Which Yoder to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Yoder to buy?

I'm ready for a new pellet grill and hope to hear back from Yoder owners on which to select. I'm looking at either the YS640 with comp cart or the YS1320. I know the YS1320 is new on the market but I'm hoping there are some that can tell me with first hand experience the difference between the two. Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

I guess let us get some more info from you. What do you want to do with this smoker. Are you a back yard smoker or do you do Comps, or do you do catering? Knowing those questions will help a bunch!
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

I'm a back yard smoker, no catering or comps at this point in time. I've always liked the looks of the Yoder and the build quality. I like both low and slow and the option for direct heat grilling. As for grilling space both Yoders would be fine. Does one Yoder have better temp stability than the other? Can one grill over the fire on the YS1320 like you can on the YS640? If so which one has more direct heat cooking surface? Does either of the two Yoders use less pellets than the other? Is the heat management system on the YS1320 a proven system or are there bugs, if any, going to be worked out? Thanks in advance for all responses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Comment

Find the one that fits your needs now, and then buy AT MINIMUM the next size larger...funny how we grow into things like that.
        BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
        Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
        I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

It sounds like you want the YS640. You are a backyard smoker I can not think of a time that you will need the larger one. You also CAN NOT grill on the 1320 from what I understand. As for Pellet usage the 1320 will take more to heat up than the 640 but from what I understand the usage after that is just about the same.

I have a Family of 6 and cook for 10 on a regular basis on weekends with the grandparents coming to the house. I am yet to run out of room on the 640. I do have the second shelf which I highly recommend! I have cooked the whole meal on it and did not run out of room and typically have another nights meal cooking at the same time, cause that is the way we do things... The comp cart is nice but I have NO issue wheeling mine around on the standard wheels. I have a paver patio so it is not a smooth surface and it gives me NO issues with moving. Just can not see justifying the cost for the bigger wheels and the stainless tabletop.. I have outside patio table I use as well but just for big heavy trays of meat.

As for the bugs with either system it sounds like they have everything worked out on both machines. I am running the latest software and I have had zero issues. Some of the issues people are having is they keep looking at their food while it is cooking.... if your looking your not cooking... this causes the pit temp to drop then it cause the auger to feed more pellets and sometimes it runs up the temp if it is cold outside and you get a quick drop. It will be more aggressive with the heat up and WILL over shoot the desired temp... whose fault is it... the dang person who opened the pit... keep it closed and keep cooking... sorry getting on a soap box here..

Sorry I can not compare the two cowleyms is the only person on this forum that has bought them both and can speak to you about both, but he is in the Marines and I am not sure if he is active right now on here or not.. he had to sell one or both of them a few weeks ago due to a transfer. Maybe you can PM him and get his take on it. He bought the bigger one because he got into the catering gig..

Anyway if you have more questions feel free to ask we will help ya out!!
          Brian

Yoder YS640
          Weber Genesis
          Weber 18.5" Kettle
          Weber Performer
          Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Wife and I have a YS640 but we have no experience with the YS1320. We have had our YS640 for a year now and are very happy with it. Size wise I can't imagine needing a larger grill for home use unless your also interested in competition or catering; and I think a person could pull off competing with a YS640.
            --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
            www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

I would say...go with the YS640. For backyard use, the 1320 is overkill...IMO. If you have a patio or porch you plan on putting it on...and don't plan on moving it around much, skip the comp cart and spend the $700 on something else.
              Example...I had them make custom grill grates out of stainless steel, and I love them! Grill cover, maverick ET-732, maze-ing cold smoker... are also some nice extras to look at.
              Mark

Homemade 22 year old "Pro-smoker"
              Yoder YS640
              Smoke daddy
              100% Lumberjack pellets

Comment

Okay, not looking to highjack this thread, but I have a question on performance of the pellet as opposed to an offset. Do you get the same smoke penetration with a pellet as with an offset? I like the temp consistency of a pellet, but not sure about the smoke level? Sorry for buttttting in
                sigpic

The New Braunfels Black Diamond smoker
                Assorted other meat burners/smokers

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke'n Dave View Post
                  Okay, not looking to highjack this thread, but I have a question on performance of the pellet as opposed to an offset. Do you get the same smoke penetration with a pellet as with an offset? I like the temp consistency of a pellet, but not sure about the smoke level? Sorry for buttttting in

This is the big debate with pellet smokers... some say you do others will say you do not get as much smoke flavor... I am on the side that says you do get good smoke flavor.. I think some of the people who say they do not get as much smoke flavor is because they no longer get a creosote taste on the meat because the pellets burn so efficiently... most know on here you want Thin Blue smoke when you are smoking not the white stuff that you can get with an offset smoker sometimes if you do not have an efficient fire going. If you want more smoke flavor then most of us pellet smokers use the Amazen Tube or AMPS to supplement smoke levels to get them were we want them. If I am doing a big hunk of meat then I use the additional smoke.

