I guess I'm ready for you to see it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I guess I'm ready for you to see it.

I haven't posted a pic of my smoker anywhere in over 2 years.
    I plan to smoke some stuff this weekend, and then Wednesday the 17th it goes to get sandblasted inside and out, and painted. So I decided I'd let you all see what it looks like before paint.
    I started this, believe it or not, 12 years ago. It has gone through many changes. From ideas of my own to ideas from a bunch of you guys and elsewhere, it will smoke with the best of the professional rigs. I have smoked thousands of pounds of meat on this over the last 12 years, and plan to smoke thousands more.
    There are still a few minor things left to do before paint, but they won't take a day or two.

Here is the front side. You can see the warmer/smoker on the left, above the firebox. There is still some finish welding and grinding to do. The five foot by 2 foot tank came from a concrete truck. Almost all the rest of this project has been free. With propane igniter and a few other things, I probably don't have 100 bucks in it.

There will be a steel cabinet under this shelf. I have to build it, because of it's oddball dimensions. Gotta have somewhere to store utensils and whatnot.

These door handles turn to tighten the doors. With the silicone seals and these latches, this sucker is darn near air tight. The shelf is catwalk material from the concrete plant.

Check out all those streaks under the smoker doors. It don't do that anymore thanks to the silicone and latches.

Here are a couple of the tuning plates. Some work needs done here before sandblasting.

These racks are getting replaced also. I'm going to build racks out of stainless rod.

Here is the warmer/smoker. Under it you can see the damper handle that closes off the main cooker. There is a damper in here and a separate exhaust stack just for this warmer. With the damper closed, I can use this to warm or bake and adjust the temp with the exhaust damper. Works like a charm. I also have rods that "clip" in the top for smoking sausages.

I can't wait to get this all sandblasted. This upper cabinet needs seasoned.

Here is the firebox. The grate is made of 3/4 inch rebar and is hinged so I can raise it to clean under it. As you can see, it needs it.

Here you can see the gas log lighter. This speeds things up nicely.

And the backside with a nice big firewood basket.

You may be wondering about all these exhaust stacks. Well I've explained one and the one on the other end is pretty self explanatory. The other one coming out of the firebox allows me to get a good fire going without getting all that nasty creosote in the rest of the smoker.

And like this thread, the tail-end. I will certainly post pics when it gets painted too.
    Last edited by Gunslinger; 06-09-2009, 06:52 PM.

Tom

That's one good looking smoker, GS. Looking forward to the pics after you get it painted.
    sigpic
    Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Nice set up, it will look sharp all painted up !!!
      --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
      www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Its a work of beauty. Look forward to seeing her all painted up.
        SCOTT

Comment

That's a fine looking smoker, bet it puts out some good eats.
          jeanie

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yes it has changed some , since the last time I saw it. Good work ... paint will really make it look great.

Comment

I almost forgot. It's getting a canopy and lights too.
              Seen this on ebay and it inspired me.
              Last edited by Gunslinger; 06-09-2009, 07:27 PM.

Tom

Comment

Gunny that is to cool.looks like its been a lot of fun over the years.cant wait to see her all sprussed up.
                2-22.5'' weber
                1-18'' weber
                1 smokey joe
                22.5'' wsm
                24'' smoke vault
                1-outhouse
                Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Holly crap man that thing is huge. and well used..very cool.
                  plasma cut your avitar and tack on the front of it. smokin gunslinger..pretty cool.
                  sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
                  nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

That is an awesome smoker, looking forward to the painted pics.
                    KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Gunny, that is a work of luv!
                      She is gonna be beautiful after that sandblast and paint job, all dressed and ready to go! Can't wait for the pictures!!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

MY GOD!
                        Once that thing gets sandblasted ........
                        You ain't gonna decorate that thing like a dam cake are ya?

Comment

Gonna look good all blasted and painted. I like the seperate exhaust stack on the fire box great idea.

That reminds me how's the giant kettle grill comming along.
                          Steve

Comment

That's a great lookin rig GS....lookin forward to seein the paint job!!
                            Gene

sigpic

The Farm...
                            http://gardenofeatn-rhf.blogspot.com/

Comment

Tell me Pink or Purple ain't happenin!
                              Sunset Eagle Aviation
                              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Working...
                              X