Q&A on jerky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q&A on jerky

I'm in the process of smoking some jerky. The question is, after I'm done, I'll be vacuum sealing in half pound batches, can u freeze, or u just leave in the frig, or like most gas stations there sitting at room temp.. I know most batches I make get eaten right way. Just wondering? I'll post the finished product when done.
    sigpic

22’ kettle
    5 burner gas grill
    Anova
    Hobart Meat Grinder 4822 series
    F.Dick 12 Ltr. Sausage Stuffer

There's only two types of Beer: Cold and Free.
    _____
    Jim

short answer - yes, you can freeze vacuum-sealed packages.

longer answer - depending on the "dryness level, what i often do is simply keep the jerky in a jar that has some holes poked in the lid. stored this way, the jerky would last for months (potentially even longer than that), except for the fact that i have 4 kids.
    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
    Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

Depending on moisture... vac'd jerky would be "shelf stable" for quite a while. Freezing is a better idea. That's a guarentee for months easily.
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Care of Jerky

After many batches of jerky, someone on the forum clued me into spraying with a pottasium sorbate solution and then letting it dry. That keeps mold from forming on the jerky, which I ran into with one batch. It was a ratio of one ounce to 42 ounces of water. I found the PS at a store selling home brewing supplies.
        Arizona Deano
        "Illegitimas Non-Carborundum!"

"Life is tough. Its tougher when you're stupid."
        John Wayne

Comment

That makes sense, I know when I freeze vegetables in vacuum bags the vegetables get a little soggy when reopened.
          sigpic

22’ kettle
          5 burner gas grill
          Anova

_____
          Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Kicken Asphalt View Post
            That makes sense, I know when I freeze vegetables in vacuum bags the vegetables get a little soggy when reopened.
            They get "soggy"... because the freezing process causes the moisture/water in the cells to rupture the walls.
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
              They get "soggy"... because the freezing process causes the moisture/water in the cells to rupture the walls.
              Thanks for the info.
              sigpic

22’ kettle
              5 burner gas grill
              Anova

_____
              Jim

Comment

Originally posted by smokerdean View Post
                After many batches of jerky, someone on the forum clued me into spraying with a pottasium sorbate solution and then letting it dry. That keeps mold from forming on the jerky, which I ran into with one batch. It was a ratio of one ounce to 42 ounces of water. I found the PS at a store selling home brewing supplies.
                Interesting. Never heard this before. I like my jerky a little moist so I vac seal it and throw it in the fridge. Lasts for well over a month. Not sure how long cause it is usually all gone before 2 months. If I have excess, I throw it in the freezer then the fridge. No issues. I only got mold one time and it was vac sealed and left in the pantry for about 2-3 weeks I believe. I always use Tenderquick when making jerky. I believe the mold was due to moisture and house temps being around 80*
                I rub it every chance I get!

QUOTE = Meat Hunter

Granted, all this is just in my head. Until I win the lotto, or my career as a stripper pays off, I'm forced to use the kitchen counter....

Comment

Working...
                X