When I do my butts and briskets, I get just as good as a smoke ring if not better with the pellet than I did with other contraptions I had prior to the Yoder. Hope that helps with what you are asking.
                  Brian

Yoder YS640
                  Weber Genesis
                  Weber 18.5" Kettle
                  Weber Performer
                  Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

I put a charcoal basket in the bottom of my pellet burner cabinet. I can definitely tell the difference in the smoke ring and flavor of the smoke. When i go with or without the charcoal basket.

I would have to say a little less smoke and smoke ring with a pellet burner. But less of a chance of getting the bad smoke flavor. Especially compared to an offset!

Many people enjoy the little less smoke. And there are ways to increase the smoke profile on a pellet burner. Using time, temp, and additional smoke generating.

Same as an offset. Some use all wood and some use all charcoal. Some use a combination of both.

I am waiting for Yoder to put a pellet burner on an offset. So you could do either, or both!!

Put it opposite the firebox at the bottom of the Stockton.

"Because without beer, things do not seem to go as well"

Comment

Originally posted by barkonbutts View Post
                      This is the big debate with pellet smokers... some say you do others will say you do not get as much smoke flavor... I am on the side that says you do get good smoke flavor.. I think some of the people who say they do not get as much smoke flavor is because they no longer get a creosote taste on the meat because the pellets burn so efficiently... most know on here you want Thin Blue smoke when you are smoking not the white stuff that you can get with an offset smoker sometimes if you do not have an efficient fire going. If you want more smoke flavor then most of us pellet smokers use the Amazen Tube or AMPS to supplement smoke levels to get them were we want them. If I am doing a big hunk of meat then I use the additional smoke.

When I do my butts and briskets, I get just as good as a smoke ring if not better with the pellet than I did with other contraptions I had prior to the Yoder. Hope that helps with what you are asking.
                      Agreed! I've had mine for about 6 months now, going from a Masterbuilt gasser. The smoke isnt AS strong, but still has a very satisfying and more consistently achieved flavor, even on short smokes. I smoked a load of chicken thighs and breasts last nite for only about 1.5 hrs and the smoke flavor was great and not overpowering using only mesquite pellets and no AMPS.

To the OP, its hard to imagine needing more room than the YS640 for backyard use, but DO get the 2nd shelf option.
                      Mike
                      Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
                      POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
                      Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke'n Dave View Post
                        Not butting in at all. I used a cheap off-set charcoal unit for 3 years before buying my YS640. I used a combo of charcoal AND oak wood for heat, so as to cut cost rather than running on charcoal alone.
                        The smoke flavor from that cheap off-set was intense/very strong, and my pallet grew accustomed to that deep heavy smoke flavor.
                        When I switched to the pellet grill, it had a very mild smoke flavor. I even called Yoder because I thought I was cooking improperly. But soon, my pallet became adjusted and I was tasting meat again...not just smoke! Not to mention being able to taste the different spices and rubs I would apply to my foods.
                        As to the penetration...I get a very deep beautiful smoke ring on my foods. But the smoke FLAVOR isn't as pronounced. I get a beautiful balance of meat, smoke and seasoning from my pit.
                        Hope this answers your question.
                        Mark

Homemade 22 year old "Pro-smoker"
                        Yoder YS640
                        Smoke daddy
                        100% Lumberjack pellets

Comment

Thanks for the info guys, I really think a Yoder may be the way for me to go. Sorry for the interruption Ducaticraig
                          sigpic

The New Braunfels Black Diamond smoker
                          Assorted other meat burners/smokers

Comment

I'm sure there are quite a few who are interested in getting a Yoder. If the direct heat grilling space is similar between the 640 & 1320 I will go with the overkill 1320 unit. For me, bigger is better in this case. I'm sure I will change my mind two or three times before I make my final decision but I do know I will get a Yoder. Thanks everyone for your input.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

If you go with the 1320, post some reviews here. Im sure a lot of people are curious how it performs. Good luck with your decision.
                              Mike
                              Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
                              POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
                              Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

Comment

Working...
                              X