. I was just wondering if anyone has had any adverse effects from the rain or snow. If it is going to be a problem then I will have to completely rethink my whole location planning.
          Jerry
          YS640
          Weber Performer Platinum
          Master Forge Gasser
          MES 40 x 2
          AMNPS x 2
          AMNTS x 2
          Vortex
          Taylor 808N x 2
          ET-732
          Blue Thermapen (Backlit)
          Q Matz

Comment

Originally posted by Vicep3 View Post
            Brian, I will deficiently be using it on a GFI as well as a surge protector. I was just wondering if anyone has had any adverse effects from the rain or snow. If it is going to be a problem then I will have to completely rethink my whole location planning.

You sound like you are good to go! The only thing you might want to do if you do not have a cover during storage is to make sure you take the smoke stack to the "down" position as the new stacks do not have a cover. If you have other questions keep on asking, we will get you were you need to be!
            Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
            Yoder YS640
            Weber Genesis
            Weber 18.5" Kettle
            Weber Performer
            Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

I have used the 640 in every weather imaginable. You know that hurricane that blew thru a few months ago. I was smoking ribs! On a generator lol but storming like a mofo and no issues the 640/480/1320 are all amazing the 1320 doesn't even have a cover and it sits out in the rain and no issues doesn't even drop temp when rains is pounding it

Comment

Originally posted by barkonbutts View Post
                You sound like you are good to go! The only thing you might want to do if you do not have a cover during storage is to make sure you take the smoke stack to the "down" position as the new stacks do not have a cover. If you have other questions keep on asking, we will get you were you need to be!
                Thanks Brian!! I really do appreciate all the help I have been getting here!!
                Jerry
                YS640
                Weber Performer Platinum
                Master Forge Gasser
                MES 40 x 2
                AMNPS x 2
                AMNTS x 2
                Vortex
                Taylor 808N x 2
                ET-732
                Blue Thermapen (Backlit)
                Q Matz

Comment

Originally posted by cowleyms View Post
                  I have used the 640 in every weather imaginable. You know that hurricane that blew thru a few months ago. I was smoking ribs! On a generator lol but storming like a mofo and no issues the 640/480/1320 are all amazing the 1320 doesn't even have a cover and it sits out in the rain and no issues doesn't even drop temp when rains is pounding it
                  Cowleyms, that is good to know. If you were out smoking during hurricane Sandy and no problems then I would have to venture a guess that the control panel on the front of the Yoder's must be water tight.
                  Jerry
                  YS640
                  Weber Performer Platinum
                  Master Forge Gasser
                  MES 40 x 2
                  AMNPS x 2
                  AMNTS x 2
                  Vortex
                  Taylor 808N x 2
                  ET-732
                  Blue Thermapen (Backlit)
                  Q Matz

Comment

yep it is extremely water tight and no issues on the pellets getting wet either. i had nothing covered at all during the entire cook. it ran like a dream as usual.

Comment

Mine is on a covered porch. But this summer had a hell'ova storm rolls through while doing ribs. The unit temp dropped 50*...went to heat up...then kept on chuggin'. Good ribs. No problems.
                      Mark

Homemade 22 year old "Pro-smoker"
                      Yoder YS640
                      Smoke daddy
                      100% Lumberjack pellets

Comment

Yea I have the thermal jacket and it was unaffected by any weather

Comment

Working...
                        X